Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grass rash

Default Re: Grass rash

I have a three year old English Bulldog and he has gotten rashes from grass, especially if it is wet, on his belly since he was a puppy. The vet said not to worry about it since it goes away within a few days. If it gets bad we put triple antibiotic and it goes right away. We just buy it from CVS now... we bought a "cream" from the vet at first for over $20 and it was the same exact thing as triple anti that you can get for about $3!

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

looks like some kind of contact allergy,dont waste money on allergy testing yet as they result in a lot of false positives,if she starts scratching pop a tshirt on her to prevent any secondary infection,if she has any open wounds put a nappy rash cream on her,keep her off the grass for a week to see if its the grass thats affecting her ,if it is contact allergy then start eliminating things such as rugs,bedding ,washing powders anything that she comes into contact with,use antihistamines,and supplement with omega or flaxseed ,its a minefield trying to find out what a dog is allergic to and try not too stress like i did,ive come to realise that all we can do is maintain not cure!!,i give my dog a tennis ball ,when she has the ball she forgets to scratch ,good luck,karen

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

When lex is outside playing and especially when I water the yard lex will get them on his tummy. They look worse than what it really is. I don't think he even knows he gets them
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

My mom's girl bully gets that too. She just wipes her with a baby wipe and dries every time they come in. It only happens in higher grass and when the grass is fresh cut, it doesn't happen. I would do as others have suggested and maybe put a t-shirt on her or keep wiping her every time. You can also try the antibiotic ointment.

Wrinkle Wiper Einstein the Great's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Einstein
    Likes (Received)

When Einstein was a puppy he used to get a similar rash on his stomach. But it never seemed to bother him, but it freaked me out. If it's any consolation he doesn't get a rash from the grass now that he's gotten a bit older.

Hi,

My Marley gets this all the time too. We jsut wipe her belly down during her nightly wipe down and then apply some corn starch powder to her belly. It seems to be working and she really likes when we put the powder on. It's an easy alternative to having to put a t-shirt on your poor bully...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads