Good News for Gator

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, we went to the "big gun" ortho surgeon in town today and he looked over the x-rays and watched Gator go up and down the halls and did all sorts of funky things to his legs and he said no surgery! YAY! He actually doesn't think that there is anything wrong other than a sprain. Whoop Whoop! He mentioned that he thought the x-rays looked fine and nothing abnormal showed up. He also said he looked great (skin, coat, eyes, upper airways) and that he agreed with me about food being a huge issue with allergies with these guys.

We are to keep him on strict limited activity for two weeks. Barring any big injuries to the leg, he will see him in two weeks for a re-check. He can't be out off leash, can only do to the four stairs required to go in and out of our house for potty breaks and cannot jump on the sofa or run and play with Gyps. He did say that if we can't keep him off the sofa, to get a ramp or some wide sofa stairs. So, there you go.

He is still velcro dog and not wanting to leave my side. He asked if I was giving the pain meds and I said no. I didn't because I felt that if it didn't hurt, he would try to do things he shouldn't and the doc actually agreed with me. He said sometimes they do more harm than good if the dog cannot feel that he is in pain and will do things to further injure themselves.

Anyway, maybe all of the prayers and good thoughts and slobbery kisses helped! Thank you so much for your support. You are the BEST!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
That's such great news!!!! Did he see what the other 2 vets saw on the x-rays?

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION]. He did see what they may have thought was an issue but he didn't think that it was at all. He seemed very knowledgeable about bulldogs as well. He did say that the front legs are the hardest to diagnose and that it is even harder on a bulldogs and dogs with similar front ends (dachsunds, bassets, etc.). He did a very thorough exam so I feel ok with what he came up with. BUT if things don't improve, then he said that the next step is MRI and that he didn't want to do that unless it was absolutely necessary as they have to put them under anesthesia for that and the less anesthesia they need to do on a dog (and a bulldog in particular) the better. I also did say right at the front of the appt that I wanted to be SURE as I did not want unnecessary surgery for him. Everyone else was kind of on the fence...saying it PROBABLY is the problem or they are PRETTY sure this is the issue kind of thing and I was a bit nervous about that. If we are going to do surgery, they better be SURE. Not PRETTY SURE. KWIM? Plus, Gator barely wobbled all day so that is a positive sign. He was concerned about his change in behavior but he didn't think anything else might be wrong to cause him to be so clingy other than his leg hurts. His appetite is normal, poos normal, pee normal, ears are good, no fever, etc.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Sounds like that was a great visit, yay for the 3rd opinions lol.

Mr lex has been very clingy with me here lately, he's ears aren't hot, he's is regular playful self so not sure... I know he hates when I leave for work or leave period without him so who knows. Lex is a mommas boy :)

Last edited:

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Great news :up: I went through the same thing with Moe, but didn't get to the xray stage... vet gave him some glucosimin and we limited his activity for a couple weeks, and it cleared up. The hardest part was not bringing him on our walks that he loves so much.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
YEA great news I am so happy for you and Gator, what a blessing. great job on your part for getting the 3rd opinion, it never hurts. I was thinking of Gator today at work and wondering how the outcome was, GREAT NEWS. :happydance:

L

Lucy-licious

I am so relieved he is ok. Now go snuggle on the couch with your hubby and Gator, don't forget gypsy too, and breath a great big sigh of relief. :hug2: I am so so happy for you and Gator :dance:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
:dance3::happydance::dance: So glad to hear the news!!! He is feeling pain so of course he wants to be velcro with mommy, I am so glad no surgery is needed. It is not the surgeries that scare me when one of our fellow members have to have it. It is always the anesthesia that scares the crap out of me with our bullys!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:dance3::happydance::dance: So glad to hear the news!!! He is feeling pain so of course he wants to be velcro with mommy, I am so glad no surgery is needed. It is not the surgeries that scare me when one of our fellow members have to have it. It is always the anesthesia that scares the crap out of me with our bullys!!

I'm with you... the anesthesia is the scary part1

So glad Gator is going to be ok :D:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.