HELP! 8 MOnth old Puppy's Hip is Making a Popping Noise

MarleyMoo

Jun 10, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I have an 8 month old EB named Marley. Marley weighs about 63lbs and is very active. Recently we have noticed that when she gets up after a nap her hip (on the left side) will make a popping noise but eventually subsides.

This week we were out on our daily walk and I kept hearing this noise so I stopped and let her walk a head to my discovery it was Marley's hip making the popping noise again. I'm not too sure what it is as we do not let her climb up or down the stairs onher own and help her up onto the couch, into the car, etc. She does go for a half hour walk everyday and runs around in the backyard occasionally and yes I know she is probably oiver weight for a puppy her age. But I was just wondering if anyone else has any experiences like this.

It doesn't seem to irritate her at all (it's like there is nothing wrong/she doesn't notice it like me).

If someone could give me a little advise I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I would get her into the vet as soon as you could!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
May be nothing but would let a vet check it out.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I agree, with things like that it's better to treat it earlier than later!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi,

So at 8 monhts and 63 lbs, that could be too heavy. The bones and structure does not fully develope until 18-24 months.
Go get it x-rayed promptly.

And if you check other posts here on this site there is lot of discussion about "normal" or acceptable weight.
I have a 7 month female that weighs 40 lbs, a 5 yo female 42, 3.5 female also weighs 45.
But I also have an 18 month old male that weighs 70.

Popping anytime is NOT a good thing to hear.

Good Day~

OP
MarleyMoo

MarleyMoo

Jun 10, 2011
Hi Everyone,

We took Marley to the vet on Friday and we were told it's not her hip at all but her knee.

They advised that she is just very bow legged and because of this it causes her knee to make a clicking noise. The vet told us it isn't anything to worry about as she shows no signs of pain or discomfort. Also, they said unless it goes lame then we really have nothing to worry about and that she will probably out grown it within the year as her muscles and tendons are not 100% developed yet. I asked if her weight may be playing a factor in this as well and the vet advised that Marley is not considered over weight for her age as she is just a bigger EB in general and that she is in very good shape.

Thankfully she is well and we do not have to worry about it being anything serious!

OP
MarleyMoo

MarleyMoo

Jun 10, 2011
I know! We have a friend who has a 2 year old bulldog and Marley towers over her. She is just a very big dog in general.

Attachments

• Marley5.jpg
    Marley5.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 335

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
She is VERY cute :). I can't see her from the top, but from the side she doesn't look like she is overweight.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online