Advice PLEASE!!

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Hi. I am late chiming in on this, but my bullie, Chaos, just got over and is still being treated for a rash that looks identical to that. It was everywhere from his neck to his bottom and all over the insides of his legs. It was a staph infection and he was given an antibiodic and a medicated shampoo. His is almost completely cleared up.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Our baby will get the red rash after he's been playing or rolling in the grass, some have said theirs will get it after being in wet grass.. The bumps I haven't ever dealt with. Can u have food shipped there, or could the vet order some for u? A lot of people here order from petflow.com. I feed lex avoderm grain free salmon and potato and does great on it. Anything is better than pedigree I used to feed lex that when he was a puppy and can tell such a big difference after the switch. How does he do with the benydrl dies it help him any?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Hmm well if it came on so suddenly then you are probably right and it is something he came into contact with maybe. I honestly havent ever dealt with this either. As far as changing foods goes it sounds like you are kinda stuck. Maybe find out what the natural one is, I know there are bad foods that have that name and some that are pretty good. petflow doesnt go outside of the us I am almost sure so that wouldnt help you either. Might wanna think about raw food tho if you keep having problems. Might be worth look in into anyhow. Hope the bumps heal up fast! :)

OP
C

carebehr

Jul 30, 2011
He is so much better since he went to the off base vet. It is funny how he took five minutes to look over Bruiser and prescribed 3 medicines for two weeks. He also gave him a shot to help with whatever hives are left or to just help with the healing process. Seeing how it was after a walk, I am going to be careful. I think it was the fresh cut grass that did it to him.
Anyways, I took time today to browse around to find 'good' dog food. I never put much thought into it. I wrote down every brand that we carry on base. I looked them up and everything was a 1 out of 5. I couldn't believe it. So I did some research and I wanted to know your thoughts. BESIDES the raw food, what would you feed your own bulldog?

Top brands like Orijen are given to dogs. I guess show dogs or just if you want to give them the best. It is $66 for a 30lb bag. It is supposed to be the best for any dog. I looked up just for bulldogs and these brands came up: Wellness, Canidae, Innova. People who have bulldogs and suffer from allergies reccomended: Merrick, AvoDerm, Royal Canin. Royal Canin also makes a dry food just for bulldogs. Here is the link: Royal Canin Medium Breed Bulldog (24) | PetFoodDirect) I was thinking of trying the Canidae All Life Stage Grain Free Salmon Meal Formula Dry Dog Food (Canidae All Life Stage Grain Free Salmon Meal Formula Dry Dog Food | PetFoodDirect) OR Canidae Chicken Meal and Rice Formula Dry Dog Food (Canidae Chicken Meal and Rice Formula Dry Dog Food | PetFoodDirect). What do you guys think? I want to start with the cheapest. My husband is deployed and finding a job on this island on base is ridiculous. So money is a bit tight since it is just him with a career and Bruiser just went to the vet and will be getting fixed. Let me know. I greatly appreciate your thoughts. :D

OP
C

carebehr

Jul 30, 2011
I didn't see the other post for some reason until now. Anyways, cancel on the Canidae. I just read reviews from people saying that dogs die from eating this. It seems to be 50-50 with this food. I am struggling. Since 'lexterwayne' said AvoDerm, that is my next choice to look into. I just saw your post. Thank you again!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i dont kibble feed but a lot of bully owners i know feed orijen its 1 of the highest rated foods ,karen

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure about the royal canine personally or havent seen it on here much I dont think. Orijon is a great food from what I have heard so dont rule that one out down the road but starting cheaper is a good idea if money is tight because all that you mentioned are good foods and 100% better than what your baby eats now. Avoderm is a wonderful food, I was feeding it for a short time with no problems but then wanted to try the fromm so I switched. These bullies are all so diff that what works for one wont work for another so start slow with one protein and make note of it if you have to. After having changed SO many times in the last 3 years I wish I had kept a journal so I could remember what worked and didnt and why. lol. When you switch brands do a very slow transition like 3 old to 1 part new for at least a few days then up it to half and half. I always go wayy too slow but in the end is better for their tummies being so sensitive. Also once you are using say avoderm and maybe no liking how chicken is reacting you can switch within the brand with hardly any transition stage at all so I would start with one brand and work your way thru the brand before moving on if you feel you need to.

OP
C

carebehr

Jul 30, 2011
If I could, I would give my dogs the best. But there is no way I could afford Orijen and my husband (even though Bruiser is his) wouldn't pay that much for a bag of kibble. AvoDerm might be the choice. I am still going to do more homework on it. Thanks for the advice about keeping a journal. I have a memory like an elephant though. But it's better to be safe than waste money. Thank you!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the advice about keeping a journal. I have a memory like an elephant though. But it's better to be safe than waste money. Thank you!!

Well I wish I could say the same but can barely remember yesterday. haha Wasnt this bad until I had my skin babies and now well.... I give up. :D

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Aww I hope he is doing better after his benedryl. Everyone has given you great advice. I am also a Fromm user and get it delivered. I am not sure if they will go overseas but you can try petflow.com and there are other sites that will deliver food as well. Can we possibly see that bully face????

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I would stay away from the Royal Canin..all of it. Avoderm is a good choice and actually there are quite a few here that feed Canidae and it is highly recommended by many people.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I would go for the Canidae Salmon from the choices you selected. Everything I have read about Royal Canin is terrible, and some bullies have chicken sensitivities/allergies. The grain free salmon sounds like the safest choice

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] is right...look for one that is grain free :)

OP
C

carebehr

Jul 30, 2011
I would stay away from the Royal Canin..all of it. Avoderm is a good choice and actually there are quite a few here that feed Canidae and it is highly recommended by many people.
I have read bad reviews for Candiae too. I just don't know. I will do more searching later. I have to prep for a big typhoon. I will post pictures soon of my bulldog. :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.