Various Health Questions

valleygirl214

Jun 9, 2011
Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Valentine and Dolly
Hi,

We recently bought a 4-year old pure-bred EB that had been a Dam in a breeding program.

She was sold to us in "good health" upon my next day vet visit I found she had in infection in her eye, dry eye (that had been going on for some time and had not been treated consistently...if at all), and possible entropian issues.

She's been on antibiotics, tear medicine, and Optimune (sp) for about a week...her eye has cleared up considerably but it's still cloudy and a little red.

Anyone have experience in this...have you had this happen and the eye cleared up or did it always stay cloudy even with daily care.

Also...she has some scabs on the top of her head that are quite awful...not sure what they are from but she had them the day she came...I've been putting Neosporin on them and it seems to be helping them heal but I think she has some skin issues...she's got some other dry and itchy scabs that are smaller.

She's on Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato (what she came with)...we use Pinnacle and Blue Buffalo for our dogs and have had great success with it...but this is our first EB..we've had OEB's until now. Though our first OEB had skin and allergy issues and that's why we did Pinnacle...she had super soft coat.

Also...her coat is not very soft...it's quite coarse...is that just typical of some EB's...

TIA!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Do you mean like petting a porcupine???? If so, Princess Gracie's hair is quite stiff too. But the top of her head is soft as a babies' booty.

Gracie had rather cloudy eyes when she came to us,,,, she was a 'working girl' also. She also smelled, farted, licked her paws, etc. Obvious food allergy problem. Switching her to Fromm took care of most of those problems but occasionally she will get a little cloudiness to her eyes. We think it is seasonal allergies. Her vet gave her antibiotic eye drops and we give her a Benadryl if we feel she needs it. Rather than continually getting the eye drops from the vet, someone suggested Blink , lubricating eye drops from the drug store. IT WORKS and is a lot cheaper than running to the vet for eye drops. It seems to have helped with the enthopian problem as well. I think the lubrication allows the lower eye lid to not stick to the eye and curl inward. She no longer has that problem as long as we use the eye drops which is no big deal. We also flush out her eyes with saline solution that also cleans out the eyes. Oddly enough she doesn't seem to mind us messing with her eyes :heart:
Hope this helps. :)

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hi,

We recently bought a 4-year old pure-bred EB that had been a Dam in a breeding program.

She was sold to us in "good health" upon my next day vet visit I found she had in infection in her eye, dry eye (that had been going on for some time and had not been treated consistently...if at all), and possible entropian issues.

She's been on antibiotics, tear medicine, and Optimune (sp) for about a week...her eye has cleared up considerably but it's still cloudy and a little red.

Anyone have experience in this...have you had this happen and the eye cleared up or did it always stay cloudy even with daily care.

Also...she has some scabs on the top of her head that are quite awful...not sure what they are from but she had them the day she came...I've been putting Neosporin on them and it seems to be helping them heal but I think she has some skin issues...she's got some other dry and itchy scabs that are smaller.

She's on Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato (what she came with)...we use Pinnacle and Blue Buffalo for our dogs and have had great success with it...but this is our first EB..we've had OEB's until now. Though our first OEB had skin and allergy issues and that's why we did Pinnacle...she had super soft coat.

Also...her coat is not very soft...it's quite coarse...is that just typical of some EB's...

TIA!

I purchased my male EB "Maximus" last May. He was 4-months old. He arrived with Allergies and Entropion and Giardia. What ensued was ongoing weekly visits to the VET Opthamologist, eye stapling, ointment, eye drops, because he also had a lacerated cornea from the eyelids rolling inward. This on top of Giardia, which was resistant to treatment, and required multiple treatments, and months of chronic diarrhea. He was not looking good, plus he had food allergies as a result of being fed Eukanuba.

Maximus has come along way in the 13-months I've had him. But, just like your situation, Maximus has skin issues going on right now - scabby flaky sores on his face, back, head. Some of them are opened raw sores, and he is losing his fur. I have a VET appt. on Friday so he can be tested for MANGE, but I'm baffled with this onslaught of skin problems that has been going on for a month if not more .....

I have Maximus now on a "food trial" diet --- I've eliminated all poultry
and am feeding him Lamb exclusively, plus giving him Probiotics, and Omega 3-6 supplements. I've also eliminated dairy (Max likes Cheese).
He is now being fed Taste of the Wild Grain-Free Lamb.

So I hope to get a final diagnosis on Friday - or I may just have to take him to a VET Dermatologist. His skin looks bad .....

So I feel for you ......I know what you're going thru.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]--I may have suggested the Blink. I am so glad that it is working for your girl!! We use lots of it her with our girl.

[MENTION=2533]valleygirl214[/MENTION] by cloudy--do you mean the eyes have a bluish haze on the very top layer? If that is it my opthamologist said that they are called ghost vessels. When the eye is traumatized (scratched or irritated) blood vessels in the eye rush to the site of trauma. Once the trauma is healed the vessels shrink but leave a haze on the eye. It really doesn't affect the vision. Now, dry eye is a condition where the eye is not producing useful tears so adding something like Blink is going to help keep that eye lubricated. You can ask your doctor about other drops that will stimulate lubrication like cyclosporin and tacrolomis. If I were you I would start the Blink and see if she gets any comfort from that.

As far as her coat--I think like humans every EB is different. Lucy has very soft fur--it is like silk. My friend has a Bully with very coarse fur so I wouldn't panic.

Good Luck with the new addition to the family!

roxanne81

Jun 15, 2011
kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
bulldog
hello I have a 4 month old bulldog i bought from a friend for breeding.
her kneecap has been ripped from her tibila crest so she needs surgery.over 1000.00 to pin it together he also said she may always limp
the xrays show she has bad hips needless to say we will not be breeding her. i told the breeder i will not pay for the breeding rights as i can not breed her.
she told me my vet was wrong and the hips will be fine because other dogs in the line have been tested fine..she dosnt believe the hips are bad. she says she has never had a issue and no other pup of hers has ever had a issue in 7 years of breeding. i asked her how she knew that she said it had never been reported...if i didnt know her i wouldnt of thought to tell her about it so i think she is wrong on that .
she has not tested her dogs ofa. and she also informed me she would be happy to take her back and breed herself or resale to someone who would.
i will not give her back for that to happen... as i feel that is wrong.
the vet said it probly came from jumping off somthing. the tallest thing she jumps off of is 12inches.
dose anyone know if her hips would of played a part in the knee injury? or would the knee injury cause the bad hips?
the xray shows the right hip as bad and the left as WAY worse to me it looked almost dislocated....this side is also the knee side

i forgot to ask the vet and he is hard to get ahold of he is only vet he has like 15 helpers and his office is always packed and its very hard to get thru on the phone or i would just ask him...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.