Chlorpheniramine?

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Hey y'all!

Roxi went to the vet last Tuesday because I thought she might have an ear infection since she was always scratching at them.

Well, no ear infection.:D However, she has still been doing the spitting up thing and she had some hives and her face, ears and eyes were pink (not the normal bully pink).

So, he said that she was having so allergy issues...:ROFL: like I didn't already know that.:sarcastic: He asked me if when she drank if it seemed like she was never going to stop (like drink the whole bowl of water) and I said yes. He said she was doing this because to her, her face was buring, like her face was on fire. :confused:
I don't believe it is her food becaue she has been on Nature's Logic for about 7 months now and started having these probles recently. I just don't know what it could be other than seasonal allergies :cursing:
I was giving her benadryl almost daily for her pink ears, face, eyes but he prescribed Chlorpheniramine :down: and we have had no luck really.

Her eyes start out fine in the morning (color wise) but get worse as the day goes on. Same with her face. Also, I have noticed she is producing more tears than usual and I constantly cleaning/drying her face ( I used to do it 2-3 times a week!)

I am :pray: that someone on here knows what is going on. So any suggestions/comments/helpful ideas on what to do next? Roxi and I are :begging:ya!

Attachments

• IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Orion is also on Chlorpheniramine. Since she is so little...her max dose is 8mg twice daily. But..my pharmacist (I work in a pharmacy) says the ONLY one she has found to work is the 12mg ER. Orion is too small for this dose...but maybe you can try it. You could probably go to any pharmacy and find it on the shelf. If they don't have it..see about them ordering it for you. Make sure it's the 12 hours extended release. It's supposed to work better than benadryl. Also...my vet said you can try all the other OTC anti-histamines. Claritin and Zyrtec are two others. Just make sure you find out the right dose for the bully weight.

PS....grass is a huge allergy for Orion. She loves to play in it..but her litte eyes swell like crazy.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
after your bully has been outside wash her face down and paws,and underbelly,give antihistamine before bed and on getting up,the allergic reaction could be contact,seasonal,food ,even after years of feeding a certain food a dog can become allergic,source some immune boosting foods,supplements,if a dog has a slight lowered immune system they will get allergies/illness,its a real pain trying to find out whats causing the allergy and all you can do is elliminate and boost immune system,karen

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] Roxi is almost 40 lbs and she is on 2mg twice a day. How big is Orion? I am wondering if I should call the vet and ask if she should take a higher dosage? Have you used Claritin or Zyrtec for Orion? If so, which one works best? Roxi does well on benadryl but it does make her drowsy. Her eyes get so red and runny and her skin on her head is a bright pink ( not all of the time just periodically thoughout the day). I'm beginning to think grass may be one of the culprits but I'm sure there are others as well.

Thanks [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] I will definitely give her a good wipe down every time we come back inside.

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Okay, so I just got off the phone with vet. He increased the dosage to 4mg 2Xs a day rather than the 2mg 2Xs a day. I sure hope this helps her.
I feel so bad for her because I know it is no fun when you don't feel well. I am considering getting her tested for what she is allergic to.
Have any of you done this? About how much does it cost?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Im still on the food allergy trail. No matter how good of a food you are using there can be something in its make-up that your particular bully is allergic to. I think I would at least take a long hard look at her food's ingredients or try a different food just for the sake of trying.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
allergy testing is a bit hit and miss unfortunatly there can be a lot of false positives,your best bet is to do your own elliminating first,you may get lucky and hit on whats causing the allergy,its not always food either,karen

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] she was on Royal Canin Puppy when I got her from the breeder and I unfortunately kept her on it until she was about 5 months old. But once I switched to Nature's Logic it was like a different dog. Her face no longer smelled horrible and I went from cleaning her wrinkles everyday to about 2-3 times a week. Her stools were firm and almost like clockwork. Now, her stools are nothing like they were but still better than when she was on Royal Canin. Her eyes are so much brighter and her coat is gorgeous!
I would like to try FROMM but there isn't a store around here that sells it. The store that I work for has a variety of quality dog and cat foods but the owner does not carry FROMM yet. He is talking with distributors about it and a few other really good foods but it will at least be a few more months until he will carry it.
She didn't start having problems until mid/end of April that is why I thought it would be seasonal allergies.
I am a bit skeptic about buying dog food online that is the reason I haven't already tried switching.
I just don't want Roxi to suffer!

I think I have ruled out the allergy testing. I did some research and talked with a few vets and they all said they would do it but like [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] said it is hit or miss.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm with [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], I think it is the food. We have feed several foods some will do great for awhile then here comes the allergies, some food manufactures will change ingredients and you don't know about it or could just be something in it that takes awhile to show up. We feed FROMM 4 star now and so far so good. We buy it online @ petflow.com which has good pricing and is a sponsor of this site. When ordering use code "englishbulldog" at checkout.

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Sorry... and what flavor of Fromm do your bullies like?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They like the chicken a la veg, and pork a la veg ,have not tried the beef frittata veg yet. Another good food is Holistic Select. My girls did good on it but Buddy did not like it much and started itching on it. A friend of ours feed all her bullies this and no problems.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.