Any experience with cherry eye?

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Hi everyone (I posted this elsewhere but thought it fit better here), I found a bulldog looking for a home on craigslist and I'm looking for some advice. The people who have him now rescued him about a year ago but no longer have the time for him. They estimate him to be 2-4 years old. He is around 70 lbs, neutered, and having some skin allergies but is on Purina which I would change immediately. He also has cherry eye in one eye but his current owner said his vet advised him to hold off on surgery. Has anyone has any experience with this surgery? Is it risky or very costly? Thanks in advance!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
you can manipulate the cherry back in but it may not stay in at his age,i think removal is the best thing as tacking works initially but the cherry usually comes back,karen

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
you can manipulate the cherry back in but it may not stay in at his age,i think removal is the best thing as tacking works initially but the cherry usually comes back,karen

From what I've read & what our vet said,
Removing the glad should be a last option because it accounts for something like 30% of tear production. I think the removal method is considered "old school"
." I did read that there is a partial removal method that is gaining popularity.

Have you decided anything about possibly bringing home this bully?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
annie had hers removed and she has only occassional tear staining ,it doesnt always follow that they get eye problems,a bully with no cherry removal can have terrible runny eye ,karen

tleegirl

Jul 6, 2011
I've had several removed in 13 years with my pups and they have never come back and/or had eye problems. I'd remove it.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I chose to do the partial removal method because the bulldog vet here recommended it. She said that she's had better success doing this procedure other than the tacking method. However, she did also say that removal is the last option she'd consider. You can always remove it if the tacking method fails.

From this experience, I say talk to your vet and see what they recommend and what their success rates are. That way, you'd get a feel of how comfortable and knowledgeable they are with the procedure. This was the first time that I've heard of the partial removal and after doing more research when we got home from the consultation visit, my bf and I decided that it was best and that we trusted our vet.

buddy

Jun 29, 2011
try to massage the cherry eye back in. if it wont stay they id have it partially removed.. Not very costly.. i paid 400.00 for the procedure and was told after that some vets could do it cheaper... but ive always believed you get what you pay for..

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
hey everyone thanks for all of your info. I hoped to save this boy from his current situation but it is not looking good at the moment. I told the guy that I was very interested but couldn't come get him until next week (I'm moving to a bigger townhouse this week and do not have 4 hours for the ride there and back anywhere in my schedule) and he said that he's recieved hundreds of emails and wants him gone asap so I doubt he'll still need a home when I have the time to make the trip. I just hope he finds him as good of a home as I was hoping to give him. :*(

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
Its always best to tuck it instead of cutting it!!! Cutting can lead to "dry eye" for the rest of their lives. If it wont stay tucked, then looking at some more permanent is worth considering. Its true that it can be manipulated back in place, but only if it is small and hasn't been there too long. Layla did have the surgery, as well as several fosters. Its common, they heal quickly and its not all that expensive generally.

buddy

Jun 29, 2011
hey everyone thanks for all of your info. I hoped to save this boy from his current situation but it is not looking good at the moment. I told the guy that I was very interested but couldn't come get him until next week (I'm moving to a bigger townhouse this week and do not have 4 hours for the ride there and back anywhere in my schedule) and he said that he's recieved hundreds of emails and wants him gone asap so I doubt he'll still need a home when I have the time to make the trip. I just hope he finds him as good of a home as I was hoping to give him. :*(

awe im sorry to hear... hope it all works out....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.