I need some advice

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
As some of you know, Gator has had some problems with his front left leg. Over the time that he was "resting" it has only gotten worse. He actually woke up at 2 in the morning one night breathing fast and heavy with intermittent panting. I gave him a pain pill and massaged his neck, shoulder and leg and after about 40 minutes the breathing slowed and he went back to sleep. The theory that he sprained something is now out the window. We have seen the best orto vet in town twice now. At his last exam, after taking 9 x-rays of his leg, shoulder and neck he has still not found anything on the x-rays to indicate a problem. He twisted and turned him every which way, watched him walk and run up and down the hallways many times and his conclusion is that he thinks there is a neuro issue meaning with the nerves & muscles. He would like to send us to get an MRI and the place that does it is going to call on Tuesday after the holiday to schedule the appt. They will have to put him under to do the MRI and I am really nervous about that. The ortho said to wait two weeks before doing the MRI to see if anything changes with strict rest.

Part of what he is concerned about is how he drags his front feet which I have found by reading here is a common thing for a bulldog. He seems pretty knowledgeable about the breed but I am wondering if I should take him to Shively to the "bulldog" vet and get another opinion? So far, this has cost us over $1,000 and the MRI will be another $800 and then another $100 for the visit back to the ortho afterwards. This doesn't include any treatment (if there is any) or maintenance of an issue. I do have to say, that we WILL pay it if it is necessary. He is a very young boy (9 months) and we will do whatever we can to make sure he has a long, happy, healthy life. BUT what if it is something that the bulldog vet might recognize more readily? Ack....not sure what to do here. He is still limping. It comes and goes after he lays down for a while. Once he starts moving around, it gets better. The ortho stated that he felt is was a weakness in his front leg and is affecting his back leg on the same side as well but to a lesser degree.

Any advice? Thoughts?

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] no, we haven't. But he isn't exhibiting any other of the symptoms of lymme. Doesn't that come along with fever, feeling sick & lethargic, rashes, etc?

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]...you know...looking at some of the research I have been doing, autoimmune of some sort could be a culprit such as Lyme disease....Oy. The ortho said the more that comes up negative, the harder it will be to figure out what is wrong. I know he was trying to prepare me for an expensive ride. lol. Poor GatorRay.....my little baby....

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
A second opinion before an MRI seems like a wise move to me.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION], thank you :). The ortho vet was our third opinion so we are on to our fourth? lol

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
yep a second opinion for sure, all your research though, it helps. I found allot from research for all different ailments . I feel bad for your poor baby. Have you tried something extra for joints, like a Glucosamine? I have a friend that swears by the stuff for her bully. Her's used to get all achey too when she woke up from naps. Some times my pups get up a little gimpy, but they play hard and it goes away quickly. Your pupper's case sounds different though with all the panting that is associated with pain. I'm going to do a little research on this too.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] if you plan to do some research, I can give you some more info. Like I said earlier, when he has been laying down for a while it is worse. He also will walk by swinging that leg out to the side and around. Not all the time but sometimes. His back leg on the same side also will kick out to the side here and there. He will fold his paw under and sit that way occasionally as well (this is new). BUT if you don't put him on leash and he decides to take off (which has happened twice in the last three weeks) he runs strait and true and his leg works just fine but then he will start limping after the run. I (and the ortho) are now of the opinion that it may be more in his shoulder or neck. As usual, he will not yelp, whine or flinch when you do anything so it is hard to tell where it is originating from. It does seem to be some sort of weakness at times because he will sometimes just be sitting and that front leg will wobble or shake a bit. Also, both of the bullies have trouble with the hardwood floor but as observed by the ortho, when Gator slips it is ALWAYS that side of his body...either front or back leg. Never to the right. Kind of odd. After being manipulated at the ortho for the exam as well as the x-rays, he was VERY sore and limped on a constant basis that day and the next. There is no swelling or "heat" anywhere and everything on the x-rays is normal for his leg, shoulder and neck.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GatorRay I searched "why is my english bulldog limping" I found something called PANO. I coppied this in hopes it may be helpful to you. If he doesn't show pain often, but limps allot, it may be something "not as serious " as we think.

Dog Diseases – Limping (Pano)

Limping in dogs can be caused by several problems associated with bones and bone growth. The most common is panosteitis or "pano." This is also referred to as growing pains and wandering leg lameness. Pano is characterized by shifting leg lameness; one leg will heal, then another may be affected. The good part is that there are no long-term ill-effects of pano.

Pano Facts
1. Pano is associated with large breed dogs.
2. It usually occurs in dogs 5 to 12 months of age, although it has been found in dogs as old as 5 years.
3. It most commonly affects males by a ratio of 4:1. Females are most often affected around their first heat.
4. The exact cause of Pano is not known - many factors have been associated with pano like - diet, viral diseases, autoimmune problems, hyperestrogen, and vascular problems

Diagnosis
Pano is a process in which the fatty marrow inside the long bones degenerates and is replaced by bone cells. As the blood flow inside the bone becomes congested, the tissue covering the inside of the bone and the tissue covering the outside of the bone can also become involved. Eventually the new bone cells are reabsorbed, and the marrow is restored. This buildup of bone cells can sometimes be seen as darker patches on the bone in a radiograph.
The dog normally limps on the affected limb and only rarely holds the limb to prevent any weight from being placed on it. It is often easily diagnosed with an x-ray; the lesion shows as the dark patch on the bone. Pressure applied on the bone elicits a pain response.

Treatment
A great number of treatments have been proposed and tried, but all have had very limited or extremely questionable success, and then only as partial palliatives; nothing has been conclusively shown to have a cause-and-effect relationship.

Since the cause is unknown, treatment is indicated and routinely prescribed only for the symptoms. Aspirin, sulfa compounds, other antibiotics, vitamin C and calcium supplements have been most commonly attempted. Of the analgesics and other medications tried, buffered aspirin (less irritating to the canine digestive tract) probably has the greatest effect and widest application in relieving some pain in some

Conclusion
Pano is a self-limiting disease affecting many of the long leg bones, predominately in large dogs between 5 and 18 months old. The cause is unknown, but high-protein diets may make symptoms worse or last longer. It is "self-limiting" and the afflicted dogs "outgrow" the disease.

Posted by Sami

Labels: Dog Diseases, Dog Health

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Maybe he would benefit from hydrotherapy. BabyGirl still limps but only after resting from her walk but at least I know it's caused by arthritis. Sorry for you and your baby. I know it sucks not knowing. Will pray for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] thanks for that but there was nothing on x-ray whatsoever. He has had 12 xrays. Three about three weeks ago and then nine more on Thursday. Also, the limping is limited to one leg. Keep looking if you are interested! I would love all and any input.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
indeed, I'm like a freaking detective....tehe

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
If it makes you feel happier than go and see the bully vet that you mentioned. If he mentions anything different from the first vet then it might be useful ... I'm so sorry I can't be of any help!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
check out this site called dog joint health . com

and get some rest tonight. my thoughts are with you both. Good luck :detective:

Last edited by a moderator:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor gator. hope he feels better soon, when Buddy boy was younger (under a year old) he would start limping sometimes when he would get up from a nap and he finally grew out of it. So I'm hoping it is nothing serious and Gator will grow out of it. We will keep him in our prayers it is nothing serious.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.