update on sarah

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well its been a harrowing weekend with sarah and her severe allergic reactions but she is much better today. I believe it was her food so of course i have gotten rid of it and washed out her food bin. She had 2 real bad reactions saturday after i fed it. you know i can take the fast panting with the reaction but my gosh when they do that mouth open gagging noise of i seriously cant breath stuff its scares the living crap outa you. so anyway the people food i decided to feed her tysons grilled chicken in the bag and the 90 second bag of brown rice well let me tell ya i didnt have any better sucess with that sunday as she reacted severely to the rice. so im like ok i guess there is something in these things that is still upsetting her so i take monday off work as i dont feel comfortable leaving her still and 7am im a food lion to get boneless skinless real chicken breasts. several packs of it and some carpet cleaner in case its the carpet. well sarah was throwing up monday morning after i fed her the tysons grilled chicken and i mean like 4 times or so i get back with the real chicken and i guess the benadryl i gave her before i left was working cause she came running in hungry and im omg its going to take 1 hour to cook chicken(no i dont know how to boil it). so i give her a some of a hamburger patty and some royal canin i keep for emergencies like this as i know she is not allergic and she actually laid down for 1/2 hour straight and slept. first time i think all weekend she has not got up after 15 minutes in some kinda distress. (mommy was also able to get some much needed sleep) so i gave her the rest of the hamburger and the chicken when it was ready and she is doing fine now. All the hives are gone and redness and swelling. she is completely normal as of today (well except for seasonal allergies). i went and got some natural balance lamb and rice and gave her a small bit of that this am with her chicken and no problems. i felt she was still hungry on just chicken and i dont think she can get all she need from it so im going to keep adding in the kibble and give her the chicken and see how it goes. sorry this is so long but i dont know how to tell a short story lol. thank god she is back to normal now. and thank everyone who answered on the last post about her.

L

Lucy-licious

OMG!! sounds like you both need some time to calm down after such a terrifying few days.
so glad she is making a good recovery and that you seem to have pinpointed her allergy source so quickly.
Lucy is also allergic to chicken based kibble along with duck and turkey and rice. She now eats Lamb and vegetable and is doing OK with it :)
I hope Sarah continues to improve and get better :hug: to you both xx

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Wish I could reach out and give you some hugs. :hug:What a fright our babies can give us. I don't know if it applies, but makes me think of that old expression. "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger." :*(

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, gosh! I am sooo glad she is doing better and you figured out that it is quite possibly the food she was eating. I know that is just so nerve wracking!!! **hugs** to you and Sarah.

The pre-cooked chicken as all kinds of flavoring/preservatives so that is why she had a reaction. Boiling chicken is easy! You just throw it in a pot with some water and get it boiling until it is no longer pink inside. Nothing special.

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I've actually heard from my vet and my specialty dog food store that chicken (as an ingredient in food as well as home cooked) can cause allergies. You might want to take the step to get her allergies checked. That way you can pinpoint exactly what happened and try to avoid those allergens. Good luck!

I'm having hive issues over last 2 days with my bully (Rocco). Not sure what the cause is. No change in dog food or treats. The only thing that happened was that he got a hold of my son's ballpoint pen and chewed it up enough to get to the ink in the pen. No plastic parts were ingested (that I can tell). So - I'm taking into his vet tomorrow to get him checked out and have his allergy tests done.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2913]KristinMarie[/MENTION]: I see you are from my area. Did you happen to go to Slobberfest? My Bea came down with a horrible case of hives AT THE EVENT! Wouldn't it be strange if....? I know. Long shot. But I had to ask!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
dust mites can be present in all kibble which is what the dog is allergic to and not always the protein in the kibble,karen

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
@KristinMarie : I see you are from my area. Did you happen to go to Slobberfest? My Bea came down with a horrible case of hives AT THE EVENT! Wouldn't it be strange if....? I know. Long shot. But I had to ask!

Hi there! I just got back from the vet myself due to major hives outbreak that started yesterday morning, was getting better with benadryl and then this morning was super bad! Worst hives outbreak he has had (all over body). What is interesting is that my vet (Factoria Animal Hospital in Bellevue) said she has been seeing allergy attacks for all breeds all week. She thinks the recent rains (first major long rain for the fall started this week) may have loosened some airborne pollen allergens that are causing all kinds of issues.

She also put me on the Temaril-P. Starts with high dose for 4 days than tapers off for another 7 days. He is miserable with itchy skin and bumps everywhere. She gave me a prescription antihistime shampoo and conditioner to use that I'm going to do right now. This should help topically with his symptoms until the oral meds start working. I hope he feels better soon! I'll keep you posted. Good to meet another bully momma in the area. Let's stay in touch!

KM

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Hi there! I just got back from the vet myself due to major hives outbreak that started yesterday morning, was getting better with benadryl and then this morning was super bad! Worst hives outbreak he has had (all over body). What is interesting is that my vet (Factoria Animal Hospital in Bellevue) said she has been seeing allergy attacks for all breeds all week. She thinks the recent rains (first major long rain for the fall started this week) may have loosened some airborne pollen allergens that are causing all kinds of issues.

She also put me on the Temaril-P. Starts with high dose for 4 days than tapers off for another 7 days. He is miserable with itchy skin and bumps everywhere. She gave me a prescription antihistime shampoo and conditioner to use that I'm going to do right now. This should help topically with his symptoms until the oral meds start working. I hope he feels better soon! I'll keep you posted. Good to meet another bully momma in the area. Let's stay in touch!

KM

Isn't that interesting! So maybe I don't have to cross Marymoor park off my list entirely. LOL I'm like: "Hell if I'm ever going back THERE again!" What's funny about that is Marymoor has what has got to be the NICEST off leash dog park in the universe. It's truly a "destination" for dog lovers.

I hope Rocco is doing better [MENTION=2913]KristinMarie[/MENTION]! That Temaril-P had worked it's magic by 4pm that same night! Amazing stuff. Poor little Bea was in agony before and that evening, after supper, she rolled over on her back and wanted me to tickle her! Yes. That's how GOOD she was feeling!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.