HELP: Mystery Skin Sore

LolatheEBD

Jul 13, 2011
Please help, Lola is little over a year now and she has developed this persistant sore on her side about 3weeks+ ago.

We have been to the vet several times now to no avail. Originally the vet dignosed her with a protein allergy so we switch from Natural balance LIT bison to Natural Balance LIT fish formula. Durring the same visit the vet put lola on an Antibiotic.
A couple days passed with no inprovement, infact the sore got worse and started to ooze/bleed. We then brought her back in and the vet placed her on prednisone as well as another stronger antibotic.
Another week passed with no improvment. We brought lola back today and the vet is now claiming she needs surgery to remove the sore. This is the last thing we want for her, there has to be another alternative. Weare seeking another vets opinion friday who hs more experience with the breed. Has anybody experienced something similar with their bullie? Is this infact an allergic reaction? Here are a few pics. PLEASE HELP

034.jpg
035.jpg

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Surgery is NOT the answer..just as brunos dad says! It's very faint..but do I see another red spot to the left of the bigger one in pic? I do not have experience with these..but lots of people do here. First of all..you are definitely doing the right thing by going to another vet. Someone will be able to help you go in the right direction.

Was she tested for parasites or anything?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Duke has had many problems with his skin.. I can't see it that well but could it be a hot spot that got infected? the reason I say this is Duke would get a hot spot and then rub it so bad on the floor until it would bleed and ooze :( best advice to you and I would do for Duke is go see another vet.. I would bet 99 % that your dog does not need surgery.. it is hard for you but trust me a good vet ( maybe even a dermatologist will know what to do) keep us posted. Good Luck to you

OP
L

LolatheEBD

Jul 13, 2011
Surgery to remove the sore will not solve anything ...The Vet needs to find the root cause of the sore. Is this the only one?

Agreed, from everything I have read surgery seems to be a quick out/last resort. Does this look like a form of an alergic reaction? maybe a fungal infection? We are at a real loss as to the cause and why anitbiotic/steriod treatment hasent helped.

OP
L

LolatheEBD

Jul 13, 2011
Surgery is NOT the answer..just as brunos dad says! It's very faint..but do I see another red spot to the left of the bigger one in pic? I do not have experience with these..but lots of people do here. First of all..you are definitely doing the right thing by going to another vet. Someone will be able to help you go in the right direction.

Was she tested for parasites or anything?

She has not been tested for parasites..They ran a thyriod test but that came back normal. There is one other sore on her front leg, but they are the only two. the area your seeing in the picture is dried blood/ooze. If you look closely you can see that her fur in the area is thining, She dosent rub or scratch the area since she unable to reach it but it is clear that it bothers her, her skin furrows and she gets uneasy if you touch the area.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am sure the bully vet will test her for these things. Honestly..I feel your vet should've done that first off. Why treat without all the facts! I know antibiotics do help treat all kinds of skin lesions..but usually they are trying to clear up an infection. And this might be infected..but you need to see what caused it. Hang in there..maybe clean it and put some neosporin on it for the short term..until your appt. Someone will check in..maybe [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] will know?

Sorry..see babyduke was here already... [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] knows a ton about this stuff!

Last edited:
OP
L

LolatheEBD

Jul 13, 2011
I am sure the bully vet will test her for these things. Honestly..I feel your vet should've done that first off. Why treat without all the facts! I know antibiotics do help treat all kinds of skin lesions..but usually they are trying to clear up an infection. And this might be infected..but you need to see what caused it. Hang in there..maybe clean it and put some neosporin on it for the short term..until your appt. Someone will check in..maybe [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] will know?

Sorry..see babyduke was here already... [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] knows a ton about this stuff!

Thank you for the reinforcment, the other vet was not able to get us an appointment untill friday so it feels good to hear other owners agree with our decision and wait.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] and clean it maybe with some peroxide and put neosporin on it until you get to the new vet.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Any news on this? If it were me, I would clean the heck out of it and dry it out with peroxide is a good suggestion , especially if it is oozing. I cannot tell if there is hair embeded in the sore but I would shave the whole area of the scab and around it so it can dry out if so. Almost looks like a hot spot but not sure, but if it is moist and oozy more than likely so. Hot spots need to dry out and breathe. They are also usually caused by low immune system and allergies.

Hope you come back and post progress and your solution.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] gave you excellent advice. I would be sure they do a skin scraping too. Keep us posted on what the new vet says!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes i think [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] has about covered it till you can get to the vet

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I'm so sorry you are going thru this. I have found that with MAXIMUS skin issues are going to be a major issue with him. He is currently being treated for Pyoderma and dermatitis - is on antibiotics,
medicated baths.

What bothers me the most about your story is that the VET does not seem to have a flippin' clue as to what is going on. Now we are talking about a doctor, a Veternarian, someone who is trained
in veternary medicine. This stuff drives me NUTS ! I can't tell you the number of times I've been to the VET where he just looks and looks and shakes his head .... like he doesn't know what to do.

I am starting to have very little faith and confidence in Veternarians, and if I were you I would look for a VET who is an experienced Bulldog Vet. In my area there are none - I would have to travel
into New York City. It's a shame more VETS do not appear to have alot of knowledge about bulldogs ----- but this is a "skin sore" and most if not all VETS should be able to treat that despite the
breed.

I hope you keep us informed as to the outcome........I'm very interested and concerned.

- Patrick

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.