New puppy

Susan McGivney

Jul 8, 2011
Dutchess County, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Last night we picked up a 6 month old from someone that couldnt keep her anymore. She is on Iams puppy food. She has red dots in her ears that we have to clean with an ear cleaning solution plus drops. She does have some bald spots on her, but since I came home from work I think they look worse. She also has red spots on her belly now. She was playing in my sons pool today so I think it is from that. Of course the people we got her from forgot her health records and the vet won't release them from us!! Do you guys think it is from the pool water or the food? Thanks ahead of time for all your help and advise!
:bully::bully::bully::bully::bully::bully:

Attachments

• 2011-07-18_07-55-01_702.jpg
    2011-07-18_07-55-01_702.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I would bet it's food related. My Jake came home on iams at 8 weeks and we switched him immediately. There are many people here who have much more knowledge in the food area..a lot of bullies here love the Kiddy pools..I doubt 100% it's that! How convenient the previous owners "forgot" her records! They can get a release to their vet and then you can get them..somehow I wouldn't be surprised they don't follow through for you! She is adorable and what a relief she has found you! Get her on a good food...find a good vet and be prepared for bully love!!

Also stress can make her skin problems worse..and the change of a new home is stressful for them..also I'm sure others will also advise you that when you make a food change..go slowly!

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: Susan, Lily is a cutie! I can't add any more advice than [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] already gave you. I hope you get everything sorted out and have a long happy life together. Oh and we would love more pics!

Donna LeBlanc

Jul 7, 2011
East Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Punkie Brewster
She is adoraBULL!! Not trying to scare you but since you mention she has some bald spots, you should take her to the vet and have a skin scraping done to make sure it's not Demodex. In the meantime, gradually change her food to a better quality food. Iams is full of corn which is a bad filler. Taste of the Wild is a good, high quality food with no fillers. Mix the new food with the Iams, starting with a 50/50 mix then gradually add more of the new food to the old until you are feeding 100% of the new food. You could also add yogurt to her diet which will help with her immune system which may be stressed since she is in a new environment...plain unflavored yogurt...a couple of tablespoons a day. I hope the skin problem is nothing serious but Bulldogs have sensitive skin and immune systems. Good luck with the new pup...nothing sweeter than a Bullie puppy!!

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Congrats on your new baby!

I don't really have any advice on the food, but lots of people here are very knowledgeable!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Yes, definitely have the vet do a skin scraping to rule out mange. The sooner you get her health evaluated the better. Food is the next thing you have to improve on but as everyone says do it slowly. Don't let her get overheated as bullies are more sensitive to the heat. Well you pretty much hear this over and over but it is for a good reason. Last but not least keep reading as many threads as you can here on EBN. Knowledge will be your best tool in raising your bulldog. Welcome and make sure you let us know how it goes with your new fur baby. Post pics when u get a chance. Any kind will do. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You have gotten a great deal of good advice already but have to say she is adorable! Congrats on your new family member. :) Food has proven to make a HUGE amount of diff, you should check out the before and after stories.
English Bulldog News Forums ~ - Dog Food And Nutrition
In fact get a lot of pics and stuff now and compare to what you get once she is on a new healthy food, bet you will be amazed.

mandyjo

Jun 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I don't have anything to add to this, but I wanted to say Welcome!!! She is beautiful...more pictures please!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
welcome to EBN and yes, more pics please. You have gotten a lot of good advice on here. I have a bully that had terrible tear stains when I picked him from the breeder and now that he is on Fromm and filtered water, his tear stains are almost non existent. Filtered water is the only thing I can recommend that other people haven't mentioned yet.

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
Lily is a pretty girl. I agree with others - a slow change to high quality food should make a significant difference. I would do a vet check on the bald spots and ears though.

On a side note - my husband and I lived in "your neck of the woods" for about 4 or 5 years - we are originally from upstate NY (Adirondacks) though.

Welcome!!

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
She is adoraBULL!! Not trying to scare you but since you mention she has some bald spots, you should take her to the vet and have a skin scraping done to make sure it's not Demodex. In the meantime, gradually change her food to a better quality food. Iams is full of corn which is a bad filler. Taste of the Wild is a good, high quality food with no fillers. Mix the new food with the Iams, starting with a 50/50 mix then gradually add more of the new food to the old until you are feeding 100% of the new food. You could also add yogurt to her diet which will help with her immune system which may be stressed since she is in a new environment...plain unflavored yogurt...a couple of tablespoons a day. I hope the skin problem is nothing serious but Bulldogs have sensitive skin and immune systems. Good luck with the new pup...nothing sweeter than a Bullie puppy!!

Taste of the wild is a great food! From personal experience though, try to find one with a lower protein content. I had my Biggie on the Prairie mix and he grew so fast that it had me concerned. On top of that, his poo was never that great and getting him to eat was never easy. I switched him over to Fromm and his poo has been perfect, his growth slowed to a natural pace, and he is always EAGER to eat! Food is always a personal preferance though, and the nutrition section reccomended by [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], has some great info and advice. I basically set out to try every grain free six star food I could until I found one that worked well for my little buddy and my search stopped with Fromm.

You have gotten a great deal of good advice already but have to say she is adorable! Congrats on your new family member. :) Food has proven to make a HUGE amount of diff, you should check out the before and after stories.
English Bulldog News Forums ~ - Dog Food And Nutrition
In fact get a lot of pics and stuff now and compare to what you get once she is on a new healthy food, bet you will be amazed.

OP
Susan McGivney

Susan McGivney

Jul 8, 2011
Dutchess County, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
She is doing better I think. Stopped using the ear solution and drps and her ears look so much better!! After almost 2 hours at the pet store I bought blue and slowly switching. People also had her on iams large breed puppy..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.