24 hrs post Nueter

So I made the tough decsion to get Hurley neutered yesterday. His marking was out of control as was the humping. Anyway I know the vet told me he may be out of it a bit today but I am just curious what is "normal". He seemed fine yesterday and and even jumped on the bed last night which I am sure he is feeling today. But a friend just stopped by the house and said he appears to have no energey and even threw up. I am hoping I am just being overly worried and this is normal. I also gave him his pain med at 4am this morning so I dont know if maybe it is still affecting him. It has been so many years since my mini schnauzer was nuetered that I don't remember what he was like afterwards.

any thoughts......

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
It is important that his temp. is normal and he doesn't get dehydrated. Low energy after surgery is normal, you should see a big difference after a few days.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I remember both boys had theirs done together and both were nauseous for about a day and very mellow. So long as no fever and you can still get him drinking etc I wouldnt worry.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I would just call the vet's office to check with someone if this is ok. It could be totally normal. Gator was normal within 24 hours and the same day he just slept for a little while when he got home and ate a normal dinner, etc that night.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
It's been awhile since we've had a guy get this done too..but I DO remember one throwing up..anesthesia does that to them too! If his temp is normal..I would encourage him to lay low. Very small meals and just watch..if he throws up again..let the vet know. Jake is going under the knife in a month..I'm learning ALL over again!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think nausea and sleepy is normal for most from what I remember when ours were neutered. EXCEPT Daddy ... we had hoped it would slow him down a little but that was a false hope!! We brought him home from his neuter and he wanted to play IMMEDIATELY. Slowing him down was one problem, the other problem was the huge cone they had put on him. Unfortunately, Daddy never has or will have a concept for spaces ...so a lot of our furniture was found flying around the room as it hooked on to his cone and it went with him!! And yes ....... I'm STILL talking about the day we brought him home from his op!! :crazy:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He should be himself by tomorrow but don't let him jump for a few days. If he is not better by tomorrow I'd call the vet.

OP
A

azlady76

Well apparently throwing up helped him because i came home and it was as if no surgery had taken place. He was his happy self and being overly active to the point I had to settle him down.

So all appears to be ok :whew:

[MENTION=2352]Casee[/MENTION] he will be 10 months next week.

Here is a picture of my silly boy sleeping while I was trying to do some homework. sleepy.jpg

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Glad to hear that he's doing well! That picture is too cute.

Delilah was out of it for a day or two after she got spayed. She threw up several times the first night she was home.

Also, I'd be really careful about letting him jump around. You should try to keep him on light activity for at least a week. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.