Oh my.. dogs and ice cubes..is this true??

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I have never heard that before and I know of alot of dogs that love ice and eat it. I wonder if thats true? Scary. Samson LOVES ice, both my dogs coming running when I get ice out of the freezer or open an ice chest. And everytime I share!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have actually heard this before so I think it may be true. I do give ice cubes but not when the boys are heated, only when they are chillin in the house and I know they arent too hot for them. It is a scary thought cuz I know we all have done this before. I am sure there will be others who can add in if they had heard this before or not. Good posting tho for sure!

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
i've always given horse cool water, not cold, with the thinking that cold water or ice water/ice cubes will make the body work harder to get the water to body temperature, therefore using more energy, instead of replenishing the dogs body. not sure if this makes sense, but i've heard athletes talk about the importance of drinking just slightly cool water, as it's easier on your body and your body has to expend less energy to absorb it.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
i watch that show its me or the dog on animal planet and the trainer on there, who seems pretty good, said to give them ice cubes after 6pm and not water (well this was for a dog that had bathroom issues) but still she said ice cubes.

I give both my dogs ice water when we come in from outside and its hot.

Ok read the article. I don't know if this is totally accurate, some things on facebook are suspect. My vet never told me not to do this.

Last edited:

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
I give my two babies ice water when they come in from the heat. We live in Arizona so it gets pretty hott out here! But i have heard not to give your body ice cold water because it works hard to make it to the right body temp. I used to be in sports && they told us not to drink cold water. I wonder if it's the same for dogs?? Hmm..

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
chesty loves ice cubes... I just give him one now and again... cause he likes them... cold water when it is hot out changing many times a day to keep it cold...and his pool on the deck to put his feet in... keep his pads cool and he will stay cool. makes for a messy wet house but a safe dog. now Cadi hates ice cubes but love fresh cold water...if not fresh she will just look at me as if to say excuse me..... she also does not like the pool or the bath tub... but I did that by mistake when she was a baby...another story...

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Ice cold water causes both of my dogs (Bulldog and Pug) to go into spasms. Both have elongated soft palates, and I was advised never to give either dog ICED Cold water. The water should be room temperature. Choking on an ice cube is a very real danger. I don't offer either dog ice cubes.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Thanks for the info! We give ice sometimes, but not when they are overheated. This is good to know!

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
After some research I found that Ice cubes do not directly cause bloat, but overheating and ice cubes is not a good mix. If the animal is too hot, you should put a cool towel on their skin surface rather than give them too much water (or ice!), because if they drink it too quickly it will cause BLOAT.

Here is an answer I found online regarding this topic:

Question:
Can bloat be attributed to feeding your dog ice or ice water?
A: Not directly. If your dog drinks the ice water or eats the ice cubes too fast, there is a potential to lead to bloat.
Bloat is a condition in a dog or cat when they eat too much or too fast, and suck in air with the food or water, allowing the stomach to fill with gas. Most often, dogs will eat their meal very fast and then run or play, sucking in air as they bounce around, filling their stomach. Some dogs will bloat by eating too much too fast. Regardless, the stomach fills with gas and is at risk for flipping, causing a GDV (Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus), which is an emergency condition and required immediate surgery. Dogs with bloat or a GDV can very quickly go into shock and if stretched too far can potentially slough part of their stomach, which is life threatening.
Most common breeds susceptible to bloat are the deep chested dogs, like Bassett Hounds, Standard Poodles, Labradors, Weimaraner, Shepherds, etc.
Signs of bloat include:
  • Trying to vomiting without producing anything (gagging)
  • Inability to get comfortable and lie down
  • Restlessness
  • Distended, firm abdomen
  • Inappetance
If your dog shows any of these clinical signs, I would recommend taking your dog to a veterinarian immediately.
~Dr. Page Wages
Oberlin Animal Hospital

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.