Tears, Wrinkles and Skin Issues!!!! AAAHHHHHHHHH

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Ok, I have no idea what is going on!!!:aaargh:

Roxi has suddenly developed tear stains!!!! RED TEAR STAINS!!!

Her face is usually so white with no tear stains at all and even if she does have some tearing I can simply wipe the wrinkles with a baby wipe and then dry with a paper towel. But a few days ago I noticed she was tearing a lot and it was like overnight she developed these horrible tear stains!!!!
What should I do?:please: For the past two days I have been cleaning twice a day with strydex pads (the sensitive skin formula) wiping with a baby wipe and then drying and applying desitin.

Also, about a week ago I noticed she had some "bumps" in her fur. It looked as if she had a few spots of what I thought were hives. So, I washed her down with some baby wipes thinking they would go away.
Well, a few of those bumps are now crusty areas/scabs!!!!! And when I was brushing her some came off and hair came with it!

I will also add that she is on chlorpheniramine. She ran out on Monday so I gave her benadryl on Tuesday and Wednesday (which is when i noticed the excessive tearing and staining!). She is back on the chlorpheniramine (4mg 2X a day).

Help! :anyone:

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Sounds like allergy to me. Have you changed anything? I think violets is seasonal her pretty white face is turning brown :(

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
What food is she on and how long? sometimes it can take awhile for a food allergy to show up. Mine were on one food almost a year and then started to itch, we changed food and it stopped. Or it just could be seasonal.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Sounds like seasonal allergies to me. Lexs eyes have been watering non stop lately and found that allergy med works for him

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
[MENTION=2469]Angievelvet[/MENTION] the only thing that has changed is that she went to work with me for about a week.
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] she is on Nature's logic and has been for about 7 months.
I called the vet and we are going in at 8:30 tomorrow morning (on their day off and I called at 8:30pm on a Friday night).
I was giving her a bath and noticed a large area that was a deep red color behind one of her ears that was raised and looked extremely painful. So of course I freaked and called right away. I normally give her a bath every other Sunday. I only gave her a bath tonight because I saw that her chin and jowels were brownish colored. So glad I did though!
[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION] what allergy meds work for lex?

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my im so glad you could get in to see the vet please let us know how she is doing. Could be an allergy. i hope she is ok. hugs from sarah and me.

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
I give 1/2 benedryl tab because violet gets so pink in her eyes home ur baby is ok

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The red swollen thing behind her ears sounds like a hot spot. No change in diet? No new treats, table scraps? Sounds like she is having an allergic reaction to something, could have been something at your work.

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Ok back from the vet-- No hot spots, infections or anything other than seasonal allergies. The vet believes the red area is irritated skin from Roxi scratching. Which makes sense to me because if we have an itch and we continuously scratch it the skin will become irritated and red and maybe slightly swollen.

Anyway he said he really didn't want to put her on a steroid because he only does those when completely necessary and she isn't bad enough for that in his opinion.

We are supposed to give a good wipe down every time she comes inside from doing her business.

He did give us some shampoo. She is to get two baths a week with HYDRA PEARLS shampoo.
He also strongly suggested a fatty acid supplement that his office carries....

I would like to know if any of you use a fatty acid supplement and if so which one? And have you seen a noticeable
difference?

He did a full exam on Roxi and said the only thing that is wrong are these dreadful allergies. She is to take a chlorpheniramine 4mg in the morning and 25mg of benadryl in the evening.
He said we could allergy test to find out what she's allergic to but I'm kind of skeptical about allergy testing.

Thank you all for you thoughts and help.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
well glad nothing serious, the food is a good food from what I hear, have never used it though. Also have never used the fatty acid supplements either, so no help there. Allergies are hard to figure out, as @desertskibulldogs said it may have been something at work, or could be as easy as a food change. Keep us posted.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
To help with Stig's skin problems, such as hives and hotspots, we give him a couple of gelcaps of wild alaskan salmon oil daily. After a good rinsing after a bath, we also rinse with a 4:1 solution of water and vinegar. Salmon oil is good for their skin, while the vinegar is to relieve the itchiness.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Sarah gets 1/2 benadryl in am and 1/2 in the pm. I also giver her grizzly wild alaskan salmon oil it just squirts on her food. Well I have to squirt it on her canned food she doesnt like it on her dry food. I have noticed a difference in her since I added the salmon oil to her diet. I also give her cosequin ds but she still had a limp somewhat but with the salmon oil added to she is walking much better and just moving better. Her coat is much softer and shinier to. I recommend it highly. Sarah has a shampoo the vet gave us to bath in for her yeast. I am so glad roxi is ok.

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Ok, how do I get rid of these red tear stains? Is it a yeast infection? Does she need an antibiotic?
Have any of you dealt with this before?
Also, her nose wrinkles are starting to turn the same rusty color as her eye wrinkles!!!!!

Roxi's face is normally completely white with no wrinkle issues at all! It just seems like this happened overnight!!!! I even came home today at lunch and it seemed to be worse than when we went to the vet this morning!!!!!:cursing:

I have Angel Eyes...should I try it?
Should I get Monistat or something along those lines to help?
I am at my wits end. I washed her face off when I got home around 7, dried it and didn't put any desitin in the folds. I'm going to leave them alone the rest of the night (just drying).
Should I flush her eyes with saline solution? Should I get a special shampoo or wipe for her wrinkles? AHHHHH! I'm so confused on what to do!

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Ok, how do I get rid of these red tear stains? Is it a yeast infection? Does she need an antibiotic?
Have any of you dealt with this before?
Also, her nose wrinkles are starting to turn the same rusty color as her eye wrinkles!!!!!

Roxi's face is normally completely white with no wrinkle issues at all! It just seems like this happened overnight!!!! I even came home today at lunch and it seemed to be worse than when we went to the vet this morning!!!!!:cursing:

I have Angel Eyes...should I try it?
Should I get Monistat or something along those lines to help?
I am at my wits end. I washed her face off when I got home around 7, dried it and didn't put any desitin in the folds. I'm going to leave them alone the rest of the night (just drying).
Should I flush her eyes with saline solution? Should I get a special shampoo or wipe for her wrinkles? AHHHHH! I'm so confused on what to do!

I have no answers just want to day violets the same it's not yeast just allergies not sure how to get rid of the stains

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
IMG_0888[1].jpgIMG_0886[1].jpgIMG_0885[1].jpgIMG_0883[1].jpg
Here are some pictures of what is going on!!!!:anyone:

Attachments

• IMG_0887[1].jpg