Limping Puppy

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
That is wondeful news, I have had my fingers crossed for you guys and hopefully he will keep improving as he is. He can be the miracle that proves the other drs wrong. :)

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
A quick update on Truman. He's still getting around but still showing signs of a weak hip/leg. He was doing better and I could almost not detect a limp but then he must have tweaked it again or something and the limp is more pronounced the past few days. I am taking him to see the orthopedic surgeon on Monday to get another x ray - now that he's 15 weeks and it has been a while, they should be able to tell more about what is going on with him and whether or not he will need JPS surgery, if it is a hip dysplasia problem. (Here's a description of JPS, if you're interested: http://vetsurgerycentral.com/jps.htm )

I also notice he sits really funny. I need to get a pic of it but he sits with both back legs almost totally behind him, kind of like he's doing yoga. Does anyone know if that is typical for a younger puppy? It's very bizarre to me and I am wondering if it's another symptom of hip dysplasia or just something pups with loose joints do?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I guess I would need a pic to see what you are talking about. Hope all goes well at the vet, praying for good news!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
hmmmm my boys dont sit that way and havent seen it before. Not sure what it could mean tho. I am so glad you updated us I have been wondering how everything was going now for a little while. Please keep giving us updates on him, I am glad he seems to be doing much better for sure! You guys are in my thoughts.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Super bad news for Truman. Basically worst case scenario - he needs one surgery for one hip, another surgery for another hip to give him a chance at a functional life.

His bad hip is out of socket so JSP surgery won't help that one so he needs an FHO (Femoral Head Ostectomy) but the good hip is basically a time bomb, so he could benefit from the JPS on that one.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet since he is so young and the prognosis is so "iffy" as to whether or not he will ever lead a normal life even with these procedures. Ugh.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Super bad news for Truman. Basically worst case scenario - he needs one surgery for one hip, another surgery for another hip to give him a chance at a functional life.

His bad hip is out of socket so JSP surgery won't help that one so he needs an FHO (Femoral Head Ostectomy) but the good hip is basically a time bomb, so he could benefit from the JPS on that one.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet since he is so young and the prognosis is so "iffy" as to whether or not he will ever lead a normal life even with these procedures. Ugh.

I am so sorry to hear this news [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] ..... my heart is breaking for you. *sob*

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks, I'm super upset. I don't know what the right thing to do is anymore and I hate seeing him go through this.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I know this has got to be a very hard decision. I cannot even imagine. I know whatever you decide to do, it will be in the best interest of Truman. You must be so torn and hurting right now. I cannot even begin to tell you how sorry I am you have to go through such decisions.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
A quick bump to the first post I made on the board when Truman's hip popped out of socket at 10 weeks old - re-reading these on his birthday might be a new tradition for me!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Amazing, thank you for digging this up and sharing again! I am all teary eyed reading it all again, seems like years ago but also like just yesterday!

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
My 11 week old puppy Truman started limping this afternoon. He doesn't seem to want to put weight on his right hind leg. This began without any warning or incident. He hasn't napped today like normal so I don't know if his fast-growing puppy legs are just super tired or there is a problem? He doesn't whine or squirm when I handle the leg but I am concerned - he is tired but currently does not want to stand or walk on it.

Any advice or insight is appreciated.

Ok too weird! I just posted an exact post as urs in bulldog heath... My Memphis is doing the exact same thing... He flat out refuses to put weight on his back left leg n IF he walks he hops like it is really hurt. We r at the vet now waiting... I checked his foot n he doesnt have anything stuck n i do notice his hips look lopsided...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.