Maybe I am not so fond of the kiddie pool after all....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So the vet came out and checked on everybully.

Tidus has a big ulcer on his eye, more than likely caused by bacteria. It is the size of the back of a pencil eraser, and only shows when he put dye in his eye. He also has slight swollen ears, possible start of an infection.

Yuna seems to have picked up some sort of fungus or bacteria as well and looks kinda polka dotted in spots on her back. Just darker hair. There is no bumps or anything associated with it, Just darker spots of fur.

Jesse's toe is red and sore. Her toenail looks a bit sore and swollen/infected, but it seems to hurt her when her toe is touched. Have to clean with idodine stuff that stains really bad. If it is still bothering her in a week she may have a fractured toe, which could take months to heal. :(

So.... why do I not like the kiddie pool I bet you are asking. What does this all have to do with it?

Well, my bullies were all in optimum health a week ago, until we filled up the kiddie pool. We were cautious, we did not let it get grimy and dumped it after every single play session. They played in the pool about 3 or 4 times and we put it away, Monsoons coming to Arizona and the wind gets wicked, so we wanted to get it to a safe place for the next month.

But.... where on earth did Tidus get bacteria and Yuna get fungus? One guess for me was all it took. This is the only thing we could think of.

The vet says it was very likely if they played in there pretty hard in the pool, the bacterias or fungus could have been on the bottoms of their feet, and if they splashed (which they did- A LOT), could have gotton into the eyes, ears, skin, ect.

So, I have to bath Yuna with anti fungal hoping that is all it is, antibiotics for Jesse, ear drops for Tidus, Eye ointment for Tidus, pain med for Tidus, Iodine cleaner for Jesses toe.... I now officially feel like a bulldog pharmacy :)

Oh, guess who is doing great? The two who would not go into the pool. Mandy and Molly.

No more kiddie pools for my gang. :eek:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Maybe because of the difference in weather, but Vegas loves his pool and has never had a single problem. I have to say.......I dump it once every 3 to 4 days. I wonder where the bacteria originated from? Your poor babies.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow, we dumped it after each play! I dunno. The vet says it is a possibility- not for sure, but the timing fits....

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my goodness your poor kiddies. Maybe a dash of chlorine in the pool would help maybe? That is crazy but maybe like the vet said they already picked something up and then the splashing around mixed it up everywhere instead of just on their paws. Wow, if its not 1 thing it surely is another for you guys isnt it?!?! Hope it gets kicked and fast!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hows everybully doing now? So do you have to have 5 bulldogs to get the vet to come to YOUR house? I have never heard of that before and would LOVE if my vet came to my house :)

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
not much change so far. Tidus's eye is still bad and yuna just keeps losing fur. Think I may have to take them in to my other vet. I have a mobile vet for minor problems and stuff who is great. But since he is mobile he can only do so much....it's a $45 trip chrge but he takes 25% off my tab for being a frequent client- so it ends up being free in the end anyway. :). He is also more than willing to share his knowledge on everything. Which is great. He says he has never seen anything like what is going on with yuna- which is freaky. It looks like someone splattered her with oil. Could it be that she is just losing her "puppy" coat? The hair is darker in some places. I will see if I can get a picture that it shows up. She is not itchy or bumpy at all- and shows no signs of stress. It's just weird.

I suspect it was something in the pool water- a bacteria or something. May have to take her in so that they can do a skin scrape.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not any better yet?!? I was hoping not hearing anything was a good sign. At least she isnt in pain or itchy or anything but still how weird!Your hands are so full I dont know how you do it seriously, you are a good mama!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tidus's eye seems to have finally gotten better the past 2 days. Still squinting, but better. I hope it is healing, it was a pretty big ulcer.

As for Yuna, I am not sure. Seems like everytime I bathe her in the medicated shampoo, every 2 days, she gets worse! Maybe she does not like this shampoo? I have been thinking about this too, Chip got some new shampoo and I bathed them in it shortly before this happened. So could it be the shampoo and not the kiddie pool? There are some more possibilities..... if she keeps losing hair I will have to take her in, although at this point I do not believe it is mange because it is not itchy. I am going to start a new post with photos of her so everyone can see and maybe someone out there has had a similar experience?

It is always possible that Tidus hurt his eye by trauma, although it does not look like it.

Jesse seems much better. Thank goodness!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.