Anyone ever seen this on their dog?

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I thought Bear just had sticky matted hair in a spot and turned out he was losing a patch and this is the result. I don't know what ringworm does in dogs but is that what this looks like? Bear is kept inside the house at all times with brief moments outside to take care of his business. The only things I've changed recently have been his food from Fromm Surf n Turf to Fromm Beef Frittata and I made him homemade treats from spent grain used to brew beer, but he had this prior to giving him those.

This is what it looks like from a distance:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is when the fur around is moved:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I dont know what that is. However, ringworm is a fungal infection.

Pebblesmom

Apr 21, 2010
Pebbles recently had a spot that looked like that. I had read another post on here where it was mange. I got concerned and took her to the vet Monday. He did several scrapings and said it was staph, put her on cipro.

Vanessa

May 9, 2011
Tomball Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie and Cami
My dog had something similar but she was already on cipro because she had demodex (a type of mange) the vet wasn't sure what it was but it went away after a couple of weeks.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
gypsy has demodex mange and hers doesn't look like that other than the hair loss. No red ring like that.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
could just be a hot spot,clean it regularly and see how it goes ,if it doesnt fade or is giving him trouble then see your vet,karen

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Looks like it could be a hot spot. Try antifungal creams, over the counter for atheletes foot, desenex, or even monostat !

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I totally agree with @kerenben and @bubbisapig hot spot.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Looks like it could be a hot spot. Try antifungal creams, over the counter for atheletes foot, desenex, or even monostat !

This would be the same treatment for ringworm as well. Lotrimin works well.

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
Reilly had those type of spots all over. he has severe outdoor allergies along with food allergies. Last time i took him to his dog dermatologist they said it was bacterial infection. he has mites and they ruled it was not mange. he has been on simplicef antibiotic for almost 2 weeks. his back is getting better but the huge hot spot on his belly is still pretty red. i recommend going to the vet and getting it tested. i hope this helps good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
totally agree with it being a hotspot.... shave the aare, keep it clean and do what 'karenben' and 'bubbaisapig' have suggested.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I would get to the VET. Let the VET shave the area or areas and examine the skin. I really try not to self-diagnose or self-treat. Max just had a bought of skin issues, red, dry, flaky patches all over his body. The VET shaved the areas. It ended up being Pyoderma/dermatitis, and Max ended up on Antibiotics for a month because it was bacterial in origin. Plus he gets medicated baths.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
if its persisting get some apple cider vinegar ,water it down if the sore is open and just dab it on the sore ,you can use it neat if the skin isnt broken ,make sure the apple cider vinegar is organic and has mother written on the label,the cloudier the vinegar the better,karen

HuddysBuddy

Mar 14, 2011
Columbia, Pa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Pebbles recently had a spot that looked like that. I had read another post on here where it was mange. I got concerned and took her to the vet Monday. He did several scrapings and said it was staph, put her on cipro.

I think it may be staph also. Hudson started with a few spots that looked like that and got worse. I'd say it started around 4 to 6 months old. We had the vet tell us it was allergies and to change his food, but each change it still happened. We finally got an appt with Dr London (great vet in our area) and I told him it is worse in the "high touch" areas, i.e. shoulders, head, back, anywhere he is petted. They did a blood test and a scrape and said it is actually staph and he keeps getting it because he has an immune deficiency in his skin. We have been on and off of antibiotics trying to find a regimen that works. Right now we bathe him 3 times a week, once with prescription shampoo and conditioner, one benadryl before each meal to stop the itching (if he starts to break out he gets itchy), an antibiotic rinse on his feet every 3 days (to stop the redness and swelling between toes, he chews them when he breaks out), and an antibiotic spray to use on a spot if it gets scratched open. So far, so good, but we still worry. Don't wait around, see the vet, and ask lots of questions. Tell them everything and be "one of those parents." We want them to be happy and healthy and I wish we were on the right path earlier. Good luck and keep us informed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.