Seasonal Flank Alopcia

Puckstr33

Apr 21, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
My little girl started losing her hair in early March on both of her flanks and now is mostly bald. She has never itched, scratched or even seem annoyed in the least about it. I took her for her 1 year checkup and Vet said she had seasonal flank. Not to worry,that this just happens with some bullies and it bothers the parents more then the dog. "she was right about that". Does anyone know of anything I can do to speed up growth of her hair? She has not lost anymore hair now for about a month, but nothing seems to be growing back either? Any suggestions what be great. Molly is a very healthy and robust 53 lb. and doesn't have any other health issues.

Cheers, Richard
IMG_0616.jpg

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
My last bullie had it and I did TON of research. And your vet is right. There really isn't anything you can do. It'll get better in the cooler months. I found the better food I gave Max, the slower the progression of the fur loss.

Let me know if you have any questions.

OP
Puckstr33

Puckstr33

Apr 21, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
I transitioned her to Taste of the Wild in May from her puppy food and she seems to really like it. No tear stains, stool issues, or gas problems. I took her to a bulldog meet last weekend and she was the only one that had this.:bully: People are always asking me about her special markings, or did I brand her? LOL

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Molly is such a pretty girl. I have not heard of that form of hair loss in Bulldogs before. I'm glad it doesn't bother her; any chance she'll outgrow it.
People asking if you branded her! Sheeeeesh!

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
No, they don't outgrow it. There was 2 or 3 that had it at the meet-greet I went to this weekend.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i had a 4 year old breeding bitch with this problem,the breeder said there was nothing could be done,the dog had been in kennels had dry seasons when she moved in with us she came into season and her hair grew back,so some do grow hair back ,karen

OP
Puckstr33

Puckstr33

Apr 21, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
Her sides do look like black rubber..But it doesn't see to bother her at all..Good thing she has a cute face, that is what I tell her all the time. LOL If anyone has any suggestions or remedy's I am open to it.

Tracey

Sep 25, 2010
Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
MooShi and Owen
MooShi had same thing. She was bald all around her flanks.Did not bother her at all eighter,lasted almost a year it just recently grew back . She has one small area that hasent yet .They same some times it never grows back . I was thinkin about a weave at one point LOL.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
just be thankful its only seasonal alopecea tho it doesnt look nice at least its not itchy and isnt allergy ,i would give anything for my dog to just have this rather than some contact allergy that they constantly scratch till they need antibiotics,the hair may grow back if the hormones correct themselves,karen

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea spent the spring/summer looking VERY WEIRD with a bad case of seasonal alopecia. Hers didn't itch or seem to bother her either but I monitored the patches of black, rubbery skin closely, hoping for improvement at some point. My vet also confirmed that there's nothing that can really be done about it. Because my other bulldog, Bo, is brindle, people often thought the alopecia was unusual markings and not a skin issue. The good news: mid-August her hair started to fill back in again and the rubbery black skin is now gone completely. As of last week, you cannot even tell she ever had it! Her fur is thick and gorgeous again. THERE IS HOPE! :-)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I also read somewhere that sunlight is good for alopecia. Bea spent the better part of her summer playing in her pool, in the sunshine (when we had it) but I saw no improvement from sunbathing. She did have a blast in the pool though. ha ha
IntoThePool.jpg

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Ive heard of and seen good results with melatonin. We have a bully in rescue with it and his hair is growing back in.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.