haileysmomma

Jan 10, 2011
VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hailey Sue
HI All,
I'm hoping you guys can help me out!
Hailey is 7 months old...
For the past month, her inner left leg has been very red and it appears that her hair is sparse now. This seems to have occurred after her spaying and we initially thought it might be a reaction to have her abdomon being shaved from her surgery (and she was diagnosed with pyoderma) at her surgical appointment.

I took her to the vet and the vet said it could be an allergy to grass and advised we wipe her down after the yard (we do that) and give her benedryl twice a day. The vet thought she was licking her leg and prescribed an inflatable neck collar. We have NEVER seen her lick her leg EVER.

For the past couple of weeks, its been getting worse. Now it's getting pimple like bumps (whiteheads) and it feels warm to touch at times.

She's been on Nature's Variety Instinct Grain Free (Duck) for the past two weeks and I'm wondering if that's irritating her? She was previously on NVI Salmon. We've stopped all treats...
Any thoughts? Does this sound like demodex mange? I've google pictures of that and it doesn't appear as it's her entire little leg?

Thanks for all of your help!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Would you be able to take pics? It may be the new food since you mentioned that you've only recently changed it. When was she spayed? Sorry about all the questions, just trying to put everything together.

OP
H

haileysmomma

Jan 10, 2011
VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hailey Sue
HI All,
I'll take some pictures tonight definitely! Also, she was spayed on May 18th. Other than this, she's been a complete easy doggie! I'm just worried about her!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
HI All,
I'll take some pictures tonight definitely! Also, she was spayed on May 18th. Other than this, she's been a complete easy doggie! I'm just worried about her!

We're all worried about her too. Once you're a member here, you're part of our crazy family. :p

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Do you have her sleep on anything?? Doggie bed or blankets?
I had an issue with Bruno and realized the detergent we were using to wash, was what was causing the irritation.
My vet suggested I try a hypoallergenic detergent for babies, which I did and he did improve but not completely. I eliminated the detergent completely and now wash his stuff every two days in the hot cycle with just a capful of bleach and it has all gone away.
Give it a shot. Take away the detergent for a bit and see how it goes.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some good advice above to try also it still may be the food. We had to try several brands until we found one that worked. Currently we feed FROMM 4 star and so far so good. Would like to see the pics too the get a better idea.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Like [MENTION=1104]jortiz9758[/MENTION], I was going to suggest the detergent you use to wash your bullys linens. Also , dont use any wool or coarse materials for the bedding. (only use cotton).The shampoo you use should be an oatmeal one.But I suspect like someone mentioned it could be an allergic reaction to the new food.

OP
H

haileysmomma

Jan 10, 2011
VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hailey Sue
HI! We've been bathing her with Johnson's baby shampoo since she was a baby so I'm thinking that's not it...
I'll definitely try the detergent idea...She LOVES to eat her beds so we're on bed number 5 (YES 5!!).

I'm off to do a belly photo shoot and will post pictures asap!
thank you all for your help and support!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
HI! We've been bathing her with Johnson's baby shampoo since she was a baby so I'm thinking that's not it...
I'll definitely try the detergent idea...She LOVES to eat her beds so we're on bed number 5 (YES 5!!).

I'm off to do a belly photo shoot and will post pictures asap!
thank you all for your help and support!!!

FYI...johnsons baby shampoo is full of harsh detergents! They just took out what makes your eyes sting! My hubby used to work for a packaging company that mfg it! FALSE advertising! But it IS no more tears! [MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION] is right..an oatmeal based shampoo is great!

OP
H

haileysmomma

Jan 10, 2011
VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hailey Sue
IMG_0439.jpgIMG_0438.jpg

This is located on her back right inner leg...
It's worse tonight and I just gave her another benedryl.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would try some Neosporin or Benedril cream on it. If it does not get better in a day or two I would take her to the vet again, he may need to do a scrape to rule out mites. Hope she gets better soon.

Riley Monsters Mama

Jun 23, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
Bulldog(s) Names
Riley
Aloha,

My female bulldog Riley has the same issues. Around 8 months, she started getting these red bumbs on her belly and thighs. We took her to the vet, and they gave her some antibiotics and told us to keep up with the benadryl. It kept appearing 2 weeks later, so we had bloodwork drawn and they tested her allergies. Turns out, she is allergic to grass, mold and dust. We ordered shots for her that will desensitize her to these allergies. They have not come in yet, but am hoping it helps with the rashes and bumbs. We bath her w/ medicated medicene 1x a week, and oatmeal shampoo 2x a week with a gentle conditioner, also we give her fish oil and vitamin e with her food in the evening. Seems to be helping a lot until we get the shots. Good Luck!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.