Demodex Mange

OP
M

Melody Diaz

May 30, 2011
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Napoleon
I treated Bruno with Ivermectin. I was wondering how much you are giving him and how frequent?? It helped with his mange but soon realized that taking the kibble away from him is what actually did the trick with the bumps he had on his body.

I am currently giving Napoleon 0.6 cc of Ivermectin daily. Today marked the first day out of five at this dose. He initially started at 0.2 cc and we have worked our way up to 0.6 cc and will move up to 0.8 cc for 5 days. Then we return to the vet for a new scrape and hopefully some good news.

The vet who diagnosed him told me that treatment of mange is a process and improvement sometimes doesn't show until the 3rd or 4th week of treatment. I am trying to stay hopeful and stick with it however, I worry so much. I am noticing so much more hair loss/hair thinning all over him. I am beginning to wonder if there is another issue going on or whether this is just part of the mange.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and personal stories and continue to welcome them.

This site is amazing, you guys are amazing. Thank you

OP
M

Melody Diaz

May 30, 2011
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Napoleon
@ Melody Diaz Did the Vet do any bloodwork by any chance? Thyroid?

No. There was no bloodwork done. I took him specifically for spots of hair loss. A scrape only. Was diagnosed with Demodex and prescribed Ivermectin. I am just noticing more bald spots coming up and it makes me worry. :confused:

I wanted to note that I feed him Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream kibble. I also give him fish oil twice daily. I am considering switching his food but don't know and either way....I have a 30lb bag at home to get through first. I also plan on getting some type of vitamin supplement to give to him in addition to the fish oil. I will also continue searching through different threads and gather additional tips and information in regards to remedies and products (shampoos, etc) that may help.

Thanks

PS I just looked at Napoleon's Rx bottle and noticed it is spelled IVOMEC. I have been pronouncing it IVERmectin. Just wanted to correct my type-o! :)

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, goodness. I didn't comment on this thread because I have ZERO experience with mange but I just wanted to say that you must be worried sick! I am sure that if something else is going on, you and your vet will figure it out soon. Please keep us posted on his progress. *hugs*

OP
M

Melody Diaz

May 30, 2011
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Napoleon
Oh, goodness. I didn't comment on this thread because I have ZERO experience with mange but I just wanted to say that you must be worried sick! I am sure that if something else is going on, you and your vet will figure it out soon. Please keep us posted on his progress. *hugs*

I will keep you posted and I thank you all for the support and concern. The great thing is I have learned that mange is common with bullies. It still isn't easy on my nerves. We are all worry warts here! :scared:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I also think a thyroid test might be in order if you continue to see hair loss. Thyroid disease is really quite common and easily treated. Prblem is ..most vets don't do the blood work until they've exhausted other avenues. Just a thought...I also am a great worrier..I figure my critters can't talk..it's up to me to do the talking for them. I'm sure Napoleon will be fine..he has a wonderful mommy!

OP
M

Melody Diaz

May 30, 2011
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Napoleon
Hi Guys,

Thought I would give an update. We revisited the vet this morning for a scrape and check up. Turns out Napoleon still has live mites! :*(

We were given another round of Ivermectin at a slightly higher dose to start on for 3 more weeks.....then back for another recheck!

While I have learned this is common in puppies and feel like things will be just fine, it is still nerve racking! I wish there was more I could do!!

Hope everyone and their babies are all doing well!!

Katie9449

May 2, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel Tank
My Beagle had this when she was a puppy and it wasn't fun! However, she improved greatly and had an awesome life! She was really tired about 2-3 days after treatment...then about 2 days before went fun puppy nuts ( you know those random circles and sprints through your house harassing everyone/everything they can find...then again and again till it was gone. It sucks...but the great part is knowing you are working so hard at making your baby okay!! Congrats on being such an awesome bully baby owner! :)

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
So sorry to hear your little guy still tested positive for the mites! Belly had it but is all clear now. She looked horrible..had it pretty good on the side of her face and top of head [MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION] told me about Promeris and I got a prescription from my mobile vet for it (regular vet was worthless) We did one treatment with it and it cleared her up in a few weeks and the hair grew back. It has Ivermectin in it and is another flea and tick treatment like frontline...unfortunately some dogs didn't handle it well so it's being taken off the market. Belly was just lethargic for a day.

OP
M

Melody Diaz

May 30, 2011
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Napoleon
So sorry to hear your little guy still tested positive for the mites! Belly had it but is all clear now. She looked horrible..had it pretty good on the side of her face and top of head [MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION] told me about Promeris and I got a prescription from my mobile vet for it (regular vet was worthless) We did one treatment with it and it cleared her up in a few weeks and the hair grew back. It has Ivermectin in it and is another flea and tick treatment like frontline...unfortunately some dogs didn't handle it well so it's being taken off the market. Belly was just lethargic for a day.

I will definitely look into this. Thank you somuch for the feedback!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=2476]Melody Diaz[/MENTION] how is your pup doing?? When you posted this, I did not have experience but I sure do now!! My girl also got it but it was only about 6 or so small spots. The vet gave me a cream but it made her skin bleed so I changed to her diet to raw and started using a mixture of 50/50 lavender oil and neem oil and it went away! The hair was growing back and then she got sick and had to go on an antibiotic and now it has flared back up so back to square one. I have heard lots of good things about Nu Stock as someone mentioned. I hope your dog is in the clear!

OP
M

Melody Diaz

May 30, 2011
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Napoleon
@Melody Diaz how is your pup doing?? When you posted this, I did not have experience but I sure do now!! My girl also got it but it was only about 6 or so small spots. The vet gave me a cream but it made her skin bleed so I changed to her diet to raw and started using a mixture of 50/50 lavender oil and neem oil and it went away! The hair was growing back and then she got sick and had to go on an antibiotic and now it has flared back up so back to square one. I have heard lots of good things about Nu Stock as someone mentioned. I hope your dog is in the clear!

Hi GatorRay -- thanks for asking about my Napoleon. He is actually doing MUCH better. I have neglected the site lately. Went on vacation and now getting ready for school!! After a unsuccessful run with Ivermectin my vet switched us to ProMeris. Out treatment was three times every two weeks. I was extremely skeptical about this method of treatment due to the bad articles I have read regarding ProMeris and it recently being discontinued but thankfully, it has worked!!! He no longer has spots and I am confident we are done with Demodex. Hopefully for good! I wanted to add that I switched to Fromm 4 Star and started giving Grizzly Salmon Oil with each meal about 3 months ago and most recently started giving Solid Gold Seal Meal this past week. I am doing all I can to ensure his immunity stays strong as a weakened or compromised immune system is connected to Demodex.

I am sorry to hear about your girl. It is so tough but stay with it and keep up on reading. In addition to this awesome website here -- there is a plethora of information out there. Keep me posted. Take care.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i am late with this but im so glad things are better. I dont think you can do much more than you are doing. Im glad the promeris worked. The vet gave us a single dose of that for sarah and when i got online and read all the bad reports i threw it away and stick with frontline. im glad in this situation it worked well.

midwifemama11

Aug 14, 2011
Seems like a good enough place to discuss this. My adopted bully, SLIM is recovering from demodex also. His last 2 scrapings were negative and his hair is all regrown but his white areas like his chin, jowels, chest and feet look red and he has puss filled lesions on his back and other areas. The are foul smelling when they ooze or are scratched at. The vet says that it is likely a secondary infection but she did not offer to culture it or anything :-/

She suggested peroxide and hibiclens baths and gave him an rx for 3 weeks of antibiotics.

I am a midwife and I know that in humans over use of antibiotics and antibacterials, like what she suggested bathing him in bi weekly, can cause an OVERGROWTH of bad bacteria and fungus, like YEAST that seems to be common in bully breeds. He is on a high quality food BUT it does have potatoes in it :-/
I am supplementing him with apple cider vinegar twice a day in water but I'd really like to know if anyone here has some suggestions for more natural treatments that might help him restore his natural flora so that he is not so succeptible to these secondary infections. Also, does anyone here have suggestions for natural ways to boost his immune system? I wouldn't let them give him the rabies vaccine this week. I'm thinking of continuing the colloidal silver treatments and topical application to his puss filled lesions. I saw the Nu-Stock recommended as well, I'm going to stop by the feed store this week.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.