Help my bulldog is always getting ear infections

vicky

Jul 18, 2011
3 DIFFERENT VETS IM AT MY WITS END, I CHANGED THE FOOD NATURE CHOICE LAMB AND VENISON, HES BEEN ON ANTIBOTIC CLAVAMOX AND AITIBOITIC DROPS, ITS CLEARED UP......BUT I NO ITS COMING BACK, IT ALWAYS DOSE....HES 4 YEARS OLD NO TREATS I CLEAN HIS EARS, SITS IN VET MEDICATED BATHS, BLISTER INBETWEEN HIS TOSE, HE LICKS HIS PAWS, ITS ALL GONE NOW,!!! BUT AGAIN .....I KNOW ITS COMEING RIGHT BACK AGAIN.....BEFORE MY DOG AND I GO THREW THIS AGAIN, AND GO THE 4TH VET, PLEASE HELP ME.....WHY AND WHAT CAN I DO, I DO BATH, I CLEAN EARS, I CHANGED FOOD TO, GIVE ME SOMETHING ELSE, ANYBODY NO ANYTHING I CAN DO? THEN WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING, SOMETHING THAT WORKS, IM BEGGING PLEASE HELP ME MY E MAIL IS [email protected] VICKY:shout::shout:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=2813]vicky[/MENTION] :welcome: to EBN :) It sounds like your bully has a classic case of food allergy. Sometimes it takes many food changes to hit on the right one for your bully. You must however make the changes slowly or you will further upset their tummy and it will appear that the new food isn't helping. It is generally done in increments of 1/4 new food to 3/4 old food for several days; 1/2 and 1/2 for several more days; then 3/4 new to 1/4 old for several days before going 100% new food. I would invest in some Fromm dog food. Their Beef Frittata is an excellent food for those with food allergies.
Another option would be to try raw feeding. I have no experience with this but others here do and would be glad to explain it to you.
Good Luck! :)

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
My bulldog has bad allergies.. We had him tested and tried allergy shots ( the whole 9 yards).. he is allergic to mold and wool. He was about 80 % better but still always got the ear infections all the time .. NOW since I switched him to NVI instinct formula ( read the articles here on the best foods to feed ).. knock wood.. he has not had one ear infection???? its worth a try.. Also THE # 1 most imporant thing with the ears is to keep them dry.. So if you are cleaning them with say a cotton ball. after you are finished I take the cotton ball and make sure the entire ear canal is DRY.. this will prevent yeast from building up.. Good Luck to you... I totally UNDERSTAND..

oh and have you tried benadryl or Zrtec to help?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
first of all when you say nature choice do you mean nutro natural choice? is so then please get your dog off this food. i looked up the lamb and rice and all i see are grains grains grains. Natural balance has many limited ingredient foods. I would recommend a grain free food to start. Or at least a food with no white rice or yeast ingredients in it. You can try apple cidar vinegar and water 70water/30 cidar to wipe in the ears or ive used mal-a-ket wipes in sarahs ears. And yes dry the ears after you clean them. As for the baths are you using and antifungal/antibacterial shampoo from the vet to soak the feet in? Chloraseb and mal-a-ket both have shampoos with antifungals to soak feet in. Are you leaving the pet in for like 5 minutes or so? Are you doing this daily or just once in a while. I soak sarahs feet every 3 days in antifungal and antibacterial shampoo and i bathe her once a week. This does sound like a food allergy and its trial and error to find out what unfortunately. Good luck and let us know how the dog is doing. Oh yea the benadryl or zyrtec recommendation is a good idea also.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson had reoccuring ear infections for over 6 months, then I switched him to Natures Variety Instinct and they stopped 2 weeks later and haven't come back in the 10 months since. Natures Variety Instinct is great for any dog suffering from issues with yeast (one cause of ear infections). Samson doesn't do well on all the NVI formulas, so far he does best on the salmon.

Most Reactions