opinions please

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
as you know annie is battling an allergy at the minute,its been very bad the last couple of days ,now annies personality is more like a jack russel ,always on the move ,she may sleep for a couple of hours in the day but the rest of the time shes obsessive with shadows,tennis ball,people,im wondering if dogs can get ocd ,is her constant scratching an obsession now,ive read that dogs can become obsessed to the point of self harm,is her behaviour stressing her that much that she scratches,ive done elimination on all her contact surfaces,she doesnt have runny eyes or sneezing,antihistamines no longer work,the vet said hes not seen such a healthy bulldog in every other way except the constant itching,any imput?,karen

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..I know dogs can have OCD. But I thought it would manifest itself in one area..ie..ball..chewing..etc! They give dogs meds for this also. I know they can chew at an invisible spot on themselves until it becomes a true medical issue. And they can have obsession with licking. I would assume anything is possible and poor Annie could have this.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Have you thought about doing an allergy test? I know they give a lot of false positives but it seems like you've tried everything except the test. I know I would get one for Stig if he flares up with no reason again.

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i spoke to the vet regarding allergy testing and he said they are a waste of money with too many false positives,ive just ordered a pheremone plug in as 90 percent of the time shes so hyper ,ive given her a 45 minute walk/run this afternoon and she came into the house like a mad dog looking for the tennis ball scratching at the same time if it wernt so sad it would be funny,karen

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
i spoke to the vet regarding allergy testing and he said they are a waste of money with too many false positives,ive just ordered a pheremone plug in as 90 percent of the time shes so hyper ,ive given her a 45 minute walk/run this afternoon and she came into the house like a mad dog looking for the tennis ball scratching at the same time if it wernt so sad it would be funny,karen

Duke was allergy tested after spending hundreds on food trials, antibiotics etc.. here he was allergic to wool ( 82 % ) .. we got rid of all the wool in our home and it made a world of difference. yes they can give false positive results BUT if you find what is the main culprit it could mean a WORLD of difference for your dog? just something to think about?
also we have MUCH better results with Zrtec for the itchies .. benardryl Duke does not do well on. We give two Zrtec per Duke's dermatologist (its double the adult dose) every 24 hours.. also he told us it is slow build up in the blood so you have to make sure you give on time every day in order to work?

Good Luck.. itchies are NO fun! :)

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
thanks for that babyduke i will look into zrtec and rethink allergy testing,will enquire if insurance will pay for it,karen

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
you are welcome.. here some info thatyou may find helpful. Also we had the blood test done as well as the skin test and it is vital that the dog is off everything for a good 30 day prior to get an accurate result. We even had to take Duke off fish oil :(

Dog Allergy Testing

Dogs have allergies just as humans do. The problem with allergies in dogs though is getting them properly diagnosed. Unless a veterinarian is experienced in allergy testing, chances are you will have to find an animal dermatologist or a veterinarian in a larger metropolitan area to have the testing done.
Types of Tests
Blood tests can be performed. Unfortunately these tests were designed for humans and cannot always determine the cause of allergies in dogs. The allergens circulate differently in dogs than they do in humans. This can result in many false positive diagnoses.
Skin tests are the most accurate way to determine allergies in dogs. The veterinarian will sedate your dog and shave a portion of their abdomen. Specific allergens are injected in very small doses in a prescribed arrangement. After a few hours, the site is inspected. If, at that time, there is any reaction to the allergens it can be determined if it is severe enough to be considered a true allergy.
Why use blood tests
There are some circumstances that prohibit the skin tests to be performed. Some of these are:
• The skin is too unhealthy
• The dog has been on steroids for prolonged periods and cannot tolerate withdrawal
• The dog is too young
• There is no intradermal testing available
• It can also be used to rule out some potential allergens to make the skin testing more limited
When to Test
Any allergy testing whether intradermal or blood tests should be done when Dog Allergies are at their worst. This is especially true if the allergies are seasonal.
Before the dog is tested the vet should do a diagnostic workup to determine possible causes. Dog Flea Allergy Dermatitis, yeast infections and chronic infections must all be eliminated. Also the thyroid tests need to be run to rule out Dog Hypothyroidism.
If your dog suffers from allergies for extended periods of time and has not responded to localized treatment, allergy tests should be done.
Mild or intermittent allergies may be treated with medications and dietary changes.
Before a dog is subjected to allergy testing, the dog’s owner needs to be aware of the amount of time it will take to complete the treatment and also to the cost of the testing and treatment. It can take quite awhile to finish the testing and treatment. This can be quite costly.
Treatments
Once the dog has had the tests performed and in fact has been found to have allergies, the treatment begins. As with humans, there are allergy shots that your dog can have. These are the allergens that have been identified and are mixed into a formula that will decrease their sensitivity to the allergens.
These shots will be given over a period of time that can stretch into months. After the initial treatment is completed, booster shots may be required from time to time.
Hypoallergenic diets are often prescribed. This can be prescription diets or homemade foods. It is also important to note that these allergy tests should not be the initial testing for Dog Food Allergies. It is a long process, but one that your dog will certainly appreciate.

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
thanks for the info babyduke i am definatly going to consider testing,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.