great news but also concerned

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
ok so jeff had taken lex in for his mange check up this morning and he is mange free :happydance:

on to my concern....I had brought to our vet attention about lex very narrow nostril opening and asked if we needed to widen them so he could breathe better. he looked and said yes they are very narrow and we should widen them. well today he told jeff that he looked into it more and said that he didnt want to do the surgery cause lex breathes really really quite for a bully. i am concerned when he gets hot and starts breathing harder i dont want him to have to struggle more than he has to. when lex lays down he opens his mouth to breath like when your stuffy and gotta breath from the mouth. here is a video of him breathing so yall can see what im talking about. maybe im just being a worry wart about this but it seems strange to me. do yall's bullies breath like this?

YouTube - ‪Breathing‬‏

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Hmmm ya I dont think that's normal either but not sure on bullies

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig doesn't do that too. He only breathes through his mouth when he's panting, but other than that, it's through his nose.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
3 bullies, none of them do that...it does appear he has a lot of trouble breathing through his nose. :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
17 years of owning bullies- never saw this before. It's like my hubby sleeping! I would look into it further fir sure!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
if his gums stay pink then hes not losing oxygen,all you can do is keep him in on very hot days,i wouldnt go for surgery unless hes really struggling and becoming destressed ,he looks very healthy ,also it may be a bit of a habit if hes always done that ,only my opinion tho lol,hes very cute ,karen

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Well...I personally dont think its normal either. He does seem to have a little trouble breathing. I also would not put him through any surgeries unless it was absolutely needed. Just make sure you keep a close eye on him in hot weather and when he plays hard. Other that that ....HE is Super Good looking!!!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
BabyGirl was doing that when she had a reaction to a new food which caused her face to swell and her nose was stuffed up but once she got her allergy shot it went away. To me it looks like he can't breathe through his nose very well and has to open his mouth to get some air. Is he in good health otherwise? Like someone said before, show the video to your vet or get a second opinion.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I have never seen that before, I agree with everyone that is does look like he has a bit of trouble breathing thru his nose. Either way, he is just too cute, I love Lex!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have never seen that and I can see why you would be concerned but I don't have any experience with anything like that so can't really comment any more than anyone else has. BUT I did want to respond and tell you how adorable Lex is!

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Ya I hate not being able to go to the dr when lex has an app cause jeff doesn't think anything about the breathing either and of course he doesn't tell me what he says till after they are home. didn't really think that would have come up either since he went for the mite check up. I will go by there one day and show him the video and see what he says about it. Yes I know lex is a very quite breather for a Bully, he doesn't even snore at night. I mean if u can't find him all u have to do is listen and youll be able to hear him but other than at night nothing. He is healthy as an ox, only thing we have had to deal with is mange. He only has seasonal allergies. Not allergic to anything.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor boy, I have never seen any of mine do this, I'm agree with some of the others and would show your vet the video. Lex is a great looking bully though.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.