Sun Bunny

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
BabyGirl has been wanting to lie in the sun lately. Is this normal and is it ok to let her lie in the sun for a couple of minutes? It was 83 outside. Being that she is most of the time indoors I'm wondering if she's missing some benefits from sun bathing. Being that she is going thru some shedding issues and white, I'm nervous about letting her stay in the sun. She was only in the sun for a few minutes but she has been doing this the last three days when I let her go out to potty I find her lying in the sunshine. She is taking supplements from the vet for her skin and coat so I'm waiting to see if things get better. She has always been on the pink side for those who wonder about her skin.

Last edited by a moderator:

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Those are very good questions. Mocha loves to sun bathe also, but unless the weather isnt supper hot I dont let her. It makes me feel bad, but if it is hot out I dont think its a good idea.Why do they love to lay in the sun so much????I do know they sell sunblock for dogs.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I let my dogs lay in the sun. They have access to go out whenever we are home. Norm will come in when he gets too hot.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Lex loves sun bathing when it's lower than 85's we will let him sun bathe longer. But this summer heat here he only stays out for a few mins. He always wants to sun so I will sit out w him and monitor his sun bathing. But yes it's a bully thing they love sunnin!!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
She looks like a Sun Goddess to me... LOL What a cuddlebug she must be! :heart::heart::heart:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] stole my line haha, she does look like a sun goddess. It must be a bully thing, because all of mine love to sun too, except now that it is soooo hot here they only get to sun just a few minutes at a time.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Will she get in a wading pool? Perhaps combine the sun bathing with water play at the same time to make sure she stays cool. I think perhaps they sometimes instinctively know what they need.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I think it feels good to sun and be warm and bullies love to feel good! Bentley and Truman LOVE to sun but Linus, not so much. He likes to sun in the house, with the fan blowing on him! Smart bully!

Not to beat this dead horse, but be super careful with the sunning. I wrote an article on it so pretty much everyone knows but my Bentley was only six years old when he passed away. He went outside to potty and instead of coming in, he decided to sit in the sun - he had always come in before so we never, ever thought he'd just sit out there - but he did. In 25 minutes in 86 degree weather, he died. Please let that be a lesson to never trust that your bully knows enough to come in or should be ever, ever left unattended outside in even moderately warm temps! It was so unexpected, so heartbreaking, and I don't want it to happen to anyone else!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] so sorry about Bentley, first time I have heard about him. This is why I tell anyone who wants a bully to NOT get a doggie door, My heart goes out to you guys.

OP
Fontanafox

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Thanks everyone. It's good to know that it's a bully thing and that she is normal or at least "bulldog normal.":rolleyes:

[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] She was laying right next to the wading pool in this video. She loves to wade around in it every time I let her go out but then she will lay down and sun herself. She is rarely left alone for more than two minutes. I'm sure I over-supervise. I just let them go out and do their business and when I bring them back in BabyGirl decides she'd rather plop down on her side and get some rays. The more I ask her to come in the more she rolls over belly up and paws the air (as if to say please just let me lie here). Well after counting to 30 I have to bring the garden hose and mist her a little and that's when she decides to get up. Wilson always obeys and goes into the house directly.
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] I remember your tragic story and it would haunt me forever. I'm so sorry for your loss of Bentley and believe me I don't take that advice lightly. I feel like I spend most of my time watching over them. You know bulldogs, they always want to be touched and loved so if they aren't dog-piled under my desk and chair they've got their butts pushed up against my legs. So even if they are away from me a little bit I even start to worry where they are even if they are just lying just a few feet away in the kitchen or lying on the other side of my husbands lazy boy. :unsure: That's is just how much I worry about them.
There have been other tragic stories here. Like someone mentioned of a friends bulldog that jumped off a boat and never came up out of the water. This is too horrible not to remember. I share good and bad stories with my husband to make him aware and to educate him since mostly he is a TV junky and if I didn't share what I learned he wouldn't know how to respect their needs.
I'm so glad I chanced upon EBN. I can't even recall how I came to this great forum. I think it was the photo contest. Didn't realize what a great resource I had stepped into. Bless and thank all of you "Bulldog Lovers:heart:"

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
bullys do love to sunbathe though given that she all white perhaps pop a tshirt on her,and spray her down with cool water from time to time,i had a bully who collapsed whilst out in the sun,she was out cold i poured water on her and she came round and was fine,it taught me a valuable lesson,we dont get much heat here in the uk but when we do i only let annie stay out for 20 mins at a time,though i know she would stay in it all day!!,karen

James3900

May 26, 2011
Svebolle, Vestsjalland, Denmark, Denmark
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Neelix
I can't get Neelix in from the garden , he will lie out there for hours if I let him. The garden door is always open though and in Denmark we never usually get over 80 degrees , the past few days its been around 75f. As long as there is shade and lots of water, even as I am writing this he is out there with his big spotty belly in the air :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.