Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Mystery Skin Sore

Default HELP: Mystery Skin Sore

Please help, Lola is little over a year now and she has developed this persistant sore on her side about 3weeks+ ago.

We have been to the vet several times now to no avail. Originally the vet dignosed her with a protein allergy so we switch from Natural balance LIT bison to Natural Balance LIT fish formula. Durring the same visit the vet put lola on an Antibiotic.
    A couple days passed with no inprovement, infact the sore got worse and started to ooze/bleed. We then brought her back in and the vet placed her on prednisone as well as another stronger antibotic.
    Another week passed with no improvment. We brought lola back today and the vet is now claiming she needs surgery to remove the sore. This is the last thing we want for her, there has to be another alternative. Weare seeking another vets opinion friday who hs more experience with the breed. Has anybody experienced something similar with their bullie? Is this infact an allergic reaction? Here are a few pics. PLEASE HELP

-034-jpg
    -035-jpg
    Last edited by LolatheEBD; 07-13-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Real Name
    Bruno's Daddy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: HELP: Mystery Skin Sore

Surgery to remove the sore will not solve anything ...The Vet needs to find the root cause of the sore. Is this the only one?
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1104_1.gif

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Surgery is NOT the answer..just as brunos dad says! It's very faint..but do I see another red spot to the left of the bigger one in pic? I do not have experience with these..but lots of people do here. First of all..you are definitely doing the right thing by going to another vet. Someone will be able to help you go in the right direction.

Was she tested for parasites or anything?

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Duke has had many problems with his skin.. I can't see it that well but could it be a hot spot that got infected? the reason I say this is Duke would get a hot spot and then rub it so bad on the floor until it would bleed and ooze best advice to you and I would do for Duke is go see another vet.. I would bet 99 % that your dog does not need surgery.. it is hard for you but trust me a good vet ( maybe even a dermatologist will know what to do) keep us posted. Good Luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by jortiz9758 View Post
    Surgery to remove the sore will not solve anything ...The Vet needs to find the root cause of the sore. Is this the only one?
    Agreed, from everything I have read surgery seems to be a quick out/last resort. Does this look like a form of an alergic reaction? maybe a fungal infection? We are at a real loss as to the cause and why anitbiotic/steriod treatment hasent helped.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Surgery is NOT the answer..just as brunos dad says! It's very faint..but do I see another red spot to the left of the bigger one in pic? I do not have experience with these..but lots of people do here. First of all..you are definitely doing the right thing by going to another vet. Someone will be able to help you go in the right direction.

Was she tested for parasites or anything?
    She has not been tested for parasites..They ran a thyriod test but that came back normal. There is one other sore on her front leg, but they are the only two. the area your seeing in the picture is dried blood/ooze. If you look closely you can see that her fur in the area is thining, She dosent rub or scratch the area since she unable to reach it but it is clear that it bothers her, her skin furrows and she gets uneasy if you touch the area.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I am sure the bully vet will test her for these things. Honestly..I feel your vet should've done that first off. Why treat without all the facts! I know antibiotics do help treat all kinds of skin lesions..but usually they are trying to clear up an infection. And this might be infected..but you need to see what caused it. Hang in there..maybe clean it and put some neosporin on it for the short term..until your appt. Someone will check in..maybe @BabyDuke or @desertskybulldogs will know?

Sorry..see babyduke was here already... @cowsmom knows a ton about this stuff!
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 07-13-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    I am sure the bully vet will test her for these things. Honestly..I feel your vet should've done that first off. Why treat without all the facts! I know antibiotics do help treat all kinds of skin lesions..but usually they are trying to clear up an infection. And this might be infected..but you need to see what caused it. Hang in there..maybe clean it and put some neosporin on it for the short term..until your appt. Someone will check in..maybe @BabyDuke or @desertskybulldogs will know?

Sorry..see babyduke was here already... @cowsmom knows a ton about this stuff!
    Thank you for the reinforcment, the other vet was not able to get us an appointment untill friday so it feels good to hear other owners agree with our decision and wait.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

I'm with @JAKEISGREAT and clean it maybe with some peroxide and put neosporin on it until you get to the new vet.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    I'm with @JAKEISGREAT and clean it maybe with some peroxide and put neosporin on it until you get to the new vet.

agreed +1... hope it heals up soon!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Any news on this? If it were me, I would clean the heck out of it and dry it out with peroxide is a good suggestion , especially if it is oozing. I cannot tell if there is hair embeded in the sore but I would shave the whole area of the scab and around it so it can dry out if so. Almost looks like a hot spot but not sure, but if it is moist and oozy more than likely so. Hot spots need to dry out and breathe. They are also usually caused by low immune system and allergies.

Hope you come back and post progress and your solution.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@desertskybulldogs gave you excellent advice. I would be sure they do a skin scraping too. Keep us posted on what the new vet says!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads