Neutered vs. Not Neutered

asimpson

Jun 20, 2011
Edgewood, Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassius aka "Cash"
What are some of the Pro's and Con's of Bullie Neutering?
At what age do you have them neutered?
Does this have any impact on his health?
We don't have any other animals nor will he be around any other animals, so would this even be necessary?
If I don't get him neutered what major problems can arise?

Thanks,

Allison

Casee

May 8, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Taser
I'm probably not neutering Taser, .....and my vet says he will get a little bigger and more muscular if I don't till he's a couple years old.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Pros:
*Health... eliminates the risk of testicle cancer, and reduces the risk of prostate problems
*Temperament... if done prior to sexual maturity, males tend to be less agressive. I've read somewhere of CDC claimed that %85 of unprovoked dog attacks were by unaltered males. You also decrease the urge to wander, marking, and humping

Cons:
*Cost, which can easily be considered a "Pro" considering the cost involved with unaltered male hormonal health issues
*If done early, he may not develop the leg hiking when peeing, which may be considered by some as "girly" (not by me)
*No option for showing or breeding
*Testosterone is a calorie burner, so diet/weight may need more strigent management.

I had the hardest time with this decision, even though I knew it was the best thing for him and us. I kept promising my wife all week that I would make the appointment, and she ultimately ended up having to make the call. She had no mercy on me as she scheduled the appointment on a day that I would have to take him to the vet... I felt terrible like I was betraying a friend, but looking back I realized I was being silly. The surgery didn't slow him up a bit and I'm glad we had it done, even though for whatever reason, perhaps a guy thing, it was tough for me to do.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our vet says to wait until they are at least 18 months old to neuter them because they are still growing. If done too early the males tend to have a smaller head.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], I just don't get the "smaller head theory" We adopted Vegas at 4 1/2 months old, he was already neutered, so I had no decision to make. His head is huge yet appropriate for his size. I would hate to see his head any bigger than it is! He does pee like a girl though, lol.

Vegas3-3-11004.jpg

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION].... :rofl: "Girlie Doggie" ?? ;)

Attachments

• IMAG0278.jpg
    IMAG0278.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 112

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], between him being neutered and peeing like a girl, do you know how many times I have hear "Aawww, how old is SHE???" :ROFL: I know I am being biased but I think he looks pure manly.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]........... That is nothing..... Princess Gracie can be in a pink dress, pink Harness, pink leash and someone invariably will say "What's HIS name?" Someone actually said that they didn't know bulldogs came in female..... We didn't know how to respond we were in such shock... :rofl:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]........... That is nothing..... Princess Gracie can be in a pink dress, pink Harness, pink leash and someone invariably will say "What's HIS name?" Someone actually said that they didn't know bulldogs came in female..... We didn't know how to respond we were in such shock... :rofl:

NOW there is intelligence personified!! Amazing what goes on in some peoples heads!

[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]..I'm with you..Vegas is a manly guy! I think the small headed theory has been proven wrong!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], I just don't get the "smaller head theory" We adopted Vegas at 4 1/2 months old, he was already neutered, so I had no decision to make. His head is huge yet appropriate for his size. I would hate to see his head any bigger than it is! He does pee like a girl though, lol.

Vegas3-3-11004.jpg

I don't know just passing on the info our vet said, I just pass it along. :D

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], between him being neutered and peeing like a girl, do you know how many times I have hear "Aawww, how old is SHE???" :ROFL: I know I am being biased but I think he looks pure manly.

You could get him some neuticals :lmao:

In all seriousness, though, if you plan to get pet insurance, some things are not covered if the pets are not spayed/neutered. So, one other thing to consider!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.