Tips for getting ointment in eye??

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Other than waiting for her to fall asleep...that has been the strategy we have been using since she has been FREAKING out when we try to put the antibiotic ointment in Penny's eye. I think she overheard us talking and has now seems to be watching us with one eye even when she looks like she's asleep. I go over to check & she looks at me like not gonna happen.

She didn't mind it at first, and now it's this huge ordeal and she refuses to let us get the ointment in. Even with both of us, we can't do it. She thrashes around making terrible noises like we are torturing her. If I weren't frustrated over it, it would be funny.

I know lots of your bullies need eye drops, etc. Any tricks for getting it in quickly? We are supposed to be putting it in 3x a day, and we've gotten it in maybe once - twice the last two days when she's been asleep.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Duke had eye surgery two years ago and we had to give drops for almost two months 2 x's per day so I feel your pain..I did find a way that worked. I actually had the nurse at the vets office help me. I would corner Duke against the bottom of the steps in our house .. ( then please don't laugh ) I would " baby talk " to him.. she suggested this because when we get stressed so do they.. now if you can imagine this.. I would wrap Duke in the bend of my elbow and with the other hand gently pull down the BOTTOM of the eye.. we would get the medicine in that area.. then softly rub until we thought it went in.. when you try to put the meds in the middle of the eye it is so much harder.. so if you can picture to softly pull down the eye ( so you see the red skin in the bottom ) put the drops right there..

then as soon as we were done we would clap and give him praise and of course a treat.. :whew: Good Luck I know its a pain but important to get the meds in!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
I use basically the same thing as [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] for Chunk's drops and/or ointment. I even put the treat out on the table so he sees it and sometimes that helps. Eventually Chunk has fought it less, though it's still not easy!

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks! I will try this!

L

Lucy-licious

Works with us when Lucy needs her lubricating eye ointment.....the baby talk is key, calm soft cooing voice :)
The treat also helps lots too :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.