How should cherry eye look as it heals?

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Penny goes back to the vet on Wednesday for her 2-week follow up. I'm a little concerned that the surgery didn't work. Her eye looks semi-normal when she first wakes up, and then as the day goes on it gets more "cherry" looking. I can tell that it's stitched in, but it still has some swelling.

I'm wondering if this is normal healing & it's still inflamed, or our vet didn't get it tacked down correctly. Our vet didn't tell us what it should look like other than not to worry if her eye got cloudy for a few days because of corneal irritation from the surgery.

What was your pup's experience recovering from surgery?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig's took a while to get back to normal and unswell. I remember we went for a 2 week checkup and it was still cherry-eyed looking. Our vet gave us another ointment to try and after a couple of days it got better. But then again, we massaged it back that day and it just stayed in. Ask your vet if it's ok to massage it in on your appt. Ours said it was perfectly ok so we did.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
How is her eye doing? we never had cherry eye but Duke had eye surgery for entropian it took a good 6 weeks for his eyes to be back to normal

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks for asking, [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]

She went back to the vet today & he said it looks great. He gave us a new ointment to decrease swelling to use for a week. She's back in the cone for a few days. We were CONVINCED that it wasn't right because of the swelling. We're hopeful the new ointment helps!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.