Bella is sick... Days after shots

sporako

Jul 22, 2011
Madison WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Duchess
So Bella, who is 11 weeks old now... And has been home only for a week, and whom visited the vet only five days ago (shots)

is now sick.

She is displaying the symptoms and sounds of Kennel Cough.

Two days ago she had broken out in a rash on her belly it loked like small red bumps -

tummy.jpg

i thought it was nothing because they didn't last long, they disappeared the next day. I figured maybe we played too close to some plant that doesn't agree with her..

Well today (one day after rash gone) when I got home from work, she was honking and looking at me with big scared eyes. After calming her down, shes acting fine.. just a little uncomfortable, honking from time to time... and then throwing up a bit of pflem once in awhile.

-Shes eating fine
- Drinking water
- Going to the bathroom fine (both) her poo is very soft

8:00 am visit to the vet scheduled... He is a recommended bully vet who i trust... I just hope he can figure this out, and make her better... QUICK!

Did I make a mistake getting her kennel cough shot done? Poor Bella :( I feel horrible for her! She's on the couch sleeping -

IMG_1062.jpg

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, poor baby! Keep us posted on what the vet says!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
There are people here who believe the intranasal bortedella can lead to pneumonia. Did she get the vaccine or the nasal dose? Anyway..it's good you are going to the vet first thing tomorrow..let us know! My vet is one who doesn't believe in this theory and we had no problem with the nasal bortadella...but wanted to put it out there!

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
She did get the nasal dose -

What I guess I ment to say is - She got the spray in the nose - is that what your talking about?

Poor Bella!

Ooooohhh...I didn't even think of this, but yes, the one in the nose. Some, I think, have gotten pneumonia from it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
She did get the nasal dose - What I guess I ment to say is - She got the spray in the nose - is that what your talking about?Poor Bella!
Yes! That's what I meant...there is a thread here on the nasal vaccine...maybe it's totally unrelated but some pretty smart bully people are concerned about the nasal dose. Your vet will know she had this nasal form and ask him about it leading to pneumonia. I'm so glad you are going first thing in the morning...bullies are very sensitive to lung problems. I talked to my vet about this and she specializes in bullies and has one herself and she does NOT believe this theory..but there is no reason to believe some bullies could be affected differently. Don't panic..if you notice her getting worse or having trouble breathing go to an emergency vet..otherwise your vet will be able to help!

OP
sporako

sporako

Jul 22, 2011
Madison WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Duchess
Thanks everyone for the support.. I will let you know what the Vet says.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
my vet is also very familiar with bulldogs and Oliver got the nasal spray with no problems. Waiting anxiously for the update on Bella!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Definitely take her to the vet first thing in the morning, or an Emergency clinic if she gets worse tonight, this is nothing to play with. she probably has pneumonia and I sure hope she gets well soon. They can get really sick really fast and it can be fatal. The vet may want to keep her for a few days and maybe put her in a nebulizer to help break up the mucus. There is a tread on here some where that shows a pup fighting for it's life with pneumonia after it was administered the intranasal bortedella. Please keep us posted and we will keep her in our prayers.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
poor thing,i hope she gets better quickly,i hate vaccinations i know dogs need them when they are pups but its scary,annie is due her booster ,i asked the vet about the tilter test and it seems they only test for 3 if the vaccines and not the full 5 that we have here in the uk,bit dumb really,there is growing opinion that when a dog has had its first lot they dont need boosters,ive discussed this with the vet and i have 3 months after they are due to make my mind up,its a hard one for sure,karen

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my i hope bella is ok. for sure let us know what the vet says.

OP
sporako

sporako

Jul 22, 2011
Madison WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Duchess
Sooo I just got back from the vet, and I'm feeling much better about things... We are not out of the woods yet - but here is what He said.

= He thinks its just an upper respiratory issue caused by the same reaction that lead to the bumps on her tummy. He gave her an anti inflammatory and a 14 day cycle of antibiotics *(via time release shot so no pills to deal with, anyone have experience with this type of shot? He said he feels very comfortable using it with Bulldogs and when possible he uses this method)

He thinks she will get better very quickly with the meds - he said if she isnt feeling any better by Thursday - to bring her in for xray's

Bottom line is after we got home from the vet, she has not made any coughing sounds (yet) and she appears to be in better spirits then she was last night.

So, I hope she feels better! Otherwise Thursday I will take her in for more tests

Thanks everyone for the advice and thoughts

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks for the update. We'll hold our breaths until Thursday. Please kiss Bella for us! :heart:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh that is so good to hear. im glad bella is better today. hugs from sarah and me

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online