Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Demodex Mange

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Napoleon
    Likes (Received)

Question Demodex Mange

Hi guys,

I am new to the site and want to say first and foremost I love all the information that's available here and the nice people. The pictures are also great!!

My Napoleon was recently diagnosed with Demodectic Mange. We were given Ivermectin to treat with. I am wondering if anyone who has gone through this could please tell me what I can expect? I am giving such a small dose and gradually moving up but am wondering when can I expect to see some improvements in his skin/spots?

Thanks for all your help in advance. Have a good one!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Demodex Mange

Hi melody..welcome..I'm sorry I don't have any experience and advice for you..just wanted to welcome you! Have you posted an introduction? Everyone would love to meet you and your wonderful Napoleon!

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Melody and Napoleon. Napoleon is a cutie! I can't answer about the mange, but someone else with experience will chime in and answer your questions I'm sure.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Hi Melody - I just went through this with my puppy Truman. Good news! Expect Napoleon to be better in no time - Invermectin in a very effective treatment for mange, which is so common in younger bullies. You will see hair regrowth and better looking fur in short order!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Napoleon
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys!!

JAKEISGREAT: I did post an introduction a few minutes ago.

LariP: You were right! Thank you so much...so nice of you.

Sheshistory: Thank you for the reassurance. It has been about 10 days but am noticing more spots versus less. I do not expect miracles overnight but just wondered around when I can breathe a little. I am a worry wart.

Thanks again all.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I JUST saw it!! So nice to have you here! We are ALL worry warts! that's why we are here! To love a bully requires you to be a big old worry wart!

Jekyll is 7 years old and had demodectic mange every year and had to go to the vet for it. Then my son who trains horses bought me a jar of NU-STOCK. I applied it to the affected areas and it worked wonders. It is very inexpensive and top of jar says cures red mange. He has been free from this for 2 years now and we use it on cuts and scrapes as well. my son got it at a tack store but it is available on the internet too. Hope this helps. He gave 6.99 for a large jar.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We have been dealin w mange for a while now!! When lex was first diagnosed w it, we had caught it early and our vet gave us antibiotics and some cream. It cleared about about 3 weeks after. Well lex was shy of turning a yr and he got another outbreak from it, we did about 8 weeks of dips in the 8th he didn't show any signs of it we went in the next week for a scrap and he had some show up on the slide . So we are doin a flea med "forgot the name starts with a p" but it kills them we are gonna go back next week to see if the flea meds have helped, he has been on that for about a month and I can tell his hair is growing back and his face isn't as red and inflamed. Poor lex has had a bad case of this and I am so ready for it to be over with, cause next we will have to get his nostrils opened wider :/
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lexterwayne View Post
    We have been dealin w mange for a while now!! When lex was first diagnosed w it, we had caught it early and our vet gave us antibiotics and some cream. It cleared about about 3 weeks after. Well lex was shy of turning a yr and he got another outbreak from it, we did about 8 weeks of dips in the 8th he didn't show any signs of it we went in the next week for a scrap and he had some show up on the slide . So we are doin a flea med "forgot the name starts with a p" but it kills them we are gonna go back next week to see if the flea meds have helped, he has been on that for about a month and I can tell his hair is growing back and his face isn't as red and inflamed. Poor lex has had a bad case of this and I am so ready for it to be over with, cause next we will have to get his nostrils opened wider :/
    Just curious, @lexterwayne - is there a reason your vet has not tried Invermectin? To my knowledge, this is now the standard and most effective treatment of mange in most dogs.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@sheshistory this is the first ive heard of it, i was reading up on it just now and it says that ivermectin is sold has heartgard. lex has been on heartgard. so im not sure what the deal is.
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Stig had mange too and cleared up within 2-3 weeks I think. The vet gave us more than a month's worth of Interceptor and we still have boxes of it left. Napoleon will be better in no time, it may help boosting him immune system by giving him good food. =)
    Last edited by savemejeebus; 06-08-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lexterwayne View Post
    @sheshistory this is the first ive heard of it, i was reading up on it just now and it says that ivermectin is sold has heartgard. lex has been on heartgard. so im not sure what the deal is.
    It may be worth asking about since nothing else has worked and it was very inexpensive! We did the Mitaban dips with Linus and, for Truman, we got Invermectin because the vet told us it's more effective, less expensive, and less chance of something reacting poorly. Basically it's the medicine given in Heartguard but in a significantly larger dose (still tolerated well by most breeds of dogs, but that's why they have you increase the dosing gradually) and gets rid of the mites in similar fashion to fleas.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads