Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever seen this on their dog?

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Anyone ever seen this on their dog?

I would get to the VET. Let the VET shave the area or areas and examine the skin. I really try not to self-diagnose or self-treat. Max just had a bought of skin issues, red, dry, flaky patches all over his body. The VET shaved the areas. It ended up being Pyoderma/dermatitis, and Max ended up on Antibiotics for a month because it was bacterial in origin. Plus he gets medicated baths.

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

if its persisting get some apple cider vinegar ,water it down if the sore is open and just dab it on the sore ,you can use it neat if the skin isnt broken ,make sure the apple cider vinegar is organic and has mother written on the label,the cloudier the vinegar the better,karen

Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pebblesmom View Post
    Pebbles recently had a spot that looked like that. I had read another post on here where it was mange. I got concerned and took her to the vet Monday. He did several scrapings and said it was staph, put her on cipro.
    I think it may be staph also. Hudson started with a few spots that looked like that and got worse. I'd say it started around 4 to 6 months old. We had the vet tell us it was allergies and to change his food, but each change it still happened. We finally got an appt with Dr London (great vet in our area) and I told him it is worse in the "high touch" areas, i.e. shoulders, head, back, anywhere he is petted. They did a blood test and a scrape and said it is actually staph and he keeps getting it because he has an immune deficiency in his skin. We have been on and off of antibiotics trying to find a regimen that works. Right now we bathe him 3 times a week, once with prescription shampoo and conditioner, one benadryl before each meal to stop the itching (if he starts to break out he gets itchy), an antibiotic rinse on his feet every 3 days (to stop the redness and swelling between toes, he chews them when he breaks out), and an antibiotic spray to use on a spot if it gets scratched open. So far, so good, but we still worry. Don't wait around, see the vet, and ask lots of questions. Tell them everything and be "one of those parents." We want them to be happy and healthy and I wish we were on the right path earlier. Good luck and keep us informed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads