When to give a bath??

mandyjo

Jun 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Lola was really sick and had diarrhea/vomiting and she smells like it:barf:....But when is it okay to give her a bath? I have been cleaning her with wipes but she needs a good bath. Suggestions????

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Weekly! or if they aren't very active like Gracie, every other week. Use a quality shampoo as they have sensitive skin. We use Selsun Blue and follow up with a doggie shampoo because we don't care for the smell of Selsun Blue but use it because it is supposed to be good for their skin.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Is she feeling better now? I would think that if she is doing better and you don't think it will stress her out too much, then go for it :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig gets weekly baths, usually when he gets home from daycare. As with Gator, Lola should be ok with getting bathed as long as she feels well enough for one.

OP
mandyjo

mandyjo

Jun 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
She usually gets weekly baths but with her being so sick I wasn't sure if it was too soon. But Lola McStinkerson is getting a bath!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm with [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] if she is feeling better go for it. What is she sick from. Hope she feels better soon, poor baby.

OP
mandyjo

mandyjo

Jun 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
She had pancreatitis and some bacterial infection in her intestine, but after an IV and some shots she is feeling better! Now if she would just cooperate long enough to take her pills. I have to say I would rather have her fighting me than being so weak that she just lays there.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Have you tried wrapping her pills in a half slice of cheese?

OP
mandyjo

mandyjo

Jun 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I have tried the cheese.....she somehow eats the cheese and than spits out the pill! And she has to take 3 pills twice a day.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Duke takes two pills every day.. if you can picture I simply open his mouth ( while I baby talk to him ) and I put both pills in the back of his throat and then gently rub his throat.. try not to stress as the dog feels it.. if you place the pill in the back of the throat they have no choice but to swallow it.. then you can give praise and even a treat! ( so it doesn't become a bad experience)

:)

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Duke takes two pills every day.. if you can picture I simply open his mouth ( while I baby talk to him ) and I put both pills in the back of his throat and then gently rub his throat.. try not to stress as the dog feels it.. if you place the pill in the back of the throat they have no choice but to swallow it.. then you can give praise and even a treat! ( so it doesn't become a bad experience)

:)

This is a good idea!

I also put Penny's pills when she had surgery in a little peanut butter. That got kind of messy, so I kind of made a treat/pb sandwich. Just broke one of her treats in half, put enough pb on either side to make it stick & put the pills in the middle. She took them with no problem/

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I sometimes dip the pills in butter or place them inside a slice of hot dog. I know, I know. bad mum for giving hot dog. But they do eat the pill. 4 of my 5 take the bait. Jack is so wise, I can never get a pill into him. He has the strongest jaw I ever seen. I hope he never gets really, really sick. We sedate him to go to the vet. It's awful. He's a 100 pound American Bull who is too smart for his own good. At 6 years old, its hard to train him to change his ways. He looses control of his bowels and the veins in his eyes pop and bleed. You wouldn't believe it if you seen it. And thats sedated for the vet. They can't ever give him a complete physical. Oh well thats another story. I "can" give him a bath .LOL

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I give Bruno weekly baths without fail. The wife is not a big fan of doggie smell so I do it on my days off. I use a Hypoallergenic shampoo on him. As far as pills go, I crush them into a powder first and then sprinkle it on a piece of chicken or beef ( I feed Bruno Raw) and he is none the wiser =)

OP
mandyjo

mandyjo

Jun 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I am going to do this tomorrow....what about putting it in oatmeal?? Any thoughts on that?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
open her mouth by her top jaw and put the pills as far down her throat as you can,i only bath every 2 months ,if shes better then bath her ,if not wait till she is,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.