Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm switching my blog over to here so I can keep an account of Vegas's seizures....

june 1st 2010
We have upped Vegas's meds and are now on our 3rd week. I haven't been keeping a very good account on his seizure activity, so I'm going to try and start.

We had a pretty busy weekend. We started with a 8 hour drive on Thursday, May 27th. We gave Vegas is seizure meds a little late. Normally 8am and 8pm are the times when they are fed and he is dosed. Since we were on the road, Vegas didn't get his meds until 10am.
Vegas was wishy washy all weekend. Normally he is the bulldog that loves everybully, everybody and every other funny looking dog. Since Orion, his attitude has changed. He seems to be a tad bit more aggressive, even if she is nowhere around.
Last time we went quading, Vegas had a pretty violent seizure. I would say it was a Grand Mal. I decided to give him a diazepam each night to help him settle. He did great all weekend. We drove the 8 hours home on Monday, and both babies got a bath as soon as we got home. We got them fed on time and Vegas was in bed pretty early. I did not give Vegas any Diazepam last night. I figured he was at home and comfortable and did not need the extra meds to help relax him. Tuesday, (today) Vegas and O stayed home with their Grandma. She commented that Vegas was a little ruff with baby O, but they were pretty good for the most part. Tonight, I was folding laundry when I heard Vegas go into the bathroom. We have a little 3 tier glass shelf that we stack extra tp on and a few magazines. Vegas climbed onto the bottom shelf. This was not an easy task for our big boy to complete. I was in between being shocked and amused. I called my husband over to help me get him off the shelf, when I noticed his upper body start to tense up. I finally managed to pull him off the glass shelf, just as a seizure hit him. I have to say that this seizure only lasted about a minute and was not as violent as the last several have been. Maybe the increase in Phenobarbitol was a good idea. After the seizure passed, Vegas took about 3 minutes to regain his composure and trotted off to eat his dinner. No post-icle pacing at all. He settled down in Mark's lap and closed his eyes. Let's hope that he sleeps thru night without side effects from the seizure and without the extra help of a diazepam.

Last edited:
OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Finally a Sunny Day!!!

It's June 5th. Usually in Washington State, we start hitting the good weather. The only thing we've had this year is rain, rain and more rain. What more would you expect from Seattle. The Vampires in Forks should be happy. Last night Vegas had a "ruff" night. I don't know what his problem was, but he was mad at the world. My husband and I went to bed late...when I say late, I actually mean early. 3 am. Maybe he was mad that it was so far past his bedtime. He is usually ready about 10pm. When we got into bed with Vegas right smack dab inbetween us, he would not lay down. He started a low rumbly growl and would not let me sleep. He actually swatted my head with his paw like he was a cat. My husband finally banished him to his kennel. We don't make him sleep in his kennel because of his seizures. We like to know when they are happening so we can help him thru them.
Vegas got up around 8:30 and had a good day. Orion usually likes to play ruff with Vegas, but today Vegas was playing ruff with Orion. He seems to get aggressive before he has a seizure. I'm hoping he was just tired and irritable. It was actually sunny today. It almost hit 70 degrees out.....It seems as if all the normal stores are not carrying the hard plastic pools. Vegas's grandma even looked online and found that people were posting that they were "hard to find". Well, I went to McLendons and found one. Even though is was 8pm, I filled it with water and Vegas jumped right in. O on the other hand isn't sure what the heck the pool is all about. She turns 1 on June 17th......she is so small. She's the size of a Frenchy. She might need help getting into the pool! Hopefully tomorrow will be warm and sunny......but the forcast is calling for rain!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Tuesday June 15th 2010 6:15 am

Just as my alarm was getting ready to go off, Vegas had a seizure. I've mentioned this before, but Vegas sleeps in the bed for this reason alone. I'm wondering if I could have prevented this one. Early this morning, Vegas must have been cold, because he stuck his head under the covers and proceeded to crawl under the covers to the end of the bed. Usually when he does this, I'm awake enough to pull him back up to make sure that his head and nose are uncovered and he's receiving air. (I usually have to wait till I hear snoring, or he will pout and push his way under the covers again) I neglected to do this, so I'm unsure how long he was under the covers and if getting too warm could have triggered the seizure. Usually my husband and I work together to help him thru these, but I was flying solo this morning. I have to use my legs to brace him in an upright position so he doesn't roll onto his back. This happened once, and he ended up with aspiration pnuemonia. This one really took it out of him. After the seizure was over, I wiped his face (if you haven't seen the video of his seizure, he foams at the mouth and the movement of the seizure causes the foam to travel) then I just touched him and talked to him until he started to come around. I have 2 sets of stairs, and his little legs wouldn't cooperate. I managed to get him down the stairs and outside to do his business and get some fresh water. Now he is wandering around unsteady. I think I'm gonna kennel him so he doesn't fall off the couch or something else while I get ready for work. I feel so horrible for leaving him today. Usually on Tuesdays we have his grandma bully-sit him, but she's out of town so he will be home alone. **sigh** I hate this!

Last edited:

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
No problem, I think it is a marvelous idea.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
July 5th 2010. Vegas enjoyed the firework show last night. He was running around the backyard watching the color show. The loud booms and bangs did not startle him at all. We brought him inside and he wanted back out!! Silly boy. This morning, (again) just at my alarm was going to go off, Vegas had a seizure. At first he sat up and seemed to try to be turning towards me. I thought he was ready to get up, but it was just a muscle tensing thing. About 30 to 45 seconds of extreme twitching and foaming and it was over. He's sitting right next to me on the couch snoring away. Dad is home with him today. I have the feeling that Vegas and daddy will both be snoozing ALL day long.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Re: Jiune 1st 2010. Vegas's health diary

July 17th 2010. Vegas had a seizure out in the yard. I had no idea it even happened until I heard him back inside panting like crazy. I turned around and his little face was all foamed up. I felt bad knowing that he was alone during on of his episodes. He recovered quickly and I left for my photoshoot with the kids. During this time is when he got into the pantry and had himself a snack of corn meal. Vegas threw up his dinner/meds Saturday late/Sunday early. Didn't get any sleep. He has loose stool and he's thrown up twice. Sunday he threw up his breakfast in the yard and his dinner around midnight.
Monday morning he didn't come running with the sound of his food hitting his bowl. That was a huge concern. If he wasn't going eat, I atleast needed to get his seizure meds into him, so I took them to him. He wouldn't eat them, so I came back down and just gave him his phenobarb. The potassium bromide builds up in the system, so I wasn't too worried about that one. When I went back upstairs with the pill wrapped in the cheese, he had wandered off into another room. I caught up to him right before he had a seizure. Very small one. Right after the seizure, he gulped his meds and went down the stairs looking for his breakfast. He kept his breakfast down. Still has loose stools. Dinner time has come and Vegas will not eat again...or take his meds. The vet told me to force the phenobarb down his throat. I really tried. Vegas had another seizure, then went to his bowl for dinner. He ate some, not much. I still had to force him to swallow the pill. If things don't improve tomorrow, I'm taking him in. I'm so worried about him.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Re: Jiune 1st 2010. Vegas's health diary

Oh dear :( I sure hope he gets better... :(. Bully hugs....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online