Help!! First heat

chloesmom

Jun 14, 2011
I adopted Chloe in March and she just went into her first heat at 13 1/2 months. She started on June 3rd but she is still bleeding heavy. She has been out of sorts. Her food in-take has fallen by half. I am really worried about her. She still likes her treats. She is not nearly as playful as she has been (although the heat in SE Florida doesn't help). This is my first english bulldog (I've had male boxers) but I couldn't say no to her. She is so wonderful with my small kids (5 & 7) and really likes to chase them through the house, but since she's been in heat - she just sits and doesn't interact with them.

Should I take her to the vet?

I have been giving her extra tlc but she seems to go off by herself more and more. Usually she's my shadow.

Any advice would be welcome.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Welcome Chloes mom. I only have one female and she started her first heat when she was 5 months old. Yes she did lose her appetite a bit and became melancholy and just layed around alot. I got the impression that she was crampy and achey like we are when we are at that time of the month. The first heat was very heavy and I freaked a little but I got use to it and kept cleaning her naughty bits and basically kept her separate from my boy dogs. Those boys were more trouble than her! She spent part of the time in her pen but I let her go in the backyard to do her business and exercise by herself. It lasted three weeks but the final week was spotty. Now her heats are much lighter than the first one. I'm just glad it's only twice a year.
Well I would still take her to the vet just to rule out any other possibilities. Bulldogs who have ear infections can act very unlike themselves. Vet needs to look way inside the ear with his doctor tools and also to make sure she doesn't have anything else going on like a urinary tract infection. Bullies cannot get overheated and you must provide an environment that keeps her comfortable and provide fresh water. Hope this helps. Be sure to check back as there are lots of people here with good advice and LOTS OF EXPERIENCE! So please don't be shy and ask lots of question and of course we love to see pictures of your babies skin and fur ones.

OP
C

chloesmom

Jun 14, 2011
Thank you. Since I have never had to deal with a dog in heat, I'm pretty freaked out. She's been more affectionate today and actually ate her dinner. She's also following me around today. Still not playful but I guess it's understandable.

If I don't plan to breed her should I have her spayed?

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Well that is a personal choice. Make sure the vet you use specializes in bulldogs. They require special care during surgery since their faces are different from long snouted dogs because their breathing can be compromised. Regular vets are ok for routine stuff but I've found out the hardway that an experienced bulldog vet is the better way to go. You don't want to take a chance on your beloved bully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online