Back from the Vet with Vegas

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Ok, so I was right, he does have double inner ear infections! Not real bad since I put him on his Otomax 2 days ago myself, but Doc let me look and his ear drums were very red. He will remain on the Otomax for the remainder of the week.

About giving your bully Advil...NO!!!! it can cause kidney and liver problems!!! Tylenol too!! (thank you [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION]) You Can give a buffered asperin, but Doc said not to, that the Otomax is doing the job.

So why after a year with no ear infections he has had two the last month??? [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], you were right, he said the first one probably did not completely clear up and it became infected again. So WHY has he had two???? ALLERGIES!!!!!!! He said with the way Florida is right now he is seeing it every other dog he is seeing.

It is not due to food, just seasonal allergies. Uhg!! Doc told me to keep him on the Otomax for the next 5-6 days then once a week after, give him a squeeze full in each ear until it cools down....yea right cools down in Florida!!! After getting his anal glands done, an allergy shot, his ears treated he should feel like a new man by tomorrow hopefully.

Last edited:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Awww poor baby! Hope he feels better soon! My vet told me ear infections are often linked to allergies too and it's been a tough allergy season this year!

L

Lucy-licious

Lucky for Vegas you are such a great mom that you noticed straight away and were able to act fast :yes:
:hug: for Vegas and snuggles from Lucy too :flirt:
He'll soon be back to normal and following you to the toilet again :lol:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor boy, glad that's all it was. Hope he feels better soon. Dang allergies...

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Silly allergies! I am glad you found out what the problem is and are taking care of it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad you got him all fixed up! Do you put cotton in his ears at bathtime?

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], I do not get Vegas wet above the neck at bathtime. I use a washcloth with his special shampoo on his face and ears. Then a plain wet washcloth to rinse. That way he gets no water in his ears. The only time his ears gets wet is when I use the flush from the vet. I started doing this months ago because he hated getting his face washed with me dumping water over his head.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Poor baby. Glad he's on the road to getting better. It pays to know your dog well like you do and be able to get a jump on what's ailing him. Good job! I sure :heart: Vegas. I think I'm going start not washing Wilson's face when I'm bathing him. I normally plug his ears with cotton balls before he even gets into the bath but they're always soaked when I'm done bathing him. I'll use a washcloth from now on. Wilson hates his face too and it doesn't matter how careful I am either. Hope Vegas gets feeling better!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Glad to hear he's much better. Hopefully allergy season will end sooner than later so you both can enjoy the outdoor like what Floridians are supposed to do! :gum:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Poor Vegas. It must suck to have double ear infections. My bullies seem to be shedding extra right now and my poor Frenchton has such itchy watery eyes which of course is causing red yeasty wrinkles. Been giving everybody aller-chlor. It's just non-stop maintenance right now between the three of them.

I don't wash their heads anymore except with a soapy wash cloth (mild dog shampoo) and then I use a clean wet one to rinse off the shampoo.

When I suspect ears are bothering them I soak a cotton ball with ear cleaning solution stick it in their ears and squeeze the ear from the outside of the ear so the stuff trickles in. After the ear massage I take out the cotton ball and let them shake out the residue. I use to try the direct method of squirting in the ear but that always freaked them out. Oh, and every time I have to see the vet I always ask for extra Otomax whether I have some or not. Always have to think ahead and try to keep stuff on hand. Can't stand the thought of my babies suffering any longer than they have to.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Poor Vegas!!! Hope he feels better ASAP!!!

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
from what i've been reading in Dog World magazine, those ear products that the vets give you don't fix it - they only temporarily eliminate the symptoms. The vets won't or can't tell you about the things you can do yourself for your dogs' ears.

They keep you coming back and back and back again for Otomax and those other commonly prescribed otic medicines. The article talks about people that have dogs with chronic ear infections and how they found solutions outside of the veterinary world that work well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.