had Sarah at the vet today

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Okay I took Sarah to the vet today for her shots and while I was there I let her look at her interdigital cysts which seem to have multiplied in the last month or so and her ear has been red and swollen on and off lately to. I thought it was maybe just seasonal since its been very bad here lately and mommy has been feeling it to but now im not so sure.
Sarah has a yeast problem due to allergies. She has had an interdigital cyst on both front feet for a good while now. Then when i put her on nvi she got one on her back foot. Then I switch to holistic select lamb and all seems to be better. Her tailpocket is clearing up, her back is growing hair, hair is growing on her belly, she just seems better. Well bout a week into it i go for more food as i know to buy small bags and test and then get bigger bags. Well no lamb so we go duck. Same ingredients exactly exept duck instead of lamb. Im like ok np. Well her tailpocket, back and stomach are all much better but she has like 3 more cysts now. 3 on one front paw, one on the other one, back foot looks like there are 3 together, and the other back foot now has one. Her pads are looking some better but her ears are not.

Ok so is this food? Can a food make some things better and some much worse? seasonal? The vet scraped and nope not mange but is bacterial so we have antibiotics and ear drops and shampoo to soak feet in and mommy has nooooo more money. lol.
I have today went and bought her the lamb kind again that i started her on in case it was the food setting her off but was curious what others thought about this. Sorry so long. I think im already leaning toward the food but maybe its not.
Any help would be appreciated.

mandyjo

Jun 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I don't know about allergies, but Lola usually eats dog food with chicken in it, they were out so I gave the same food with lamb instead and she got diarrhea and started throwing up.

gizmo49ers

Feb 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco, Roxy, Nico, Tank
Bullies can be allergic to many things from food to environment,etc. As for the cysts, soak the paws in the tub with cool water. I was told not too warm or hot, it flares them up. Also put Epsom salt mixed in the water, just enough water to cover to ankle. Soak them for about 15-20 minutes if your bully will allow it. The epsom salt helps to bring down the inflammation. My bully boy gets them often. Try to stay on top of the ear cleaning and wrinkles, so you don't have to make trips to the vet as often. I have 3 bullies, so I am familiar with the bills they can bring. As for changing the diet, try not to do that too often, it can cause upset stomach and then you'll have another problem on your hands. Hope this helps.

stephsbullys

Sep 29, 2010
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank, Dixie, Bristol and Bubba Jay
I have 4 bullies, one has a really bad problem with yeast (ear infections, cysts, tail, etc.)...one has a really bad problem with bald patches on her coat, one has one eye that flares up like cherry eye occasionally and the other is normal, so far! When I switched them from Blue Buffalo to Nature's Variety, I talked in detail to the owner of the feed store that I was purchasing the food from. There are only a couple stores within a 30 miles radius that sell NV. Anyway, she was telling me that anytime you could feed your dog a venison based formula of food that you should. She said (her opinion, of course) that over the years all of the pet owners she has talked to have had the best results when they use the venison based foods, especially with yeast. With my dogs, Tank's yeast problems have all but disappeared. He always had ear infections and the interdigital cysts, now none! Dixie's hair has started growing back in, and bless her heart she was beginning to resemble a Chinese hairless dog on her sides! We had her tested for mange, washed her in medicated shampoo, put miconazole spray on her...nothing worked until we changed her food. Bristol's eye flare ups have almost completely stopped and Bubba Jay is still normal, lol! So, in my opinion, I would try a venison based NV to see if that helps????

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]! I'm so sorry! Poor Sarah! Poorer you!! :eek: I don't know enough about food..just wanted to give you :hug: hang in there...I'm in the mountains so not on hardly at all..will check in tomorrow!

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah is much better today. ears clearing up and feet getting better. Also what do you put on interdigital cysts? neosporin? hyrdrocortisone? I think I was putting the wrong stuff on them as they were not getting any better before. Anyway she is so much better that I think I will stay away from fowl for her. Its deer all the way now.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You can put prep h on them I believe and yes soaking in epsom salts helps greatly. Glad it seems to be better now. Amazing what a food can do, good or bad, to a pup. A good thing came from this experiment tho, you now know that duck is a no-no for her so that is good. So hard to figure out what our bullies cant have or dont agree with so at least something good came from it.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
hi there.. Duke has severe allergies that we have managed to get under control about 90 %.. after many many food trials, allergy testing, allergy shots, meds etc.. My advice would be to skip all the trial and error and take your dog to a vet dermatologist and find out exactly what she is allergic too. We had Duke tested and here he was highly allergic to wool?? we had wool blankets all over the house.. once we got rid of these the cyst on the paws and the ear infections cleared up?? he also is allergic to some molds? We give Zrtec ( two tablets ) every 24 hours and he gets a very low does steriod every other day.. this keeps all at bay.. allergies are NO fun but trust me I spent a year and a ton of money trying to find out what he was eating that was causing this and it was not the food. Now I do want to add once everything calmed down I put duke on NVI instinct beef and now is his coat is beautiful and I rarely have to clean his ears?? so the food makes HUGE difference in their immune system etc..

Hope I did not confuse you.. I just wished when poor Duke:*( was going through all of this i would have had him tested much earlier.. Good Luck to you.:luv:

Oh in the meantime I would soak her paws in Epsom salt baths then dry her paws really well with a soft towel.. this helped alot for Duke.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well...could be food...could be something else. For Gator it was DEFINITELY the food. You can also use peroxide on them. That is what the vet suggested as well as others here. For Gator I really think it is a poultry issue. He seems ok as long as the poultry is not the main protein in the food. Good luck! It sure is tough to figure out what the problem is!

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Yes i do see allergy testing in my future i guess. Ive thought about it but it seems i will have to travel about an hour to get to where they do the testing and then the money involved has kinda held me back. I guess im already spending that at the vet so I guess I should just do it. Ive often felt like I was just pissing in the wind so to speak with these allergies. I love Sarah to death but it is a daily challenge with her. Thank you everyone who has given me advice. I am going to get some epsom salts and the vet game me some shampoo to soak them in to. I will try the peroxide as nothing else seems to work cept to keep the itching down.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online