I am the worst dog mom ever.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Today was the worst day in a looooong time! So, I get up this morning and I am stumbling around before coffee and feeding the dogs as my husband let me sleep in. I am down helping Gator eat his breakfast and my husband walks in and asks if I saw some bumps that were on Gator. So I actually open my eyes and he is COVERED in HUGE hives!!! One was as big as my fist! There was not a spot bigger than an inch that didn't have hives. I FUREAKED (as you can imagine). So I am running around trying to brush my teeth and put on clothes. I call the vet and he said to just come in but they were closing soon. Well, this morning I was supposed to take my hubby to pick up his work vehicle and they guy who had the keys was only in the office for a bit so we had to go right then...so I told my hubby, go get the car and I will meet you at the place where you are going to park it and drive you to pick up your car.

I run Gator to the vet and he said it was most likely he got stung by a bee or bitten by something since it started with four little bumps after going out this morning and progressed in an hour to his eyes being swollen almost closed, and his body COVERED with hives. He did not think it could be related to his diet. So he gives him two shots and tells me to give him a bunch of benedryl all day and night and if it isn't gone by tomorrow, to take him to the ER vet since it is Sunday.

Ok, so that is over, Gator is alive. I didn't kill him by feeding him a new food lol. So I meet my hubby and drive him back downtown and by the time we get home, we have been gone over two hours. We are having heat advisories here and the red cross has opened places for people without air conditioning it is so HOT.

We get home and guess what???? LUCY IS OUTSIDE!!! I don't know how she snuck out but she had to have been out there the whole time! In our panic, we didn't even double check where she was before we left. She was so hot I was seriously worried about her having a heat stroke. She gulped up a ton of water and flopped onto her side on the cool floor. She was breathing very fast and very heavy. I fed her ice, wiped her with a wet towel for a few minutes then wrapped some ice in the towel and continued to rub that on her belly, chest and head for a good 10 minutes before her breathing regulated, her eyes cleared and she wanted to sit up.

Not to mention, Gypsy has Demodex.....I am the worst mommy ever :(.

Edited to add: Lucy is a basset hound so better able to handle the heat but she is old and has always been a house pet so she is not used to being in the heat.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Wellllllllll, if everyone is ok now, its just a funny story. =-)

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe funny in a few weeks. lol. Right now, I am still coming down. I found a place on Gator where it looks like a bee sting (no stinger but just a small hole with a tidge of blood). Geez....I swear....

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Holy cow what a day, and a close call for Lucy. Good thing you got home when you did. I can see how that could happen in the panic of getting Gator to the vet. You are a great bully mom, so don't beat yourself up too bad because Lucy is OK and you got her cooled down. Hope Gator gets better soon and is back to his ol self. So hopefully the rest of your weekend will be uneventful and relaxing.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks David....Lucy is a Basset so it could have been worse and been one of the bullies. She can handle the heat better than the others but she is old and always been a house dog so not used to being out like that. She is fine now. She jumped on the sofa and I brushed her for about an hour while she snoozed. Gator's hives are mostly gone now. There are a few here and there but they are small.

My summer has SUCKED big time. Between Gator's mystery limp, Dave having two surgeries, my whirlwind trip to FL (where I had no fun), not getting paid for the summer, almost didn't have a contract to work this coming school year (long story), Lucy acting like she was on death's door all summer (getting better), Gypsy and her demodex and now Gator's hives.....I think I am ready to go back to work. lol

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You are a great mama who was overwhelmed. No one is perfect but they are ok and happy and that is all that matters. At least you know tomorrow will be better right? :)

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
You are definitely a good momma don't ever tell ur self differently! Glad everyone and thing is great!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Aw your a good mommy and im so glad all are ok. I think its miller time though lol.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
@GatorRay wow what a summer, just think it can only get better from here, just keep your chin up. Give Gator and Lucy a big hug from us and have a margarita. haha

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:hug:I hope tomorrow is a better day! And I also know your a great mom. Glad Lucy is recovered and Gator is getting better.

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
What a day u had. You're a great mommy! I'm so happy everyone is A-OK violet and I send our hugs and kisses

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Whoa what a day and what a summer! You're a great momma, and everyone in your fam knows it. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.