Hailey Sue Skin issues--HELP!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
did she have antibiotics after surgery? i cant stress enough and i know that i sound like a broken record but the immune system is the core to a dogs overall health,if she has had antibiotics i would give her acidophilus which will help replace the good bacteria which is often destroyed by antibiotics,also as she has just been spayed it could be her hormones dropping ,when hormones go crazy it can cause hair loss/allergy symptoms,a good quality food and immune boosters will help,omega 3 or flaxseed is a great omega source and grass grown beef/organs are very rich in omega,im fighting allergy type symptoms which according to my vet and after doing a lot of research may have been caused by her first season,so i am boosting her imune system ,i also give her a product called canine puriphy which is milk thistle and other herbs which builds up liver function,i also put a tshirt on her to prevent secondary infection due to scratching also i put calamine lotion on her,but only on her belly where she cannot lick as it can make a dog ill if its ingested,i hope you can find whats ailing your dog ,its very frustrating and time consuming ,and a lot of trial and error,im trying to get my girl sorted by using all natural products ,as drugs and steroids only weaken imune systems so really though it cures the initial illness/allergy the issues will return,i do give antihistamines twice daily ,i give them at breakfast and bedtime as i find she itches more after sleep,as they do give instant relief ,ive tried to research hostilic antihistamine but cannot find advise!!,karen

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I dunno but im thinking if its the bedding washed in detergent that there would be more symptoms than on just one leg. id think it would be where ever the bedding touched. I think id start with changing the food immediately back to whatever you were feeding before that they were doing fine on and go from there. Please keep us posted and I hope hailey gets better.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
The "inner left leg" only ... ?

Doesn't sound like a "Food allergy/reaction" at all. Sounds like it could be bacterial, no way of knowing, but what did the VET do (other than put a inflatable collar on the dog)?

OP
H

haileysmomma

Jan 10, 2011
VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hailey Sue
HI All,
our vet conducted a skin scraping and Hails has demodex mange with a secondary infection from the mites...One antibioitc injection and ivermectin injection later and she's already improving!. WHEW.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad your vet did the scrape and found whats wrong so now she can get better, hope she feels better soon.

OP
H

haileysmomma

Jan 10, 2011
VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hailey Sue
Thanks Everyone! Hails' has had 4 injections and her hair growing back! YAY! She's becoming SO popular at the vet with her weekly visits!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh im so happy she is doing better. Its such a great feeling when your pet is improving.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Whew! What a relief. So glad Hailey is getting the proper meds. I saw that picture and it made me worry for her and you. I know how worrisome it can be when our bullies are ailing. When you have time put some more pics up as she is so cute.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.