Puppy with UTI Infection/Bladder Stones

brcjzl

Jul 7, 2011
Canfield, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Liam, (Bailey RIP 05/22/2011)
We have a 10 week old puppy that has an e-coli uti infection and bladder stones. Has anyone had experience with a puppy this young having stones? Is there anything we can do other than surgery to dissolve the stones? We purchased our pup from a breeder two weeks ago and noticed blood in the urine within four days. The vet is 100% sure the dog had the infection and stones prior to us receiving the dog. The vet did a culture on the urine and found the e-coli infection. Also, ultrasound confirmed stones that did not appear on the xray. Because of this the vet thinks they are urate stones.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Ugh. SO sorry for you baby!!

I have some experience with this. Lupe was about that age when we discovered blood on her dog bed and urine dibbles. She was diagnosed with a stricture, basically skin blocking her urethra, that had to be manually opened weekly (She loves going to the Vet until she SEES the Vet!) She also had loads of bladder crystals, a prolapsed vulva; it was a mess, but through careful feeding and eventually plastic surgery, she's all better.

Ask your Vet about a diet that might dissolve the stones. We went of Urinary S/O I think. It's a bad dog food, but really cleared up her bladder. We also still add water to Lupe's food every feeding. I also put a capful of apple cider vinegar in the dog water bowl. Finally, give her a wipe every evening. We use witch hazel pads, even now. It's just so hard for bully's to reach there on their own!!

You may want to opt for a check to see if there is some other kind of abnormality in her girl-part anatomy that might make UTIs chronic. Other times it's just a Ph issue.

Also...lots of belly rubs! Bladder and UTIs are painful, as us girls know!

OP
brcjzl

brcjzl

Jul 7, 2011
Canfield, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the response, our dog is a male. I took him to the vet again yesterday so they could do bloodwork, etc to eliminate a liver shunt. The stones may just be a result of the severe strain of e-coli that he has. We did a second culture to verify the results of the first as the e-coli is resistent to most antibiotics.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry to hear about your sick pup, sounds like that breeder is selling sick pups which is a shame and all too common with back yard breeders or puppy mills. It pays to do your home work and you may have. The breeder should have given you a health guarantee signed by a vet when you bought the pup, because they should have known the pup was sick before you got him. We always give a health guarantee signed by my vet with all our pups. If one has a problem later on I want to know about it and we can take care of it. I would coll the breeder and tell them what is going on and see what they have to say. Hope he gets better soon and keep us posted.

OP
brcjzl

brcjzl

Jul 7, 2011
Canfield, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Follow-up: Puppy with UTI Infection/Bladder Stones

Our puppy has a liver shunt. This is what caused the bladder stones. Surgery was performed last Thursday in an attempt to correct the shunt and remove the bladder stones. The shunt was large and intra heptatic. It was a difficult operation and the surgeon was unable to repair it using an ameroid constrictor. However, he was able to use silk thread to partially tie off the shunt. The hope is the body will produce enough scar tissue to close off the shunt in the near future. A blood test will be performed in eight weeks to determine how successful the surgery was. Luckily our vet had enough knowledge to suspect a liver shunt when he saw bladder stones in such a young puppy. Liam would not survive without the surgery.

IMAG0098.jpg

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
sending good thoughts and well wishes your way!! he is simply adorable. Best of Luck :) keep us posted please

OP
brcjzl

brcjzl

Jul 7, 2011
Canfield, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
We lost our bully Bailey in May and can't go through any more heartache. Bailey overheated at vet and passed away. He would have been 6. Too young to go.

OP
brcjzl

brcjzl

Jul 7, 2011
Canfield, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Re: Puppy with UTI Infection/Bladder Stones - LIVER SHUNT UPDATE!

Good news! We just got the results back from Liam's bile acid test and the results are 100% normal. (Liam was in the 250 range before surgery and normal is 0 - 6.) The surgeon was only expecting to see improvement 8 weeks after surgery. The fact that he is in the normal range is amazing. The vets don't anticipate any further issues from the liver shunt. Yea! :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What fantastic news..... you must be jumping with joy!!!

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
SO glad to hear that little Liam is doing better!!! That's amazing.
Should the stones clear up now?? I'm not entirely sure what a liver shunt is. But our kitties get stones and they are on a special food that's to control those. They have had significantly less stones and UTIs ever since they got put on that food.

also, love the name Liam :) if I ever have kids, that's always been my first name choice!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Wonderful news. I was holding my breath while reading this thread.

Whew! Congrats!

OP
brcjzl

brcjzl

Jul 7, 2011
Canfield, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Liam is stone free. They removed the bladder stones when they did the liver shunt surgery. A liver shunt is a blood vessel that carries blood around the liver instead of through it. Since very little blood gets to the liver, toxins build up and cause a multitude of problems. Death is almost certain without surgery.

SO glad to hear that little Liam is doing better!!! That's amazing.
Should the stones clear up now?? I'm not entirely sure what a liver shunt is. But our kitties get stones and they are on a special food that's to control those. They have had significantly less stones and UTIs ever since they got put on that food.

also, love the name Liam :) if I ever have kids, that's always been my first name choice!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy for Liam and you, this is great news he is doing so well. bully hugs to you and him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.