Gator needs surgery

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, we went to the vet for a recheck today after the bad news from the radiologist. The vet I saw is the one that does the ortho consults in the practice. The consensus between the two is that Gator has a fragmented medial coronoid. Ok, now that is the long name. The bottom line is that something in his elbow has separated and he needs surgery to correct it. Tomorrow we go to the big wig ortho surgeon in town and they will check again (3rd opinion) and if he agrees, then Gator will most likely have surgery tomorrow.

We went from "he probably sprained something" to "he needs surgery" in just a few days. I trust the diagnosis so far as the two opinions we have are from vets that are not connected and so the third opinion by the ortho surgeon will seal it. Apparently, it can be corrected and the only issue he "should" have is a higher chance of arthritis when he is older.

I told my hubby that they will be recovering on pillows on the sofa together. lol. Truth be told, I am terrified that something will go wrong.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh, I feel for you. But try to not worry and know that Gator will be in good hands w/people who are very knowledgable in their field. Will continue to say prayers and send good,positive vibes over your way.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Impossible not to stress over it I know. Will be nice when this is all over with! Just know he will be just fine and I am sure will enjoy the extra special treatment he gets in the process.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
we all feel the " truth be told"... you hang in there.. I will say some prayers.. he will do fine. Duke had surgery on his eyes.. had 115 stiches .. i cried my eyes out the whole day.. they recover VERY quickly and they do not " think" about it like we do.. you are doing the right thing.. please please keep us posted.. big hugs!:heart:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry to hear that, keep your head up and try not to worry too much, he is a strong and healthy boy and should come out just fine. We will keep him in our prayers. Bully hugs and kisses to you and him and tell hubby to make room on the couch haha. Please keep us posted.

L

Lucy-licious

Oh gosh [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION], try to stay calm and focused Gator is a healthy boy and in good hands. I hope your couch is big enough for 2 healing boys. Some summer vacation eh? At least your gonna be able to get lots of snuggles with your hubby n Gator while they recover :) chin up chick, thinking of you all xxxxx

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Oh I hate to hear this, like everyone has said he is young and healthy, and should have a speedy recovery. I would be worried sick too. My prayers go out to you and Gator. He has to heel quickly he has a date with Vegas!

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] I think we will be postponing our FL trip until he has recovered.. We were supposed to leave early next week. Now it may be more like the beginning of July. BUT we still wanna visit when we get there :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION], my door is always open when ever you can get here. Take care of your boy first, he is going to have to keep up, lol.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
While it's not the news we hoped for :pray: hope everything goes smoothly.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Well that stinks! Keep us posted on what is going on and you know we will offer support along the way. Hugs to Gator!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] I think we will be postponing our FL trip until he has recovered.. We were supposed to leave early next week. Now it may be more like the beginning of July. BUT we still wanna visit when we get there :)

If you get in the Jacksonville area, call me.

I know it is very hard to think about an injury type surgery. One thing to remember, Bullies love to lay around so the recovery should be easier than most other breeds. He will love all the lovin. Thoughts and prayers sent your way, I will looking for an update tomorrow.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online