Small Trachea...excessively small?

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
Wondering if anyone has any insite into the typical size of an English Bulldog puppies (4 months) trachea? My Samson is currently hopitalized with pneumonia and the vet has told us that this could potentially be a reccuring issue (the pneumonia). I realize that ALL bulldogs have smaller than average dog tracheas, but does anyone have a size that the trachea should typically be? The vet did mention that he COULD grow up and have a normal size trachea, but getting him to that point may not even be possible (according to the ER vet.) Also, I'm pretty sure the pneumonia started as the result of the nasal bordetella vaccine, even though my vet and the vet that he's under care with right now has said otherwise. Totally stressed out right now, so I apologize for the grammar and spelling!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I understand your stress. My cousins EB had the same problem, had gotten pneumonia twice and actually had surgery on the trachea .. I am not sure how big it should be but this unfortunately is somewhat common for our breed ( the english bulldog).. Anyway her EB is going to be 3 soon and is very healthy and grew out of the other issues that were surrounding this. Also the ER vet is just being aggressive in his speaking. When my cousins bulldog was first diagnosed they wanted to put him down. she did her homework and found a vet that specialized in english bulldogs who said that Lucas would be fine.TRY to relax.. I am sure more people here will answer you.. Big hugs.. and hope Samson feels better soon!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
your pics are adorable didn't see them yesterday.. keep thinking positive. Wanted to bump this to see if anyone else responds with this issue or with advice. :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwww..I am so sorry you are so worried right now! I'm pretty sure I responded to your other thread. We all care so much for these babies and it's very hard to try and remain positive. Right now you just need to focus on getting him through this illness. I hope he's better today. After that you can find out what your options are and I'm sure there are people here that will offer you some advice. I don't have any experience with this but just wanted to let you know I care! :hug:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We are praying for you and your pup, I know it is ruff having one so sick. I hope Samson gets better soon. Please keep us posted.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I don't have experience with this issue either but I did want to say that the best thing you can do right now is get him through this bout with pneumonia and then take him to a vet that specializes on bulldogs to get an opinion on this and any other concerns you might have. There is a list here on the site as well as a list at the site of the bulldog club of america.

Anyway, hugs to you and Samson. Keep us posted on his progress.

OP
Mod85

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
Thanks guys. We're going to have him looked at by a bulldog vet to see what their opinion is. The LAST thing we would want to do is put our puppy to sleep (which was the ER vets recommendation if he continues to get pneumonia) :(

natemoore

Aug 4, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
little bit of honey bear (bitty)
my bitty also has a small trachea. there are varying degrees of this ailment determined by the percentage of the spinal column the trachea is.

the small trachea can cause pnemonia due to aspiration of food or other things. a few tips that might help.

1. wet the food for ten minutes prior to feeding.
2. if your puppy gulps put a good size rock in the food dish to force him to eat around so he doesn't gulp his food.
3. keep him calm and don't let him get worked up.

I have done some extensive searching on this topic and i have found that there is a pretty good chance that once the puppy reaches twenty weeks or so even tho his trachea is still smaller than normal they can live a normal happy life/.

the key is to get them to that age while managing the pnemonia and trying to prevent the reccurance of it as the pnemonia can cayuse some permaenant damage.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Bulldog trachea size should be 7 to 9, smaller than a 7 could cause breathing problems. It is really important to keep your Bulldog's weight down and make sure your Sammy doesn't get overheated. He may also benefit from a palate clip when he is a year old. He can live a normal lifespan, but he can't be allowed to get fat or get overheated. I hope Sammy makes a full recovery from pnemonia.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online