Pneumonia at 9 weeks

autodidact

Jun 25, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Joey
Our new puppy, Joey, has had a runny nose and slightly rapid breathing for a few days. Today she began coughing and we took her to the vet. We were told she has pneumonia, but we caught it early. She is still receiving 97% of the oxygen she needs. She was sent home with us along with some antibiotics.

My questions is, has anyone been through this, and what can I expect from this ordeal? From what I've read throughout this site, this should clear up in a few weeks. I keep telling myself I'm worrying about this too much because this is my first bully (and puppy for that matter). I've included a picture of her relaxing on the vet's scale for your entertainment.

wqzvag.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome to ebn, your baby is a doll!

This can be serious if it is pneumonia. If she does not eat or drink I would rush her straight back to the vet for fluids. Hopefully this will not be the case since you caught it early. Just something to watch out for.

Starrbulldogs

Jul 14, 2010
Do you have a nebulizer machine or are you able to rent one from your local pharmacy? The best thing you can do if nebulize him every 3-4 hours. It will break up the crud he has in his lungs. I have been breeding Bulldogs for 10 years now & have been though this a number of times...trust me it works :)
We have one of our past puppies back with us right now because he got Pneumonia after receiving the Nasal Bordetella Vaccine. If you can get one I can tell you exacting what to do. My e-mail is [email protected] if you need me. Take care & I hope you little man is feeling better real soon!!!

Laurie

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh what a cutie! Glad you caught it early but i would still be concerned, it can be very serious. I have seen a lot of puppies here get it, must be a common thing I guess? Keep us updated please! Oh and welcome. More pics please. :)

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
Yes I went thru it several years ago with Goober they told me to keep him on the antibiotics, use a nebulizer on him several times a day then pound on him to help break all the phlegm up, with his head down and take off alot of his excess wt like your baby. That hurt him and me more than anything she told me that fat dogs cant breathe well, you might have them check her trachea if its small that may be why she developed it or she may be more prone to it again. I know that by the time Goober was well enough to stay home I had already spent about 4000.00 in vet bills and play taxi cab service daily to him, I would have to pick him up every nite and transfer him to the emergency clinic so they could treat him then pic him up in the morning and take him back to my regular vet, He actually stopped breathing twice during this period

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor baby dog such a beautiful pup, glad you caught it early. Hope he gets well soon. We will be thinking of him, please keep us posted.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Big hugs from Duke and I... hope your sweet baby feels better soon. Looks like you got some great advice. :) please keep us posted.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have no experience with this but some of the comments above are great. Poor Joey!!! I feel so bad for the sick puppies. She is soooo cute! Thank you for sharing her picture. Keep us posted on her progress and I hope she is feeling much better very soon.

1badchicken

Feb 23, 2011
Austin Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Cali
Yes we did. Kali picked it up when I was gone.... It was terrible and Haley didnt catch it fast enough. She was near death and thanks to the EBN family she is still alive today
When Kali was released she still had minor head tremors.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
What a precious puppy! I would be just as worried! So good you caught it early..hopefully soon she'll be as good as new! She sure gets stressed at the vets!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.