Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neutered vs. Not Neutered

Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Neutered vs. Not Neutered

Quote Originally Posted by KMARINO View Post
    @BruceP, between him being neutered and peeing like a girl, do you know how many times I have hear "Aawww, how old is SHE???" I know I am being biased but I think he looks pure manly.
    You could get him some neuticals

In all seriousness, though, if you plan to get pet insurance, some things are not covered if the pets are not spayed/neutered. So, one other thing to consider!

Wrinkle Wiper
    Likes (Received)

Here is the real information about spay/neuter, for those interested in the scientific evidence.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longt...uterindogs.pdf

In summary, from the point of view of health only, it is somewhat better NOT to neuter male dogs. The position with female dogs is equivocal (ie 50/50).

Of course there may be other reasons for neutering (eg risk of unwanted pregnancies).

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=MissPennyLue;82051]You could get him some neuticals

In all seriousness, though, if you plan to get pet insurance, some things are not covered if the pets are not spayed/neutered. So, one other thing to consider
    Neuticals....
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 07-08-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hoegaandit View Post
    Here is the real information about spay/neuter, for those interested in the scientific evidence.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longt...uterindogs.pdf

In summary, from the point of view of health only, it is somewhat better NOT to neuter male dogs. The position with female dogs is equivocal (ie 50/50).

Of course there may be other reasons for neutering (eg risk of unwanted pregnancies).

Thanks for your info..however..I'm sure like anything you can find "scientific evidence" to justify any opinion. One vets "opinion" is not reason enough to ignore the prevailing veterinarian opinion regarding this. Kind of like a few scientists opinions regarding global warming vs the vast majority of their community. In our personal experience..we recently lost a female rottie to bone cancer and she was spayed at around 3 years old. Her breed surely dictated this..not when or if she was spayed. I just don't think the vets who we put our trust in..would intentionally mislead us. So..the great part of choice is ..we all can make the best one we can for our dogs..and hope for the best!

Wrinkle Wiper
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear about your rottie. If you look at the article though, it is an overview of about fifty scientific studies in the matter, and therefore in my opinion should be given weight. It is not biased one way or another eg indicates that the benefits of neutering bitches is about the same as not neutering them. Also, it's worth repeating that these studies are only looking at the health of dogs, not considering other aspects of whether to spay or neuter. I know this can be a contentious issue, but I think it is in our dog's interest to try and get the best information we can about whether to spay or neuter - and this study is the best I have found.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hoegaandit View Post
    Sorry to hear about your rottie. If you look at the article though, it is an overview of about fifty scientific studies in the matter, and therefore in my opinion should be given weight. It is not biased one way or another eg indicates that the benefits of neutering bitches is about the same as not neutering them. Also, it's worth repeating that these studies are only looking at the health of dogs, not considering other aspects of whether to spay or neuter. I know this can be a contentious issue, but I think it is in our dog's interest to try and get the best information we can about whether to spay or neuter - and this study is the best I have found.
    That's why we have choices..and opinions..I respect yours..no big deal here! I'm sure you are a great bully parent! My choice is to spay and/or neuter..but how boring if we ALL thought alike! Would love to meet your dogs..and to the site!

Wrinkle Wiper
    Likes (Received)

Thanks - we just have one big boy, and I am just working out how to post his pic!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella and Neelix
    Likes (Received)

Well I just booked Neelix into get Neutered on the 5th Aug, it was going to be Sep but I will be away on business and I did not want to leave my wife alone to deal with it all. I think people just have to decide for themselves whats best, if you read all the info on the net you get confused and start to doubt why and if it should be done.

Feed Store Operator Angievelvet's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mrs. Angela Hernandez
    Bulldog(s) Names
    violet elizabeth
    Likes (Received)

I know this is all about male neutering but what abut females. I heard spay her at 6months then her breeder (lol yeah I know she's stupid) said wait till after her first heat. Of course I don't want to listen to her since she docked violets tail and removed dew.claws so should I wait or is 6kobths a good time

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Angievelvet View Post
    I know this is all about male neutering but what abut females. I heard spay her at 6months then her breeder (lol yeah I know she's stupid) said wait till after her first heat. Of course I don't want to listen to her since she docked violets tail and removed dew.claws so should I wait or is 6kobths a good time

I've always heard wait until their first heat cycle is done..that's probably pretty old school though..haven't had a female pup to spay for 30 years!

Feed Store Operator Angievelvet's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mrs. Angela Hernandez
    Bulldog(s) Names
    violet elizabeth
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    I've always heard wait until their first heat cycle is done..that's probably pretty old school though..haven't had a female pup to spay for 30 years!
    Whoa lol jk ill look into it more I just don't trust what the breeder says lol

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Angievelvet View Post
    Whoa lol jk ill look into it more I just don't trust what the breeder says lol

whatchu laffin at?? 30 years...I know I know!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads