Weight Issue

Paulbocio

Jun 17, 2011
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Uhura
Hi guys,

My English Bulldog Uhura is is 4 months old. After visiting a pet store today and seeing another English Bulldog the same age but almost double her width, I'm a little worried. I'm not sure if we've been feeding her enough! We visited the vet 2 1/2 weeks ago and there wasn't an issue. She gets
1 cup of Nutrisource Large-Breed Puppy Mix in the morning and 8 hours later before she goes to bed.

Twice a day was what the breeder had her fed on, and that started with 1/2 a cup her first month. Should I double her servings to 2 cups per meal? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I dont know about your food, but you can follow their general guidelines. I feet my 5 month old two cups twice a day foer a total of four cups. I was feeding 1.5 cups twice a day but she was not looking like she was gaining so I upped it. My 8 month old gets 1.5 cops twice a day and he looks good on that. Every bully is different if she looks good to you and your vet then what you are feeding might be enough.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
How much does she weigh..and is she gaining? I read here not to follow guidelines on bag..they advise too much and you will probably overfeed. Also..read here not to feed large breed food. Others here will be better informed...and they will show up shortly!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have a 3 month old and we feed her a little over 2 cups twice a day.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not the best help cuz Cutty was full grown when we got him but I think I have seen most everyone giving 1.5 or 2 cups 2times a day for puppies. What does the bag say? (curious) I know puppies need a good amount cuz they are growing so much.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
when ive kibble fed pups i have always fed 3 times daily plus extras like cottage cheese,raw egg,then at 6 months changed to an adult food and kept up with the other foods and down to 2 feeds daily,as all bulldogs are different i wouldnt match yours to others different lines produce different sizes and as they dont stop growing till 18 months/2 yrs i wouldnt be too concerened,your bully is still a baby and very soon will have a growth spurt ,we cant have our bullys too fat anyway its so unhealthy for them,im, sure your bully will grow into a fine healthy specemin,karen

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
My little dude is 6 months old now and he's about 47lbs but very lean/muscular. His friend from obedience class is just a month older but has about 20lbs on him and a much different build. I too worried about the weight disparity but my vet has not mentioned anything and he falls nicely within the weight range for a bulldog for his age. He gets fed a cup and a bit three times a day of Acana's Wild Prairie blend plus whatever treats I happen to be training him with or using for his teeth. His food is also often topped with things like cottage cheese, cooked eggs, fish, cooked meat etc. and he snacks on carrots and apples. From all I've read about bulldogs (and dogs in general) there's no "perfect" way to feed your dog just as there's no perfect way to train them. You need to find things that work for you and your individual puppy and you'll be able to tell if she's eating well by watching other signs (like her stool, her coat, her eyes etc.) I gauge my dog's health based on that and his energy levels. He's a very active bulldog so the fact that he's fairly lean doesn't concern me too much. Plus I think a slower weight gain is better for them as it gives their bones opportunity to grow enough to support their mass. Just my opinion, anyway! Good luck to you and your baby. :)

Wrigley

Jun 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrigley (Wriggers, Wrigster, Mister Wrigs, Fatman, Lil Fatman)
As a pup I fed Wrigley when I could 3 times a day 1 cup. No with his adult food I feed him twice a day 1 cup each time. He is a lean muscular 52lbs. Was told by vet it was one the best weights he had seen on a bully in a while. He is 16 months now.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Someone else in a different thread recently said a puppy will not overeat. I don't know from experience because HRH was full grown when we got her. My suggestion however would be. If she is looking too skinny then increase by half a cup per feeding or start feeding 3 times a day. If she needs it she will eat it. If not she will leave it and you can cut back accordingly. she may just be genetically smaller than the other EB you saw. Our Princess is usually the smallest in the group unless there is a puppy in the group.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, and I did want to say that I fed mine three times a day up until about 4 months and then I fed the same amount twice a day. I really think you just need to look at her as an individual. If she looks good and not too thin, has a good energy level, has nice poops (firm), I wouldn't worry. I have not researched food enough to comment on the use of large breed food but I used regular puppy food for Gator (Wellness) and put Gypsy on an all stages food from the beginning (Fromm).

There are a couple of people here that are really knowledgeable about food....maybe [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] will pop in and respond. She always has great advice.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.