Gypsy has Demodex Mange

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Yup...sure enough! She had several little nickel sized bald spots with the skin being a little red. I knew as soon as I saw it what it was. Took her to the vet this morning and he took one look at it an knew so we did a scraping and he said it was teeming with the mites. SO he believes it is a localized issue so we will start an ointment first. If it spreads, we will begin the oral treatment. I am to use the ointment twice a day for two weeks but if a bunch more of the spots crop up, I am to go back immediately to start the oral treatment. He thinks that the infection in her chin acne and the bump she had on her hoo haa that were treated with antibiotics may have lowered her immune system and allowed the mites to take over.

I did just started a raw diet yesterday, but this started a week and a half ago so I know it is not related in any way.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Oh I hope you can get it under control fast!! How do they even get this? I have read on here many bully's have had it. Is it from going outside, or allergy related?????

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, from what I understand, they have the mites on them naturally. A lowering of the immune system sometimes will allow the mites to get out of control and then it is a visible issue. He said that it presents in two ways. The first being more localized and usually presents around the head, neck and shoulders as small spots (like she has). This can sometimes be taken care of with an ointment (I will post later what it is he gave me). It also can present all over the body and then there is a LOT of hair loss and with that, you need to do an oral treatment. He didn't say what the oral was just that it is something that takes time and you increase the dosage slowly. He thinks that it is possible that the two infections she had (chin and a small cyst on her vulva) may have lowered her immune system enough to let the mites go nuts. He also said that sometimes a heat cycle can lower the immune system as well but he doesn't think she is in heat. He also stated that we should NOT spay her next week as I had planned. He said it would compromise her system even more and then make the mange worse. So, he wants to wait until it is cleared up before we do that.

I called it...I told Dave that is what it was and the vet knew it as soon as he saw it as well so he went strait for the skin scraping. I love our vet....he gets down on the floor and plays with them while he examines them. They all think he is the best :)

edited to add: Apparently, allergies can cause an outbreak because it lowers their immune systems. It is NOT from going outside or anything that we, as owners, have done.

haileysmomma

Jan 10, 2011
VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hailey Sue
Well, from what I understand, they have the mites on them naturally. A lowering of the immune system sometimes will allow the mites to get out of control and then it is a visible issue. He said that it presents in two ways. The first being more localized and usually presents around the head, neck and shoulders as small spots (like she has). This can sometimes be taken care of with an ointment (I will post later what it is he gave me). It also can present all over the body and then there is a LOT of hair loss and with that, you need to do an oral treatment. He didn't say what the oral was just that it is something that takes time and you increase the dosage slowly. He thinks that it is possible that the two infections she had (chin and a small cyst on her vulva) may have lowered her immune system enough to let the mites go nuts. He also said that sometimes a heat cycle can lower the immune system as well but he doesn't think she is in heat. He also stated that we should NOT spay her next week as I had planned. He said it would compromise her system even more and then make the mange worse. So, he wants to wait until it is cleared up before we do that.

I called it...I told Dave that is what it was and the vet knew it as soon as he saw it as well so he went strait for the skin scraping. I love our vet....he gets down on the floor and plays with them while he examines them. They all think he is the best :)

edited to add: Apparently, allergies can cause an outbreak because it lowers their immune systems. It is NOT from going outside or anything that we, as owners, have done.

HI! Hailey's being treated for Demodex as well. She just had her 4th invermectin injection yesterday and is responding so well! We think her flair up was caused by the stress to her immune system from getting spayed...So good call on holding off on that! So many of our bullies have demodex...Poor pups!!

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1691]haileysmomma[/MENTION] poor girl!! I am glad she is responding well to treatment. I am so glad we caught this fairly early so hopefully we can get it under control without having to go to an oral treatment. Keep us posted on how she is doing :).

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
ive just had annie tested am awaiting the results ,i know annie immune system has been low hence the allergy,even if a bulldog gets too cold it can cause the immune system to falter,all dogs have these mites its just when the immune system crashes that they take over,im hoping that if she has mange its just local as the treatment is a lot easier ,its always easily treatable if caught early,karen

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] keep me posted on the test results. They had to send the scraping away? Our vet just put it under the microscope in the office and said that the sample was teeming with mites. Gyps has about six spots. They range in size from about the size of a pea to the size of a nickel. Once we started searching her to put the ointment on, we found more than we thought she had.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor Gypsy, hope the ointment works and she has a speed recovery.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys :). We have had a VERY interesting summer! With Gator having a mystery leg injury, Gyps and her mystery hoo haa cysts, Lucy with HER mystery eye thing, my VERY short, hectic FL trip and my hubby's TWO surgeries (the second one was yesterday), I think I am ready for summer to be over and go back to work!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] I so hope that your pets have a speedy recovery.
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] you have had such a bad summer I so hope things get back to normal soon and you can relax and at least enjoy some of the summer.
:hug:to both of you and dogs for a speedy recovery. :cheers:gonna have a few of these when all is well again.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
thanks,im still waiting for the results tho checking her today the bald patches are growing hair back!!!,but at least ive had her tested its best to be safe than sorry ,at least if it localised its easier to treat,everyone who buys a bully really needs to be aware that even the slightest bit of hot/cold,stress,food change ,over activity,not enough activity ,ear infection,too harsh discipline can trigger a lowered immune system under 12 months of age,these are very strange high maintence breed ,ive never had a bully with so many issues its getting ridiculas lol,karen

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
I hope the ointment works. Einstein had demodectic mange when he was a puppy, but he was on Promaris. It made him so sick. So glad he's done with that. But I'm a little concerned because he has a very small patch behind his ear where he's lost hair. Not sure if he was just itching his ear too much. Good luck!

golfrmom64

Oct 26, 2010
Easley, SC
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzie, Abbie & Georgia
Well our youngest EB Abbie has it - she has had one round of antibotics and two dips - they r slowly (the bare spots) clearing up - more than likely she will have to have two more treatments before she stops. Our vet said the same thing about the immune system and stress........This is not a fun process both for the bullies or the mom's and dads of the bullies.......but hopefully we will get this cleared up and no reoccurance......Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online