How do you keep your bullies cool in the summer heat?

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Michelle shared this with English Bulldog News on facebook and I thought I would post it here on the forums as well.

27448_100000643774843_9094_q.jpg

Michelle Nihiser took my bully to vet today for check-up and he told me that 3 bullys have died over the past couple days due to heat... I guess never assume!!! please keep your bully's in a-c at all times. Have them potty and then come right back in....:) thanks

So the question is folks, how do you keep your bullies cool during the hot summer? Any tips to ensure the safety of your bully?

We do several things to make sure our bullies stay cool. Not only should the AC be on, but if you leave your home make sure there is a fan blowing where they can sit in front of if the get overheated as well. Many bullies die of AC failure while their mamas and papas are at work!!!

We live in Arizona, so we must take extra steps to ensure our bullies do not get too hot. We have a misting system on under our patio, and a kiddie pool. Fresh water is a must, because the water that comes out of faucets and hoses at this time of year it very hot for a minute or two until the underground flow comes.

Anyone else have any really good tips for keeping your bullies cool?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I really dont since my boys are just in the house with me during the day but this is a good topic to have as a reminder and I know many will have great ideas to add.
Last visit I took to Butchko, the bulldog vet, was a couple months ago and it was around 10 in the morning so not even hot yet and when I registered at the check-in they told me they had lost one already out in the car. It was not even out of the 70's yet, how sad is that?!?! Figure it couldnt even have been there that long and started to respirate and they couldnt save. Heart breaking!!! They had only brought their pup in for something minor and lost him that fast. Even if you think it isnt hot outside and you are out and about make sure to have your air conditioner on while in the car please.

michelle

Jun 25, 2010
Lima,Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle,Ella,Lilly,Queenie
hello,
I would like to share a tip I learned from Jan Lewis- purchase a power inverter for your car!! You can run a fan with this. I keep this in my van with a fan for any distance trips. I have a-c but you never know when it could go out??
Also a quick note please make sure you have benedryl on hand.... just in case...:) thanks

MissBailey

May 23, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lil Miss Bailey
My Miss Bailey sets on my lap most of the day in the air conditioning, she has a kiddie pool and a slip and slide and loves the water

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I always have the AC and fans on with plenty of water out to drink. During the hot parts of the day I only let Samson out to potty real quick then its right back in the house.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Kool collars! Great little collars that hold frozen ice packs. You can switch out the ice packs thru out the day for indoor use, or use ice to simulate sweat for outdoor use.
http://www.koolcollarstore.com/index.html
Vegas has a kiddie pool but O doesn't care to be wet. We also have AC.........our biggest thing is that we live in Washington. It's July and it's only been in the high 60s. This week we will be setting record temps. Thursday is supposed to be in the 90s.

mactaz35

Jul 12, 2010
Dallas, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
TAZ (age 4) and Gracie (18mo) (allie died @ age 3 from anaphylaxis to her vacinations)
I put ice in their water if they have to be out during the day d/t no one home, but they also have a fan in the garage where the can go into from the back yard. They also love water and will stay outside with me and go swimming in my pool. They have life jackets. Otherwise they stay inside if possible.

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
I recently bought a cooling collar that was recommended to me by a fellow bulldog owner. I also feed him icecubes, keep a small fan on his crate in the daytime and also keep him indoors as much as possible. Good luck!!

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
just heard that the woman/breeder than I got Horse from left 2 of her bullies and a lab mix outside while she ran to the store (they live in NC), and when she got back they had somehow opened the gate to the pool and the bullies had drowned in the pool, despite her CPR efforts, they didnt make it. A good lesson to all, never, ever leave your bullldogs unattended around water and the hot weather, even if its just for a few minutes. I feel so bad for her and those poor dogs, but she's also been raising english bulldogs forever and always had a pool, so I question why she would ever leave them alone outside in the heat with a pool that the dogs can get access to...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Omg that is awful! Heartbreaking .... I cannot imagine the guilt...

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
just heard that the woman/breeder than I got Horse from left 2 of her bullies and a lab mix outside while she ran to the store (they live in NC), and when she got back they had somehow opened the gate to the pool and the bullies had drowned in the pool, despite her CPR efforts, they didnt make it. A good lesson to all, never, ever leave your bullldogs unattended around water and the hot weather, even if its just for a few minutes. I feel so bad for her and those poor dogs, but she's also been raising english bulldogs forever and always had a pool, so I question why she would ever leave them alone outside in the heat with a pool that the dogs can get access to...

Oh my goodness how awful! I cant understand why you would leave them outside while you left anyhow but guess that doesnt matter now. That guilt will weigh on her forever, just sad!

Gertie's mom, that is funny~quite the drive for you I would say huh? ;) I always wonder when I go how many of the people there I have talked to on bulldog forums. hehe

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles

WOW how sad!!! well i live in TEXAS and boy is it HOTT outside. I usually just let spike out to go
pee and poop and we come right back in although he wants to lay under a tree and take a nap...
he loves being outside but i know with his white coat he can't get sun burned really easily but let me convince
him of that...lol. the other day we went to dallas and he rode in the back with me and the AC was on full blast
and he wouldn't stop panting...i was starting to get scared. he was drinking plenty of water and would give
him ice as well but he wouldn't stop panting until we got home. i turned the fan on and he layed in front of
it for awhile then he fell asleep... :( i can't wait for it to get cooler here so he can go out and play with my
brothers.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.