Help! Porkchop Needs Emergency Layynx Surgery

kzigmund

Jun 28, 2011
Philadelphia,PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop
Hi All,

I was told this morning that my 2yr old Porkchop needs emergency Larynx surgery and might require a trach. has anyone ver heard of or experienced this? They are telling me the bill could be from $3,500-$10,000. I do not know much about this surgery to know whether it is safe or not. The vet is not giving me to many answers, only that they will not know the extent until they cut him open and see.

Please help! I am so worried. I am doing as much research as possible but it is exhausting.

Also does anyone know if pet insurance covers this?

KZigmund

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Is he saying why he needs or what's causing him to need the surgery?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
What is causing this .. why this sudden need for surgery on his larynx????

Also, what insurance do you have.

Unfortunately, I know this is a very stressful time but I think we need a few more details before any of us on this forum can give any advice or help.

OP
kzigmund

kzigmund

Jun 28, 2011
Philadelphia,PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop
Thank you. The need for the surgery was explained to me because his larynx is already smaller than most breeds ,and he has swelling in his larynx and the surrounding tissue. I was informed this can just happen for no apparent cause. The swelling is what is causing a blockage in his larynx which is causing him to have extreme difficulty in breathing. He is very sluggish becuase he is using all his energy in breathing. It was explained to me that right now he is breathing through a straw and after the surgery it would be like breathing through a hose for him. He is on steroids but the steroids are not taking away all of the swelling. Also, because of the severity of the blockage, there is a chance that he might not be able to wake up from the anesthesia on his own and will need to be on breathing support along with a trach or breathing tube.

The vet informed me that he did this same surgery a couple of days ago with complete success and did it 4 weeks ago and had complications. My main concern is his quality of life. The vet assured me this is a common issue among bulldogs but I was not aware of this severe of an issue.

As for the insurance, we were told this is a gentic disorder and therefore would not be covered. We are looking into switching to PetPlan but this would be considered a pre-existing condition and also not covered as well.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Anytime a major surgery like this I would recommend a second opinion. Is your vet a highly qualified bully vet?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Anything develop in this? I was thinking about you and Porkchop.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I am so sorry for Porkchop and you, I'm like @desertskibulldogs in getting a second opinion with a vet that specializes in bullies. Please keep us posted and we will keep him in our prayers.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online