Tears, Wrinkles and Skin Issues!!!! AAAHHHHHHHHH

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
honestly with that many hives and other symptoms I think I would at least consider the food. you dont even have to stop feeding it but find something to mix in with it like natural balance has several limited ingredient foods that you can mix 1/2 and 1/2 with the natures logic for several days to see if there is any improvement. if so then you know. if not then ok you can see what else to do. like detergent some dogs are allergic to certain detergents. One lady kept a journal to narrow down what it was her dog was allergic to. I havent used zyrtec myself but there are those that have here with good results. Maybe just use benadryl morning and night and see if hes better. Is the pollen count there high? try and think if anything is different. did you put bug stuff on the yard. one ladys dog was allergic to the beef in her heartworm meds. I hope she gets better soon :hug:

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
You know I think the vet shall update Yvette the steroid shot. It will make him feel Much better and.maybe you can then get a handle on this. I feel.bad for you both :(

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION] the store I get her food from actually carries that so I will have to try some!
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] She is on natures logic and has been for about 7 months now. The hives are all down the left side of her body and her neck and back. Maybe one or two on her right side but there are at least 20+ on the left side.
It was suggested by the vet to try one in the morning and the other in the evening.
I called the vet this afternoon. He suggested I try zyrtec for about a week and if no improvement is seen we will discuss other options (no steriods though) It's just so frustrating.

Have any of you given zyrtec? Dosage? Results?
What else have y'all done for your bullies with allergies medicine, prescription and non prescription?
\
Duke has horrible horrible allergies.. We have been through WAR with them.. We do give Zyrtec to Duke we like it much better than benadryl. he takes 2 pills once every twenty four hours. Our dermatologist told us its twice the human dose. We have had Duke allergy tested, done allergy shots, went through multiple ear infections, swollen paws, hot spots ( which he would rip open til he bled ).. so I feel for you!:begging:

this is what I have learned. First of all for the first year I refused to allow my vet to give Duke a steroid.. so Duke suffered terribly with the paws and itchy skin etc.. I finally gave up and took Duke to a dermatologist. I had him tested he was allergic to wool. so out the window went the wool blankets etc. I did food trial after food trial with no success. I tried allergy shots.. I finally had everything at bay using the Zyrtec and allergy shots but then the next spring he was nuts again itching etc.. so we at that point put Duke on a very low dose steroid. he takes 5 mg every other day and Zyretc when needed. We feed him NVI instinct formula ( which made his coat amazingly like silk! and he looks and we can tell feels great) we bathe him ( don't laugh ) twice a year... or if he gets dirty.. the dermatologist told us the more you bath the more you upset the natural oils of the skins and dogs like bulldogs do not need to get a bath that often..

anyway my point to the rambling is when I finally decided to give in to the steroid.. someone said to me to consider Dukes quality of life.. before the regimen we had him at the vet twice a month. he was on antibiotics and suffering.. Now he is perfect. Knock wood this past year he was at the vet once? we have his blood levels taken to check all the time and it is a very low dose. My dermatologist told me he had a dog that lived til he was 12 that was on a steroid regimen.... your dog may not need this but I would be more open if all the suffering continues to at least try it temporarily to calm things down on the skin.. I wish you luck and hope this helps!

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
You know I think the vet smhould give the steroid shot. It will make him feel Much better and.maybe you can then get a handle on this. I feel.bad for you both :(

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I hope roxi gets better however you and the vet decide to proceed . A lot of us struggle with our bully and I hope she can get better soon. I have had Sarah on steroids before and I do everything I can not to put her on them so I understand that. Maybe for a short time to get a handle on it. Maybe allergy testing. Anyway whatever you do let us know how she is doing.

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
Reilly's stains were worse than that. it is definitely yeast. Reilly would scratch that area so bad it would start bleeding!! I would put her on an antibiotic. I got cephalexin and it was a FREE Rx!! I also switched Reilly's food to the Oven Baked Lamb and Rice that i discovered from the Food pics Then & Now. He has NO tear stains his face is completely clear, his creases/rope look AMAZING!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
4caff1b1-1837-bfdc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Thank you all for you help!

Roxi and I just got back from the vet. Her hives were worse and she couldn't even get comfortable enough to sleep.
So, the vet... Roxi was given a shot of depo medrol 20mg/ml and some antibiotics (simplicef 200mg). He said he thought that since her hives were not subsiding with the antihistamines it was time to at least give her some relief. Also quite a few of her hives were oozing and scabbing so he felt the antibiotic was needed.

I couldn't take her suffering any longer. We spoke about allergy testing and he told me that sometimes it is great and sometimes it can show false positives. So I'm not for sure what to do about testing yet.

He said it is seasonal allergies and we will most likely be dealing with this again next year so we need to find something that will give her some relief.

We are to continue using an OTC antihistamine. Anyway, I'm hoping to see some relief for Roxi bear. I'm planning on ordering some Fromm just to try because I have heard nothing but great things about it and maybe it will help too.

Thank you all again!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope this helps and she gets better soon, poor baby.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh i hope roxi gets better. im glad your going to try the fromm. I may have to order some myself as everyone loves it here.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, I am so glad she is feeling better! At least while the shot lasts. Keep us posted on her progress.

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Roxi is doing great! Her hives are gone and her winkles are doing much better!!! :)
Thank you so much for all your thoughtful comments! Hopefully the shot doesn't wear off anytime soon!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online