So, the eye is now back in...

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I guess that's good news?

I'm not sure what's going on with it.

It looked "cherried" this morning as soon as she woke up & looked more red as the morning went on. We went to church, and when we got her out of the crate the bulging was gone. I just got home from golf lessons and it looks a little red/irritated in the corner of the eye, but nothing like it did earlier.

Maybe it is just irritation. I'll be keeping an eye on it closely!

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses in my other post! It is so nice to have someone to say "I've been there" so that I'm not panicking here! I told my husband it was nice to have some reassurance!:D

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I"d like to comment, but I haven't been on here for a while (moving house ..:crazy:) ... but it sounds like you got wonderful advice on a cherry eye issue and I'm so glad that it seems to be working out ok!!

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Nevermind...it's back out now. How weird is that?

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
That's because when they get excited and it is Cherry Eye ,it will pop out ! When We took Mocha to the Vets he massaged it back into place and as soon as she was placed on the floor, out it came!! Your Vet will let you know whether or not it is, but Im thinking it is.In the meantime you can use a warm washcloth and compress the area.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I didn't read your earlier post but that is how cherry eye is, it comes and it goes; also it looks way worse than it is. We have learned we can wait to have it fixed when we neuter.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
if you try and put it back in it may stay in,we put annies back months ago and it hasnt come back,you can youtube it and see how its done,its very easy and doesnt hurt the dog,karen

L

Lucy-licious

if your going to use the massage method to put it back in use cooled boiled water on a cloth or on cotton wool balls to minimise risk of infection.
lubricating eye gel/drops will help her too. I'm sure somebody got drops for people for their dog but cant remember who.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Ok, so we just got back from the vet. It's definitely cherry eye.

Our vet wants to do surgery on Wednesday to fix it. He said that he likes to fix it ASAP to avoid any corneal abrasions which could cause pigmentation/vision problems later on. He also said that he feels that it heals much quicker the younger the pup.

My big concern is that he wants to fix it now and we cannot wait until she is spayed. I asked if she was old enough to spay (she's 16 weeks today). He said he likes to spay no earlier than 4.5 months. I don't really know what to do other than follow through with is recommendations.

I am really nervous about anesthesia two times for the eye and then in another month or two for spaying. The first puppy my husband & I had when we got married (a beagle/daschund mix) died under anesthesia when we took him to get him neutered. So, as you can imagine, I am REALLY hesitant to have her put under not only once, but twice.

Our vet is listed on the Bulldog Club of America's website for our state (PA). Our neighbor who has a bully recommended him highly, and our vet co-owns bullies & has one of his own named Bon Jovi. He said at a previous visit that he sees about 90% off the bulldogs in our area. So, I do feel like he knows bulldogs.

There were two vets within an hour of us listed on the Recommended Vets on this forum. Do you think if I would call the office tomorrow they would advise over the phone?

I know this is just one of those things that happens with this breed, but I feel terrible. I already have anxiety over the surgery! :*(

Spinal Remains

May 31, 2011
Nassau County, N.Y.
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus Hambone (Hambonicus, Ruffie, Baby Bone, and 'Gargoyle Boy' - he sits on arm of couch
You should wait.

Wait another few weeks, continuing to put in the salve or drops to lubricate her eye and keep it moist.
The reason I say this is for two reasons. Firstly, you don't want your puppy anaesthetized twice within the first six months of life. Secondly, you'll only have to pay for one anaesthesia. I had both done at once for my little guy. He had the cherry for a few months and I just kept putting the salve in his eye. He worked out fine. My vet actually recommended waiting so that he wouldnt be put under 2 times.

I don't know your vet, and I am not a vet myself, but it only seems logical to wait. You have to weigh the cons. Possible eye scratch versus going under 2 times for a puppy. That's a no brainer to me.

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
if your going to use the massage method to put it back in use cooled boiled water on a cloth or on cotton wool balls to minimise risk of infection.
lubricating eye gel/drops will help her too. I'm sure somebody got drops for people for their dog but cant remember who.

It was us that got the lubricating drops for people to us on Princess Gracie. The brand is Blink and it says right on the label 'Lubricating Eye Drops'. I got it at Walgreens.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
I would tell your vet YOUR wishes to only put her under once. If he says no, that he wants to do it right away tell him in that case your are going to get a second opinion.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I would tell your vet YOUR wishes to only put her under once. If he says no, that he wants to do it right away tell him in that case your are going to get a second opinion.

Thanks. I am going to call the other vets listed on this page tomorrow to see if we could get in for a second opinion. I also sent a vet family friend a FB message to get his thoughts. He's a vet about an hour from us, so I thought if nothing else, he may be able to recommend someone else. I'll see what I find out tomorrow!

My husband is also concerned about putting her under twice (then what happens if the other eye does it as well?). I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that this is aggressive for such a young dog. We would be worried about it regardless, but because of our past experience with the other pup, we are even more worried.

He did give me antibiotic drops to keep it lubricated & prevent infection.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My local vet says dogs can live with a cherry eye so I don't see why it can't wait till she's ready to be fixed.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
And also, by waiting, perhaps the other eye will develop cherry eye and they can be done at the same time. Sometimes I think Vet's rate the urgency of a situation by when their payment is due on their Mercedes. ;)

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
A little update:

We decided to have Penny's eye fixed yesterday. Poor baby girl. By Monday evening the cherry was about half of the size of her eye, red/ulcerated looking, and her eye was oozing green, goopy gunk even with the antibiotic ointment every 8 hours. I made lots of phone calls on Monday and got many mixed reviews on the best thing to do. I called back to our vet's office and spoke to him about our concerns about putting her under twice. They were very understanding, and said that he always recommended anesthesia as few times as possible, but based on the way her eye was looking that he strongly felt that we should take care of it sooner rather than later.

She did well, and we were able to pick her her yesterday afternoon. She was groggy yesterday and quite pathetic. She is quite ticked about wearing the cone (has to wear it for 10 days) and getting ointment in her eye. I had to wait until she was asleep to do it. She is more herself today, and nearly plowed me over to eat breakfast this morning.

Thanks for all of the advice over the last few days! I think it has been a traumatic experience for us & Penny. She looks a little like she was in a bar fight, but her eye is looking better already (no more drainage/goop).

A little blessing in this was getting in contact with our local bulldog club (I had sent some e-mails for vet recs to the officers listed online). They were super helpful & I think that we will get involved!
penny - cone.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online