Head tremors

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Good afternoon all!

Havent been on in about a month due to many things going on @work and home:nope:. I am writing this post today because last nite @ around 12:20 midnight as Scott and I where getting ready to go to sleep, Mocha's little head started bobbling up and down uncontrollably :cry:. She is almost 2(will be 2 in August) and have never done this before. We where just in panic mode:cry:. We didnt know what to do. She was alert and she stood uat treadp but her head kept bobbing up and down. Scott grabbed her and kept on talking to her, I was hysterical, and then Scott said, go to your english bulldog website" "Go"! I could hardly type:nope:. Sure enough, there was a post about this very same subject! With lots of replies and advice about it. I send [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] a messege last nite, thanking her for her advice. but I would like to thank all of you!!:hug:This post are important and can save the life of your dog. Thank you to all that posted their advice in the tread! Thank you!

L

Lucy-licious

How is Mocha no @ LisaMarie?
The site is full of valuable info that can put everyone minds at rest in a stressful and scary situation. I am glad you found it comforting when you needed it the most. BIG HUG for you and mocha and your hubby too :hug:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I know the hysterics! The first time Vegas did this was because he was over-stimulated, I did post scared to death and took him to the vet the next morning. Joe was playing with him and had his favorite Monkey playing keep-a-way and Vegas started doing this with his head. Scared the crap out of me. Joe is no longer allowed to play with Monkey, actually it is off limits to anyone. How is Mocha today?

OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] -She is doing great! She has not done it since, thank God! That was the scariest thing ever. I tell ya, if anything happens to her I would go crazy!!! We also got some info on the tremors and just like you guys stated it is very common in Bulldogs and it appears to have the first onset at 2 years of age(Mocha will be 2 in August), so we are a little bit prepared now. We keep reliving the day , to see what did we do diffrently and I think she had her dinner a bit earlier that day and because Scott and I went over to visit our neighbors, she didnt get her evening snacks. My son was babysitting her and all they did was sleep. I also read something about calcium supplements, any thougths on that???

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
wow...I don't have any experience with this but I wanted to give you big :hug:. I am glad to hear she is doing better!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad you came on here---- I know if it happened to my bully's before I knew about them I would have freaked!! Luckily we have never had one, but knowledge is power. So glad to see you again! Miss you & Mocha!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
So glad you were able to search an find the thread! I totally panicked the first time Chunk had them - even knowing he was predisposed and having read all the info on here. It is just so scary!!!

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
Rocky just recently had his first head tremors on may 30th, I was also shocked,scared, and freak out just as u were...rushed him to vet and found out all the info that is posted here...
He spent night at hospital for observation and had two more while at vet....
Came home and had three more on the following day....

It's definitely frightening....

He hasn't had any since...so that is good...

Only advice or info that I got from vets is that they do not know what it is, what causes it, and basically anything....

They referred us to a neurologist but said that he may not be able to help him either...no meds or treatment available for these tremors

So basically we r praying that he doesn't have another or if he doesn't very far apart....

So I feel for u and know ur pain....

Jenna Zepeda

OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Thanks to all of you for your support:hug:Mocha had another episode last nite at 3:44 in the AM. I was not so hysterical(as much as I could be) And Scott offered her some milk and a little piece of a granola bar and she focused and it stoped. We thank you for all the great info because it has helped a lot. I dont want to bring her to the vets , because in that office all they suggest is surgery. I usually have to argue with them , and usually Im right. I will be getting her some calcium supplements tomorrow as they seem to have proven some what effective. Any suggestions are welcome:heart:I love you all!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION]...sorry it happened again..I can tell from your post how much calmer you are. Also..I'm a firm believer we know our dogs better than anyone.good for you..no surgery is in order here..hopefully the calcium will help. You should start a blog here and post what you are trying..dates..amounts..etc. Might help someone down the road..and a great way to document for yourself!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@LisaMarie Sorry I found this thread so late, but life has been so hectic lately.

Here's a video I took of Maggie having one of hers
YouTube - Maggie

You are going to find a LOT of different answers on here from people whose bullies suffer from these. And none of their reasons are going to be wrong, because I just think that each bulldog starts doing this for different reasons. It's not something that ONLY bulldogs suffer from but they are one of the breeds that are prone to it. So it could be a number of reasons ......

For Maggie it appears to be food, in the video you will see me offering her a treat which in this case is a baby carrot. I can be in the kitchen and cooking with her sat behind me and she is fine. As soon as she believes there is the hint of a possibility of her getting something then the head tremors will start! That's the only time she does it, so there is no treating her with little tit-bits of food when I cook because from then on I'm looking back and seeing what happens in the video!!!

I'll be totally honest with you ... I think they don't really care too much when it happens, and I think the horror of it is only felt by us. I hope this all puts your mind at ease a little. :assurred:

Last edited:
OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], That Maggie is adorable!!!! But, yes, that is what Mocha did. And you are right about that it could start for a number of reasons. i think Mochas scheduel has changed, because we are going to bed later that usual, we get up late , so her eating rutine is different. The weather here in VT is beautifull right now,so we are going more places and taking more walks. What I am trying to do is get her back into a set rutine again. Thank you so much [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] for the info!:heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online